PDA

View Full Version : Bleach on poison Ivy?

lawndreamer
07-03-2003, 07:07 AM
I heard you could put bleach on poison ivy and it will dry it up faster. I also heard to put alcohol on it. I think alcohol would burn wouldn;t it? I'm ate up with it and over the counter stuff isn't worth the money. I've already spent 25.00 on o-t-c stuff. Hasn't done a thing!

Any suggestions?

kickin sum grass
07-03-2003, 07:12 AM
no one can tell ya to put bleach on your posion ivy for obvious reasons. But I can say that when I have poision ivy real bad I find it is a good time to make up a bleach solution and was the side of the house, patio chairs etc.

Rich's Lawn Care
07-03-2003, 07:46 AM
the best thing for it is to fill your bath tub up with hot hot water and get in and srub it with a face cloth. i got it out of a home remedy book and it work good. i did it at night and it helped me sleep and not itch.

MOW ED
07-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by lawndreamer
I heard you could put bleach on poison ivy and it will dry it up faster. I also heard to put alcohol on it. I think alcohol would burn wouldn;t it?
Any suggestions?

Bleached, DRUNK poison I'vy is no guy I want to be around.

I thought you want to kill the poison Ivy plant NOT injure yourself further.
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE BLEACH!

I know you heard me,
DO NOT USE BLEACH. Alcohol is no better.

That is unless of course you want to go to the Emergency room to take care of 2 problems instead of one.

Get to the Doctors and get a prescription.

Gravely_Man
07-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Next time try a product called Technu which is available at Wal-Mart for removing the poison ivy oil before you start to have a reaction. Best of luck getting that cleared up.

Gravely_Man

kaufmaninc
07-03-2003, 09:22 AM
I get Poision Ivy about every 3rd week. You'd think I'd learn to wear jeans by now! Nothing over the counter works. It's a form of Contact Dermatitis. The only way I can get rid of is a shot from the dr., which jumpstart the healing followed by a weeks worth of Prednisone. Dr. nows me and writes script for multiply refills.

bushwoods1
07-03-2003, 10:08 AM
I have good luck with rubbing alcohol. I keep a bottle in the truck, and wipe it on right away when I think I have gotten into some. If you have it already and is real bad, don't screw around and let it get worse, get a perscription.

yardmonkey
07-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Lasts about 2 weeks. Spend a few minutes in the shower with the water as hot as you can take it. This will exhaust the histamines in the skin and you will not itch for 5 or 6 hours. This trick has got me through a lot of nights. Shoot the hot water right onto everywhere that itches, it will feel good for a few minutes. And like magic, the itch will be gone for awhile.....

hnter
07-03-2003, 10:35 AM
i deal with poison ivy every summer...the tecnu works well to wash off the oils immediately after exposure, but you have to know you've been near the plant and for some reason i never seem to see the stuff, it just gets me...an over the counter product by oak-n-ivy called calagel provides the best itch relief and speeds the drying and healing...hydrogen peroxide is good for cleaning and drying any areas that get scratched open (and that happens a lot with me)...i'm not sure if the hot water thing previously mentioned actually aids in healing but it sure feels good...stand in the shower with HOT water running and as soon as it hits the affected spots you'll feel it...some say benadryl helps relieve the itch, but it doesn't help me...avoid the bleach/alcohol...and the best bet for the real bad stuff is a trip to the dr...but who has time for that?

Shultz
07-03-2003, 10:38 AM
You are breaking out because of the oils in the plant that you are laergic. Several remedys.

1. Benadryl spray or tablets. Help you reduce the histamine reaction....itching.

2.Chlorinated water will help dry your skin out, but not direct bleach(burns). Try a pool.

3. Alcohol will remove the oils but may spread the rash. Similar to hot water.

4. Technu is basically mineral spirits in a expensive bottle. Works if used immediately after exposed.

5 Calamine lotion based remedys. Help dry out the rash if not open and oozing.

6. The cortico steroid pack from the doctor...almost immediately after started, but not a great thing to do all the time.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I seem to get the ivy itch a few times a year.

battags
07-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
Next time try a product called Technu which is available at Wal-Mart for removing the poison ivy oil before you start to have a reaction.

I agree. Technu worked wonders for me last year. They have a soap and an ointment that come in a combo pack. I have used bleach, though. It worked to dry up the ivy but dried out the rest of my skin so bad that it itched worse.

I had a friend swear that you can clear it up by taking a hot blow drier and holding it right over the skin for about 5 minutes! He said that after the first 30 seconds of sheer pain, relief kicks in. I made it for about 3.5 seconds before I about pissed my pants, it hurt so bad! I'm not recommending this method!

geogunn
07-03-2003, 12:07 PM
yes--bleach in the bath water will work. BUT IT MUST BE VERY DILUTE or AS ED SAYS you are gonna have real problems!:eek:

also--an epsom salt bath will work. sometimes in the shower I will turn the water off and then spread the epsom salt on the area and let it cure for a few minutes.

I haven't tried technu yet but a surveyor recommended it to me. the principle is the same as soap and water, wash off the oils before about 20 minutes have passed and you may avoid the reaction.

most doctors say that by the time the rash is developed, there is nothing you can do to reduce the rash. you can only treat the symptoms of the rash. and by trying the treatments, you think the treatments are working where in reality, it is only the treaments making the symptoms feel beter and the body is healing the rash by itself.

I don't agree with what the doctors say on this but that is what they say!

I get poison ivy so bad that I can catch it from being near a vine. the doctors say that it's impossible to do that but I have the doctors bills to prove them wrong!:blob2:

GEO

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
07-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Get to the doctors asap. The longer you wait, the more intense the treatmentand the more downtime for you. Most of the prescriptions require that you say out of the sun.

mower_babe
07-03-2003, 05:42 PM
I got it sooo baddd when I was 9mos preg, peein in the tall weeds (sorry tmi), that I had it literrally head to toe and the nurses made me hold my daughter with a sheet covering my arms, after she was born. They ended up putting me on meds through the IV for it-even got infected(yuk).

The moral of the story is...I know how good it feels to scratch it, but maybe you oughta give it up and just go to the doctor before you put your self in a bleach bath and burn your wahoo off. Hey, just a thought!

imograss
07-03-2003, 08:04 PM
ihave a not so safe remedy but it works for me. i will get under hot water and scratch untill it bleeds, then i get out the ole pvc pipecleaner and apply it to the affected areas, burns a little but its better than itching to death. about the time i decide to get a shot im about over it.

bob
07-03-2003, 08:08 PM
If your prone to getting posion ivy, use Ivy Block before you get near it. I've tried it and it works. I also would not recommend using bleach on your skin. Bleach is posionous. Go to the doctor and get the good stuff!

CMerLand
07-03-2003, 08:16 PM
First off, you can not get poison ivy without touching the plant unless you're burning it in a fire and sit in the smoke. The plant itself does not flick off the oils as you walk by it, you must come in contact with it physically for there to be a transfer of the oils.

Secondly, the suggestions of bleach, alcohol (also heard of gasoline) etc. all are astringinents and dry the skin out. You can cause some serious and permanent skin injury using these things if not careful. Chlorinated pools do work pretty effectively because the dilution rate is so high, but dont dump straight chlorine on your arms cause of the itch.

One of those old wives tales that actually worked for me was oatmeal bath. Id usually only have it on my hands or arms and would make up a pot of ol quaker oats real soupy like, (for you southerners, i dont think grits will work :D ) and keep the hands in there till the heat of the water cooled. The warm water gives u the instant relief and something in the oatmeal clears up the ivy. Dont ask me why it works it just does. If you have it on other parts of you body you can put the oats in an old sock and use it as a compress.

David Haggerty
07-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Daoctors have told me I had the worse case they'd ever seen.
Skin coming off in sheets etc.

I got cortizone shots to the point it worried the Doc about my getting too much.

I started using a product called iminunivy made by Ballard in California when I worked for the telephone company. They bought it for their linemen.

When I lost my job there I thought I was out of luck.
Then I found this stuff on line, and it's the same stuff.

http://www.oralivy.com/

I have tried all of the treatments.
Tecnu is second best. I have a bottle of it drying up in my medicine cabinet.

Firemen use this. Loggers use it. Linemen use it.
It seems lawncare is the only outdoor career where people have never heard of it. I couldn't work this job without it.

Dave

yardmonkey
07-03-2003, 11:11 PM
I've been meaning to try the Oral Ivy. I think you have to take it before the season. I bought somethinng similar last year made by a local pharmacist, but did not seem to work. Although I have read that you cannot get immune to poison ivy and that as the years go by (or as you get "infected" more and more) it gets you worse and worse, this does not seem to be the case with me. I used to get it very seriously when I was a kid and it seems to affect me less and less now. I usually have it all summer from time to time, but just mildly. I used to take great precautions when removing the vines, but now I sometimes don't even wear gloves - of course it gets me, but its no big deal. So maybe you can build up an immunity. Some people eat a leaf every spring. I tried that a couple of years ago - made my throat sore for a day and didn't seem to prevent me from getting it later. I used to carry Technu with me but stopped buying it. I'm sure it works, but you have to know you've touched it and then wash thoroughly - all wasted effort if there is a microscopic amount on your clothes or something. (Urushiol, the active component is measured in micrograms!) I do carry rubbing alcohol, which may be just as effective for washing off the oil, if done soon enough.

Really though - if it gets you and you're itching - put some hot water on it - this is not a "wive's tale" - it is very scientific - the histamines are depleted for several hours and the itch will be gone until they build back up. Works better than any medicine.

And of course - If you work outside, learn to recognize it!

Mike Bradbury
07-03-2003, 11:55 PM
some of you don't know what the h*ll you're talking about.
Bleach will NOT hurt you in the slightest as long as you don't leave it on too long.
Alcohal FEELS good but does nothing to dry it up.
Dab STRAIGHT bleach one area at a time, I use cotton balls. Count to TEN, rinse it off. IT WORKS. It doesn't dry the surrounding skin. It isn't dangerous.

Mike Bradbury
07-03-2003, 11:57 PM
not talking about the hot water not working. That DOES work. Learned that by trial and trial. There's an exquisite pain type sensation of the hotter than you'd like water and the itch of the ivy. You can feel the itching diminishing.
BUT it doesn't do anything to get rid of the rash!
Bleach rules.

geogunn
07-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by CMerLand
First off, you can not get poison ivy without touching the plant unless you're burning it in a fire and sit in the smoke. The plant itself does not flick off the oils as you walk by it, ....

CM--you say no WAY.

I say WAY!

even though you say nay, I say poison Ivy apparently flicks oil like a snot nosed kid flicks boogers.:eek:

I never been hit by a kids booger but I know I have gotten poison ivy without touching it!

case in point...my right foot, right knee and stomach. all covered. none in contact with any PI. but got it. I say it must be PI boogers!:eek:

GEO

Rustic Goat
07-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Can not believe some of you guys.

Depending on a persons individual skin reaction to some mentioned chemicals, it could be the worst thing in the world to do.
Depending on the severity of reaction, can burn the skin right off.

Go to the doctor, get real treatment, it'll feel better sooner and go away quicker,

hunter
07-04-2003, 01:37 AM
reading this topic just makes me glad that I'm not allergic to ivy. I've slept in balnkets of it camping and never caught it. Hope I never become allergic to it.

Mike Bradbury
07-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat

Go to the doctor, get real treatment, it'll feel better sooner and go away quicker,

Not at all true. Bleach is instantaneous. Even the shot takes over night. Pills take a few days.
Do a little search on bleach and see what it really is if you're so worried about it. Since chlorine is in most of our drinking water, (2 gallons a day in my belly) I tend to think some of you MIGHT be over estimating the risks :)

Rustic Goat
07-04-2003, 02:28 AM
Like I said before, each persons skin and reactions can vary a great deal. When I have to get a shot for something like this, it starts working in less than 20 minutes.
Chlorine in water vs chlorine in bleach are so different, the only thing they have in common is the name.

I've seen people get burns to the point of pretty bad blisters with 'chlorine bleach', just don't think it's a very good idea.

geogunn
07-04-2003, 04:42 AM
it's probably not worth saying again but I'll say it again anyway.

you use bleach very diluted.

if it smells too strong, it probably is.

GEO

David Haggerty
07-04-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Mike Bradbury
I tend to think some of you MIGHT be over estimating the risks :)

My Mother, like myself is hyper-alergic to poison ivy.

When she was a kid her Mother treated her with bleach for poison ivy. She developed a hyper--alergic reaction to the bleach that she has to this day!

Some of us ARE more alergic to poison ivy than you seem to be.
If home remedies work for you, that's fine for YOU.

If you want to quit being a jerk and giving advice on something you're clueless about, go to this site and at least read about poison ivy.

http://www.oralivy.com/

Dave

CMerLand
07-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Paging Dr Bradbury, Paging Dr. Bradbury,

Hey genius, if bleach was a safe and effective treatment for the cure of poison ivy, dont you think that MAYBE the bleach companies out there would then create a whole new market for their product by selling it as the cure to end all cures for poison ivy? Considering Poison ivy grows throughout North America alone. that would be a hell of a market to take over.

Kinda like I think it was propecia that was original marketed to treat some heart or liver problem, but they found out that paitents using it found it helped reduce hair loss? Now the primarily market it as a cure for baldness. Hell, excedrin markets extra strength and migraine formulas two different ways but both tablets contain exact the same amounts of active ingredients.

Before you post on this forum that others dont know what the hell we are talking about, let me ask you this question. "would you be willing to pay the medical bills of someone who took your advice and then did have a bad reaction to your cure that you are so sure of? " You know a money where your mouth is kinda offer?

Have a good 4th

CMerrick

yardmonkey
07-04-2003, 11:42 AM
I haven't tried this, but I think it you stuck your hand in a jar of Clorox and kept it there for a day or two, you would soon be looking at nothing but bones. Bleach is deadly dangerous stuff. Kills all life. There may be something to diluted bleach for poison ivy, but full strength bleach is serious stuff.

mower_babe
07-04-2003, 03:47 PM
CMerLand-

Couldn't have said it better myself.

NCSULandscaper
07-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
CM--you say no WAY.

I say WAY!

even though you say nay, I say poison Ivy apparently flicks oil like a snot nosed kid flicks boogers.:eek:

I never been hit by a kids booger but I know I have gotten poison ivy without touching it!

case in point...my right foot, right knee and stomach. all covered. none in contact with any PI. but got it. I say it must be PI boogers!:eek:

GEO

Are you sure the poison ivy isnt in your clothes?

Poison ivy will still be contageous over a year if clothes are not cleaned very well.

Just a thought, but i am about the same way you are i can just about look at it and i seem to get it somewhere.

dwc
07-04-2003, 04:48 PM
I get poison ivy about once a year and I had it just the other day on my forehead. I heard about some stuff called Zanfel and got some of it and took a shower with it and used it just like it said and in 24 hours it was almost not even noticeable! It relieves the itch and burn immediately and the whole thing was gone in a couple days. It removes all the uruishol poison oils from your skin and does not let it spread. I got mine at Eckard and it was $40 but the best $40 I have ever spent to clear up poison ivy. If you go to zanfel.com they have a pharmacy locator on there.
Good Luck!
dwc

Mike Bradbury
07-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by CMerLand
Paging Dr Bradbury, Paging Dr. Bradbury,

Hey genius, if bleach was a safe and effective treatment for the cure of poison ivy, dont you think that MAYBE the bleach companies out there would then create a whole new market for their product by selling it as the cure to end all cures for poison ivy? Considering Poison ivy grows throughout North America alone. that would be a hell of a market to take over.

Kinda like I think it was propecia that was original marketed to treat some heart or liver problem, but they found out that paitents using it found it helped reduce hair loss? Now the primarily market it as a cure for baldness. Hell, excedrin markets extra strength and migraine formulas two different ways but both tablets contain exact the same amounts of active ingredients.

Before you post on this forum that others dont know what the hell we are talking about, let me ask you this question. "would you be willing to pay the medical bills of someone who took your advice and then did have a bad reaction to your cure that you are so sure of? " You know a money where your mouth is kinda offer?

Have a good 4th

CMerrick

Nope, the whole reason it IS hush/hush is too keep mental midgets like you from hurting themselves. Actually takes a modicum of brain power.............

Mike Bradbury
07-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by yardmonkey
I haven't tried this, but I think it you stuck your hand in a jar of Clorox and kept it there for a day or two, you would soon be looking at nothing but bones. Bleach is deadly dangerous stuff. Kills all life. There may be something to diluted bleach for poison ivy, but full strength bleach is serious stuff.

Those of you incapable of counting to 10, OR of the concept of "rinsing it off" SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM THIS TREATMENT!!!!!!
Cmerland, Yard Monkey, others?

ksland
07-04-2003, 11:12 PM
I usually rub the itchy areas with rubbing alcohol and the apply calamine lotion. Mostly at night and throughout the night when it bothered me most. The cooling of the alcohol each time stopped the itching and the lotion kept it away for an hour or so. Also clears up quickly this way. I have tried almost everything else people have mentioned. Found this the cheapest and most effective remedy

Rustic Goat
07-04-2003, 11:25 PM
To all those posting on this thread, can we please just drop it, seems it's getting very close to being out of hand.
Thanks
I know, just my opinion

Fvstringpicker
07-05-2003, 12:35 AM
....First off, you can not get poison ivy without touching the plant unless you're burning it in a fire and sit in the smoke. The plant itself does not flick off the oils as you walk by it, ....

Don't mean to keep beating a dead horse but anything that gets the oil airborne will cause you problems, not only burning but also mowing and trimming. The oil is so potent that 1/4 oz of the stuff can cause a rash in every person on earth.
BTW, two home remedies I've used to help dry the rash up and help the itching is octagon soap and pine sol (a tbsp in a hot bath, and dabing a strong mix on the rash)

Envy Lawn Service
07-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Clorine will kill any living thing on the planet. I don't think there is anything it won't kill, provided a strong enough dose is used. From this thought I decided drinking city water wasn't a good idea. So I go to the mountains where I am from and collect my drinking/cooking water from a clean mountain spring.

However, clorine bleach can be an acceptable treatment for helping dry up poison oak/ivy. But some common sense needs to be taken into consideration when using it for this purpose.

Also, there is a plant/weed that grows in wet areas that can be used. I wish I knew what it was called so I could share it. A very old man told me this trick when I was maybe 8 years old. I had one or the other all the time. Anyways, this plant has a thick gel like sap similar to aloe. Just break 2 pieces off, rub the ends together to get more gel and rub it on. One application heals it.

As for getting this poison oak & ivy, do any of you believe the stuff can reside in the human body somehow? Bloodstream maybe? I'll skip the story behind why I ask that because of post lenght.

Anyways, the first day I get hot after a cool spell, I break out with the stuff in exactly the same few places. No touching involed. In the Marines I learned enough self control to avoid even touching it. So I do nothing but leave it alone and it clears right up. The only thing I make a point to do is rinse the areas often with cool water.

MuskTurfKing
07-05-2003, 03:56 AM
lol, bleach on your skin? Ouchy.

On our wrestling team, a few morons will try that when they get ringworm. It kills the ring worm, but leaves a VERY nasty burn on the skin. Looks horrible, like a hole was eaten into the skin. They apparently dip a Q-tip in a bottle of Clorox, and stick it on the skin. Personally, I got some really great prescription stuff that clears ringworm right up, I'm sure you could get the same type of stuff for poison ivy.

Luckily, I've never had poison ivy.

Hank

Harry0
07-05-2003, 05:24 AM
DwC is right. Zanfel-poison Ivy cream is THE only thing that we found that stops the itch and speeds up the healing process-I bought 4 tubes this year and gave them to my guys-I have gotten PI so much I think I am immune(if thats possible). Put out the cash you wont regret it-Harry

Cooper Landscaping
07-05-2003, 05:41 AM
Envy- what do you do during the winter?? :D

As for poison ivy- i use some for of laundry soap (in bar form) and wash each day after i might have been exposed to the ivy. I still wind up with it each summer and have gotten to a point where its like mosquito bites- just live with it. just my .02

-Coop

CMerLand
07-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Nope, the whole reason it IS hush/hush is too keep mental midgets like you from hurting themselves. Actually takes a modicum of brain power.............

Genius!!!!!

Thats the kind of reply I thought Id get from you Genius!!!! Dont have anything to back up your claim that putting bleach on your skin is safe. Cant refute the arguement that if bleach was a cure it would be marketed as such. Nope you just have to go for the calling names. Whats next you gonna beat me up?? :p :p I laugh at you!!!!! Grow up and realize that if you're going to post on here, you may have to be able to defend your position. Especially, when you make a statement that we dont know what the hell we are talking about.

BTW: Modicum huh??? Wow that word a day calendar is really paying off for you huh?? Way to go Genius!!!!!

CMerLand
07-05-2003, 09:09 AM
No way in H*LL would I take a systemic poison ivy preventer until they had medical research to show this stuff was safe. JMO

Hey Genius!!!!

Looked back over some of your previous posts and found this little gem of yours from the last time someone posted about poison ivy. This was your reply to someone who suggested oral ivy but before you again recommended you bleach idea.

Hmmmm, so a pill that has already gone through tons and years of medical research and testing to get FDA approval to go on the market your skeptical of and won't consider taking, but were all supposed to take your word for it that bleach is THE safe and sure solution for our poison ivy itches.

And you also state where you learned of this cure all. A buddy of yours told you!!!!!!! Well hell, why didnt you tell us you had an experts opinion on the effects of bleach on human skin. Damn, Im sorry for ever questioning your opinion.

Nice Genius!!!!

MOW ED
07-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Any of you Bleach Bums also Pesticide applicators?

Do you read the labels on the Pesticides and apply outside the label requirements?

Read the MSDS on bleach.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~jsmith/MSDS/CLOROX%20LIQUID%20BLEACH.htm

Lots of misinformation about the chemical being suggested here. You are all adults, its up to you to decide what you want to put in or on your body.

lawndreamer
07-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Wow........This has stirred up quite a discussion. Thankfully a friend give me the advice not to put bleach on my skin. I took benadryl for itching, aveeno for the ozzing and hydrocortizone cream. It took about a week to dry up the ivy reaction on me. I don't credit it to the o-t-c meds because iv'e seen it dry up quicker without them. Monday the 7th I decided to go to ER because my leg had swollen to the point I thought it was necessary. Without using bleach or any other home remedy I seemed to infect the reaction. After 3 days pumping antibiotics into my system the doctor finaly let me leave the Hospital.

I've learned a few things,
#1 being I better learn to identify it better in the future. I thought I was sure there was none in the hedges I trimmed.

#2 o-t-c meds stink

#3 My hospital bill is expensive.

Cooper Landscaping
07-11-2003, 09:58 AM
All I can say is daayyymmm- :eek: 3 days in the hospital? that would definitely mean #3 is right :D lol. Well good luck on identifying it next time!

-Coop

hboyd_com
07-11-2003, 10:56 AM
I've used straight bleach in the past with fairly good results - but this year I took a COLD shower and used DAWN dish washing liquid.

The theory is that the cold water keeps your pores from opening and the Dawn detergent is good on oils. I had a small outbreak this year following this method, and it only lasted a couple of days. Other years I was covered head to toe, eyes, everywhere!

Grassmechanic
07-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Clorine will kill any living thing on the planet. I don't think there is anything it won't kill, provided a strong enough dose is used. From this thought I decided drinking city water wasn't a good idea. So I go to the mountains where I am from and collect my drinking/cooking water from a clean mountain spring.

how do you know if a mountain goat wasn't peeing upstream from you?:D

Mike

jaredslawncare
07-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Some of you guys may yell at me for saying this but if the poision ivy isnt scracthed open you can put gas on it and it will dry it right up, at least it works for me, bleach also works well, oak and ivy never has done anything for me, but if you know youve been exposed to it the technu works well if you can get it on quick enough.

David Haggerty
07-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
CM

case in point...my right foot, right knee and stomach. all covered. none in contact with any PI. but got it. GEO

You've got systemic poisoning. (it's in your system)

I used to get it all the time too. Just from walking by it.
Flies and mosquitoes landing on it transmit it to you.

I'd break out under my wedding band, around the belt or any where else I was sweating.

For people like us who really catch it the oralivy is a godsend.
And it's cheap! $15/yr.
I must have a hundred dollar worth of unused ivy treatments around the house. And they include Zanfel and Tecnu.

The oralivy reduces your sensitivity to normal. A couple of bumps, a little itching. It's great! Used to be every case was lost work and a trip to the doctor.

But oralivy is not FDA approved. It's a homeopathic treatment.
I've threatened to tackle my own mother to keep her out of the &*%$ GNC Center. (It's unregulated because it's homeopathic treatments too.)
I hate homeopathic treatments and the GNC Centers. Self medication is the #1 cause of health problems for old people.
But the oralivy is one homeopathic treatment that works!

It sounds like you catch ivy pretty bad.
Why don't you try the oralivy and post your experience on Lawnsite? Maybe you can educate some of the ignorant who still rely on home remedies.
If you decide it's worthless, I'll send you 15 bucks.
Lets settle this poison ivy debate once and for all.

Dave

At least go to the site and read about it. They have the facts on ivy poisoning. http://www.oralivy.com/

Envy Lawn Service
07-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
how do you know if a mountain goat wasn't peeing upstream from you?:D

Mike

Hey now! I didn't say I collect my water from a stream. :D

I get it from a true mountain spring, the kind that comes straight from a vein deep under a mountain, and I get it directly from the source, right where it first surfaces.

Last time I checked mountain goats live on mountains, not under them ;)

Ricky
07-28-2003, 08:31 PM
I used to be like geogun and David Haggerty when I was pre-teen and teen. I'm 51 and hardly get it now even when I know I hit it with the trimmer. I used to use a product called Immune-Ivy. It was an oral product. You took it a lot like Oral Ivy. Then it disappeared from my area. Then something else was available that came in little vials. Don't know the name but didn't work as good. Neither would prevent me from getting the rash but would greatly reduce the affects. Also used to get shots in the rump once a week for 4 wks. That was always good for 4 patches of poison ivy on my butt. The drs. would get me some tranquilizers to lessen the itch. The hot water thing would work for me but I never knew why until I discovered this site. (actually Eric pointed me here) Bleach, alcohol. or Calamine never helped me any, but like Urushol affects others differently so can the other "remedies". I know when you get it bad you will try anything.
If I needed something bad now, I would put my money on the Oral Ivy product. I wouldn't doubt it is close to the same thing that I took as a kid. :)

David Haggerty
07-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Ricky
I used to use a product called Immune-Ivy.

I used to take that too. It was made by the Bullard company in California. The telephone company I worked for supplied it for their linemen.

I think it is the same as Oral-Ivy. I believe they are an alcoholic extract of the poison ivy plant.

Bullard quit making Immune-ivy in the 80's.

Oral-Ivy works as well for me.

I havn't even heard of an Ivy product or remedy I havn't tried. Oral-ivy is by far the best. It's both a preventative and a cure.

Dave

soco286
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Absolutely correct, I don't see why people are so scared of bleach I've used it for years on poison ivy and it worked wonders, I even scrub it a bit then bleach it. Sure it burns for a bit, but a few minutes of pain is ALOT better then a week or so of itching

Nosmo
06-03-2008, 05:48 AM
"Quote from one of Envy's posts."
Also, there is a plant/weed that grows in wet areas that can be used. I wish I knew what it was called so I could share it. A very old man told me this trick when I was maybe 8 years old. I had one or the other all the time. Anyways, this plant has a thick gel like sap similar to aloe. Just break 2 pieces off, rub the ends together to get more gel and rub it on. One application heals it. -- Envy
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____
This plant is called Jewel Weed and it usually grows near Poison Ivy patches. It also has a nick-name Touch Me Not because touching it causes a release of the seeds. The native Americans used this to dry up the blisters and swelling of Poison Ivy.

If you know what Trumpet Vine (Orange Color) looks like it resembles the shape and color of Jewel Weed.

Nosmo

rob7233
06-03-2008, 08:24 AM
some of you don't know what the h*ll you're talking about.
Bleach will NOT hurt you in the slightest as long as you don't leave it on too long.
Alcohal FEELS good but does nothing to dry it up.
Dab STRAIGHT bleach one area at a time, I use cotton balls. Count to TEN, rinse it off. IT WORKS. It doesn't dry the surrounding skin. It isn't dangerous.

Can you spell > CHEMICAL BURN !!! Use the bleach and your'e just doing further damage. Consider the absorption rate of the skin. It's the body's third quickest route for a substance to enter. With PI, it's now inflammed with LOTS of blood at the contact site. Whew!

lars46
06-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I recommend Zanfel. It's called a "Poison Ivy wash". Just follow the directons. It worked for me last summer when nothing else would. It's available otc at pharmacies. Only bad thing is it cost about $30-$35 for a package. I was so uncomfortable that it was well worth the money.

nmurph
06-03-2008, 03:47 PM
ok, first this a 5 yr dead thread......soco is excused bc he is a newbie.... this thread was his first post....so welcome.
second....if you contact PI you should wash the area with alcohol. wash only the immediate area or you will scatter the oil...usually by the time you feel the itch, the oils have penetrated the skin and washing does not do any good. if you do use a cloth to scrub the immediate area, throw that cloth in the trash!!!!!!!!!............you must contact (physically) the PI plant to be exposed OR breathe in the smoke where PI is being burned.....if you have the rash there are several OTC treatments than may help....its' effectivness depends largely on you and your reaction.......it will pass if you leave it alone and don't get it infected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DillonsLawnCare
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
ive used deodorant, and it works well drying it up. make sure you dont use your own, cause you'll spread it. buy an xtra one. safe, simple, smell-good!!

Faystarr
08-23-2008, 06:17 PM
As for alcohol treatment naysayers and those claiming you have to touch Poison Ivy to get it ..need to read this :

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/796_ivy.html

That's the Food and Drug Administration posting. It says even a bug eating a hole into the leaf can release the sap into the air. It also states that the sap on tools , gardening clothes from the year before can remain active and spread from year to year up to a decade later.

Wiping anything that poison ivy sap has been in contact with with alcohol first, then water, and lastly soap and water is the best immediate defense.

Just saying.

btw...clorox will not kill everything. I cleaned out a fish tank once with these small worms on everything. I literally put a shell inside a container with pure clorox in it. Those nasty worms were still swimming around and moving around inside that clorox hours later. I finally just dumped the whole thing down the toilet....wrapped everything that was in that tank in plastic bags and put them in the trash.

I developed a fungus from a spa hot tub filled with clorine...so obviously fungus still was living even with the chlorine in the tub.

Just my two cents. I don't know about the rest of you..maybe you always wear rubber gloves when cleaning with clorox. I should but rarely ever and at least once a week get full strength clorox on my skin....rinse it off and keep on going.

If you eat in restaurants ...all restaurants use powdered bleach in the dishwasters and sinks to soak the dishes....Yep! so obviously it rinses away without doing too much damage to our systems....OMG.!! but yes the film of clorox may be inside on the sides of the glass you drink your water from.

Even Cut Lawn Care
08-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I use straight bleach directly on the affected area. I always have always will. It does not burn me.

David Haggerty
08-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Since this thread has been dredged from the archives anyway, here's my personal update.

I'm no longer alergic to poison ivy! I was pulling weeds out of a shrub bed with my bare hands. I came up on a poison ivy plant. I pulled it out with my bare hands!
I washed my hands right after, but still, for me to touch poison ivy on purpose is remarkable!

I havn't taken oralivy for years. I may never have to take it again! My son too. He no longer catches poison ivy.

Oralivy is the cure for poison ivy.

Strick
08-24-2008, 10:30 AM
LONG THREAD for three little leaves! But here's my .02 anyway. I have learned to look for it real good (exposed probably 3 times last year). Best to prevent it! I wear long pants always and I keep an old long sleeve button up shirt in the truck to put over the shirt I am wearing. Also gloves and safety glasses. If you gotta be around it, suit up. It is hotter, but better than the alternative. As far as remedies, I think the quickest is the SHOT - I think it is cortizone. Good luck and scratching!

Frontier-Lawn
08-24-2008, 11:11 AM
one word VODKA.

nosparkplugs
08-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I've had 4 exposures to Urushiol oil this season, many home remedies just do not work, bleach is a NO NO. Urushiol oil is a high viscosity oil, and a water based liquid only spreads the oil to a larger area. I use Dermablast, and if I think that i'm even might of been exposed I wash myself down with it.

Rubbing alcohol is effective, water is less effective; however in all reality thats what I use the most is just plain tap water immediately after exposure. Do not wait to rinse the oil off suspected exposure area; once the Urushiol oil has bonded to your skin about 4 hours your SOL:cry: Then you can only treat the symptoms.

Rustic Goat
08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Oh good grief, hasn't this all been hashed out before, the dust on this old thread is aggravating my allergies.
The point should be - everyone is different, not all cures work for everyone, but may be just the ticket for some.

Everyone does not always remain the same. Used to be able roll around in poison ivy/oak/sumac/etc. without any problem.
Then a period of don't even be near it.
Now only slightly reactive of direct skin contact. We change.

Whatever cure works for you, use it.
If there ever comes a time when you cannot get 'clean' drinking water, a couple drops of bleach in a bucket of untreated water may be what keeps you from bowel problems or worse.

ZTRMaster
08-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I didn't bother reading (or couldn't stand to) all the pages in this thread but I discovered a great, SAFE remedy for poison ivy outbreaks, that is, after it's started to ooze and all that good stuff. I don't know if anyone has said this but:

Wasabi Powder or Paste

It burns like the devil but once the burning stops, so does the itching, and within 12hrs the rash was completely gone. It worked on me but...it may not work on everyone.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-24-2008, 02:31 PM
old hillbilly trick all you need to do is piss on it , just dont tell the wife.............................................................

Even Cut Lawn Care
08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
old hillbilly trick all you need to do is piss on it , just dont tell the wife.............................................................

Actually the old hillbilly trick is to have the wife piss on it!:laugh::laugh:

nosparkplugs
08-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Shower water as hot as you can tolerate:cry:, AHHHH almost better than sex.

Whats up I use to be able to waller in the stuff, now I look at it I'm itching:laugh: must be Global warming:dizzy:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
hot water not good , it opens the ivey up, hot then ice cold

Even Cut Lawn Care
08-24-2008, 03:25 PM
just use bleach!