PDA

View Full Version : Mowing order

turkp15
07-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Hey everyone
I just wanted to know the order you guys start a lawn. Like do you Edge, weed eat, then mow? which way have you found to be faster?

pottstim
07-05-2003, 06:13 PM
I have just recently started in business, and I don't have an edger yet. However, it is something that I plan to purchase in the future. My work order for a lawn is as follows: mow, weedeat, and blow. After that, I will do anything else that needs to be done such as, weeding beds, pruning trees and shrubs. Best of luck to you.

WildSide
07-05-2003, 07:23 PM
depnds on crew, but basically, mow, trim, edge, blow.

ElephantNest
07-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Once you get to know each yard, you'll be able to trim and edge first, then blow. Leaves a cleaner yard, and is generally quicker when you learn to trim in a manner that allows the mower to make less turns, never back up, and chop or mulch the clippings from trimming and edging. New yards I always mow first for a while until I get a feel for what needs to be trimmed and what can be left for the mower. Five minutes of saved time on each yard is at least a couple of extra yards that you can do that day.

Live4Mowin'
07-07-2003, 12:13 AM
trim, edge, mow, then blow.

jason r.
07-07-2003, 12:23 AM
spring and summer
edge, mow(mulch), trim, then blow

fall and winter
edge, trim, blow, mow(bag or mulch), blow again if necessary

B&B LAWN
07-12-2003, 05:36 AM
edge trim mow then blow

mikeymike
07-12-2003, 05:07 PM
My order varies. If I am doing a yard where the grass is really overgrown over the area where I need to edge, then I will edge first and then blow the debris from the edging back onto the yard so that I can just mow over it. If the yard is not bad or my regular customers where the edging has already been well established then I will mow,edge,weed and blow.

LawnLad
07-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Attached is a form that we use that helps to explain the process for how we approach a lawn. This is one of many that we will give to a new employee or current as they take on new job descriptions. As their skill level increases we give them new descriptions. We are developing new ones as we go through the season as we realize that there is something that needs to be covered and we revise the old ones. This then gives the foreman a platform from which to train new employees.

This form is for the most basic overview of how weekly service visits should run/operate.

pcnservices
07-13-2003, 05:32 PM
As you have limitations to the manuverability of your mower - how big or small - I like to stringtrim around trees, posts, birdbaths, flowerbeds, in corners, etc. prior to mowing, therefore I can pickup all those clippings too with the mower.
The other reason for trimming first is:- if I let the mower operator mow first he/she is usually leaving bigger areas to stringtrim and that is frustating, time consuming and hard on both the stringtrimmer and the grass or he/she is going to try and trim with the mower leaving tire tracks around all those obstacles.

My advise is - and it works for me - let your stringtrim operator know the limitations to the manuverability of the mower he is working with and have him stringtrim only where the mower cannot reach and then let the mower do the rest of the work for you.
Your trimming job is going to determine how good your overall mowing job is going to look like.

Once you're done then blow and clean off the drives and walks.

turkp15
07-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Lawn Lad

Do you have anymore forms like that for other things ?

thanks<
Jeff

LawnLad
07-15-2003, 07:33 PM
I have lots of forms, many of which I don't use any more since they didn't seem to do the trick. We design something (e.g. form) that helps to meet an objective or goal we set. If it works we use it, if it doesn't we discard it. We may also change our goals or approach to something which may then render "forms" useless.

For example I used to have a cazillion job descriptions (okay, only about 8 or 9) on the maintenance side. I've since simplified to about five. My theory changed on why I thought I needed more descriptions. Now I'm in the "let's simplify" mode.

The best way to create forms that are helpful in your business is to set goals and then specific objectives to meet those goals. Brainstorm on solutions. The better the brainstorm (which comes through exposure to new ideas) the better the end result.

turkp15
07-18-2003, 10:04 AM
lawn lad could you please send me some of these forms so I could get an idea of where to go? Turkp15@hotmail.com or post an attachment on here

Thanks,
~Jeff

drobson
07-18-2003, 04:48 PM
I usually have 2 guys at each job. So we edge/trim at the same time and then mow/blow at the same time. Unless its a large property, then it sometimes changes.

A1 Grass
07-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Tried the edge/mow/blow order today. Definitely a cleaner cut. That's the way I'll do it from now on...

GLAN
07-26-2003, 08:32 PM
If your working alone.

Edge first, then cut, line trimm the bed edges and where you missed with the mower or could not get (doing after the cut you only do what is needed)

Edging first then cutting, you are then able to pickup some of that debris as your cutting. Leaving yourself an easier job blowing off at the end.