PDA

View Full Version : flyer laws

eddy13
07-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Are there any no-no's when handing out door to door flyer's? I know not to put them in or on mail boxes. Should I place one at a residence that already seems to have their lawn taken care of, or do I just hand them out to the yards that are overgrown, or both?
-Ed

Turf Medic
07-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Don't pre-judge anyone. Put the flyers on everyone's door. Pick a neighborhood where you want to work and saturate the area with flyers, then go back a month later and put them out again.

eddy13
07-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks Turf Medic
-Ed

mtdman
07-07-2003, 11:43 PM
"no solicitors" stickers should be obeyed.

I used fliers on telephone polls when I first started, with pull tags. Being a college town, there's fliers everwhere on poles, and it worked amazingly. Don't need to do that anymore, thankfully.

:D

Bob Minney
07-07-2003, 11:59 PM
I put them everywhere I would want to work.

eddy13
07-08-2003, 09:02 AM
thanks for the input.....After I get done mowing today, I am going to hand them out this evening...I'll let y'all know how it goes...
-Ed

dvmcmrhp52
07-09-2003, 08:44 PM
flyers work too well sometimes! I know but I would not do anything else when looking for more business because you see up close the properties you are soliciting and it works rather well.

Lawncare04
07-11-2003, 06:59 PM
putting flyer up at local grocery stores has worked well for me every time I have done it I have gotten and at least one call and then a Landscaping job or one time mowing deal.

and if you don't like the job or it is to far for you to travel you can always turn that person down.

Good luck,
Lawncare04

twippingbillie
07-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Is putting ads on mailboxes a no-no? I understand that opening someones mailbox is against the law but around here (St. Louis, MO) I see people driving by and rubberbanding flyers to mailboxes all the time.

Lawncare04
07-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Yes it is illegal in Kansas. I put a hundred flyer outside the mailbox on one of thouse red golf flags and not even a day had passed and i get a call from the post office telling me that it was illegal and that next itime they would fine me.

But you they might not care as much were your from try checking with your local post office.

Good luck,
Lawncare04

eddy13
07-18-2003, 09:09 AM
I have handed out 350 flyers in 3 days....waiting on results.
I am getting 350 more tonight...best of all it cost me nothing! I printed one up, using the computer. Then a friend copies them up at work for me. Sweet!

eddy13
07-18-2003, 11:40 PM
no calls today:mad:

T.E.
07-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Hello everyone, I have been following this thread on flyers because I could use some more high quality customers,and want to get the best response rate for my investment. So I have been checking around on flyers,door hangers,direct mail,etc. Good thing I checked because in my town door hangers are illegal they say you are advertising that someone isn't home. So just be sure to check with all the local laws to be safe. :(

tiedeman
07-19-2003, 06:57 PM
check with you county or city first to see whether you need a "Peddlers Permit."

GLAN
07-19-2003, 08:50 PM
talking about mailboxes

I provide a lawn application notice. We put it in the mailbox, top folded so it is seen outside the box

Only once did a mail carrier offer his nonsense regarding the mailbox. My reply was. I have a legal obligation to flag and notify the client that an application has been made. The mailbox is the most obvious place to put it and make sure it is brought inside and looked at.

The guy agreed, and now I do his lawn. Been doing it for 12 years.