PDA

View Full Version : How to get into Fert.

mike48114
07-07-2003, 08:12 AM
We are located in southeast Michigan. We currently cut grass and landscape. I am thinking about the benifits of also offering fert as a service rather than subbing it out like we do now. I was wondering if some of you pro's could point me in the right direction. How do you get started? Whare do you get the books to read up? Whare do you get the tests to take? What do you look for in Labor? Any ideas or tips would help alot...Thanks!

EJK2352
07-07-2003, 06:37 PM
Contact you counties Extension office, they will give you the info you need. You could also contact your states Dept. of Agriculture. Back in 1989 when I got licensed the Ohio Dept. of Ag. sent me study materials and gave me a few testing locations to choose from. Glad to see your asking for help. Get licensed, insured so you are legal. If you have a Lesco store close stop in and talk to them too. Lesco can help you set up a program and they have the products and equipment you need to get started.

Runner
07-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Like he said, contact your cooperative extension agency, they can sell you two books. These are your Pesticide and Core testing manuals. You then test and get your certification(s). (3 required to really cover the business,... turf, ornamental, and right of way). After passing these, you will then be a certified applicator. Now, comes the tricky part. T be licensed as an Applicator foe business, you have to either hold a Bachelor degree in Horticulture, Turf Management, Agronomy, or a related field, and/or you must have atleast two years experience in applications working under a licensed company. You may also employ a licensed applicator if you can find one, (this is not to be confused with a certified technician). This, however, is not feasible to most companies just starting in the business.

Phishook
07-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Runner
Now, comes the tricky part. T be licensed as an Applicator foe business, you have to either hold a Bachelor degree in Horticulture, Turf Management, Agronomy, or a related field, and/or you must have atleast two years experience in applications working under a licensed company. You may also employ a licensed applicator if you can find one, (this is not to be confused with a certified technician). This, however, is not feasible to most companies just starting in the business.

Is this true in IN too.

Here's my situation. I pass the core exam, but that was in 1998, I think. Is that expired?

I ment to take the the turf exam, but I was was too busy :drinkup:. Is that the 3a or 3b?

What's the cost in IN? $80?

jeff_0
07-10-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Phishook
Is this true in IN too.

Here's my situation. I pass the core exam, but that was in 1998, I think. Is that expired?

I ment to take the the turf exam, but I was was too busy :drinkup:. Is that the 3a or 3b?

What's the cost in IN? $80?

i'm pretty sure it expires after 1 year.. so you'll have to retake it. it's the 3c