PDA

View Full Version : Does ANYONE use Snapper??? (or why not?)

Bubba5
09-28-2000, 07:00 AM
I've only been a member here since summer but (thats a lot of threads read) i have noticed that i NEVER hear mention of snapper mowers. I have been using them for about 4 years and i have never had a problem (never), i have a snapper pro Zcruiser, a 48" walk behind, and a 36" walk behind all with kawaisaki engines, is it location? is it poor warranty? are they over-priced? poor quality? or am i awaiting a rude awakening? why doesn't anyone use them? my dealer who is just over a mile from my house also sells me stihl trimmers and he always helps me with anything, just curious, sorry for the long post..

Indiana
09-28-2000, 09:42 AM
I am also in an area that Snapper dealers are all over. So I tried one. Trying to get away cheap for a second mower.

This snapper was a piece of junk. Threw both power belts off as soon as you disengaged the deck. Brought it back to the dealer like seven times, he fixed it each time. It had a bent pulley on it but he never fixed that, just put a couple new belts on it and gave it back.

Finally, I told him I didn't want it and traded it (at full price) for a Kees 48 walk behind. End of problem.

I don't know if I just had a bad one, but mine was a piece of junk.

curlawngreen
09-28-2000, 09:58 AM
I have one and it took about 10 hours to get everything to work right. Same problem with deck belt, Snapper put smooth idler on, replaced with tall idler with flange and no more problems.

Ocutter
09-28-2000, 08:40 PM
Ive had my belt 48" for 5-6 yrs now. Bought it used and have had all good luck with it. Dont kow if the previous owner had any. The only thing I fixed on it was the tranny. But I knew about that 2 yrs ago. Changed it this season. Workhorse!

Jerrys Lawn Service
09-28-2000, 09:54 PM
Bubba5, all of my walkbehinds are all Snapper (all hydro's)
we have a 36 a 48 a 52. The only problem so far is the spring to the hydro pumps broke, Snapper changed to a up
grade on the spring and no more problems! We run double blades thanks to Eric and get a great cut! We are very
happy with our Snappers!

Good Luck!
jerryslawnservice@home.com

landsc8peman
09-29-2000, 02:21 AM
hey guys hope everyone is staying busy if not you need to well i have 48 snapper walkbehind hydro i think its great only had to adjust on handles where i let them bang into my gate on trailer but i love my snapper i have electirc start and vroooom off to the races i go i am pleases with my snapper eqiupment Tim

Dink38
09-29-2000, 09:08 AM
We have a Snapper 52 Hydro. It is a good mower. Nice cut. It does wonders on a steep bank. We also have a Great Dane 48 Hydro. It will not hold a candle to the snapper on a bank.

Youngster
09-29-2000, 03:21 PM
I have a 36" WB and haven't had any problems so far. I got it used and the guy before me said he hasnt had any problems either. But i guess it could fall apart tomorrow. But, so far, it has worked very well for me.

Youngster

BUSHMASTER
09-29-2000, 08:28 PM
the only snapper i own i the 21"2cycle wis.robins.had it since i went into bizz since i brought a toro 21"(A LOT FASTER) it just sits in the shed,my walker get the majority or hours on it
i don,t know why i still have it , it still runs great haven't done anything with it execpt crank it every so often
on over 3 years , if i ever get a public type office i might set it up on a pedistile, after all it was my first mower purchase when i went full time....but i never had a days problem with it ..

SJR Lawncare
09-29-2000, 09:29 PM
The company that I used to work for ran snappers. I used a 48 beltdrive for 5 years with a velke. There were a few problems here & there, normal belt wear, brake handles wearing out, etc. but overall, NICE MACHINES, I do miss my snapper.
SJR

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
09-29-2000, 11:29 PM
i had one 3 seasons ago. It ran strong made nice lines, but the loophandles were a workout with a belt drive.

65hoss
09-30-2000, 06:46 PM
I haven't had one in years. Wasn't worth a the price of tires back then. The homeowner versions are junk these days. I know several people with them and don't last too many seasons on a homeowners yard. Be about the same as a week and a half for us.

I know that the engine shops can't stand them and don't carry any commercial units.

Twotoros
10-01-2000, 01:34 AM
Hated my 36" snapper belt drive. The thing wouldn't turn to the left up an incline , the belt was always out of adjustment . I tried to adjust it eveytime or take it in to the shop . Taht got old .Loved the engine not as cold blooed as the kohler. The hydo is probably better .

jimsny
02-11-2001, 11:41 PM
Bubba5

I bought a 48" Snapper hydro 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it. I boutht it because I had great luck with their residential equip and the exmarks I ran were too short when i was on the velki. The loop steering was a good idea and that is it.

I broke belts, engine parts, and it seemed to wear out quickely. Snapper has agreed to buy it back and I am going back to the Exmark with the new ECS steering.

I also had many problems getting parts. Both hydro pumps went out and it took 35 days to get them in. Talk about down time! Part were unreasonably high. My gas cap was $23!!! Other were $9. I had the gas tank replaced under warranty, it cost $125!!!

Esby
02-12-2001, 12:24 AM
I've only owned one snapper and that was a 21 inch self propelled that I bought new 5 years ago for trimming and small areas. I only had it for about 4 months, but in that time it dealt out its lifetime's worth of problems. I never knew that such a small simple machine could cause that much hassle. The self-propelled went out, the carborator went out, it ran rough, it quit on me, the drive belt to the blade snapped. Well lets just say I got rid of that piece of junk and went for an Airens. Airens are the best I've found, never been happier with a 21" mower!!

Mark
02-12-2001, 12:49 AM
I have a Snapper 52" 16hp Vanguard and im on my 8yr with it. I have never yet had any major problems. I have yet to change a spindle bearing. And the Vanguard has never been worked on. I love the loop steering, Infact its my favorite walkbehind. I also run scag but im sold on my snapper hydro, built very well almost same bulid as my scag. I know alot of cutters who run Snappers around here in southern In. Sounds to me like you just got a lemon, which could happer to anyone with any kind of equipment. In eight yrs i have changed 2 belts, sorry to hear about your bad experince with snapper equip. Marks Mowing Service

Fantasy Lawns
02-12-2001, 12:59 AM
36" Hydro 600 hrs no issues (not in the shop once) hot fla cutting ......change the oil & filters ....keep her clean ....also have 21" which I just don't use anymore (no more push accounts) ...but for 2 years she was killer ...had a 36" belt drive about 4 years ago and was happy to lose her as the belt & brakes needed almost daily attention

HOMER
02-12-2001, 08:10 AM
I have a 21" in the shop right now---------just came back from the other shop and still won't run. This has to be the worst investment in my mowing career! I have had nothing but problems with the carb on it, it never runs when I need to use it---------which ain't often. Mine has the "SUPER SIX" on it, it isn't even the equivalent of an old 3.5 hp. Has not torgue at all. I will say all my troubles have been engine. The drive train has been good except for one broken belt and an occasional lock up which somehow corrects itself???????????????? I will be in the market for a new 21" real soon and hope I have better luck with the next one.

awm
02-12-2001, 09:33 AM
Snappers probably pretty good.I think
they tried to ride there old rear engine
idea too long and may have hit the market a little
late with pro mowers.I thought they stuttered
a little in the transition.
By the way that old rear engine carried me
many many hrs.

Mark
02-12-2001, 04:32 PM
Dane Scagg designed most of there commercial equipment from the early 90s. And his equipment imput speaks for itself. The Scags are good mowers as are the Great Danes. So are the Snappers i know to many cutters who use them and keep on buying them. I know ive put mine through alot in the 8yr i had it and its proved itself to me also. Marks Mowing Service