PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a sprayer?

Hamons
07-07-2003, 10:59 AM
I am considering buying a used reconditioned 300 gallon sprayer but I am new to the spraying game and I have no idea what to look for?

The sprayer I ma looking at has a 5.5hp Honda engine with an autoreel. He had it in the paper for $2200 -- I offered him $1500 and he said if I brought him the cash before someone else came with more he would take it.

I've done some research and this seems like a fairly good deal --but I would like some of your opinions -- what should I look for to make sure it's not a lemon. Particularly the pump -- what should it have?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Grassmechanic
07-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Put some water in it and start it. Engine should run smooth and not smoke. Pump should pump at various pressures. Check entire systems for leaks, cracks, etc. In my opinion, if it has a Hypro diaphram pump, it is a plus. Wish I could find one like that.

Mike

LAWNGODFATHER
07-07-2003, 04:41 PM
He's got it..............

Make sure reel winds in on it's own.

No leaks

Not much to go wrong if it's a diaphragm pump.

You could replace the entire engine and pump system and still come out like a bandit.

Hamons
07-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Well I bought it! $1500.

I it works real well.

Brand new Hypro pump. 5.07 gpm 280 psi

300 gallon Fiberglass tank mounted on skid.

300' of Hose on working auto-reel.

Chemlawn gun.

Worse thing on it is that the 5.5 Honda is quite old. Runs strong enough -- but will be the first thing to go. Oil was very dirty so that worried me a little.

It has jet agitation -- but when it is not shutoff, the pressure is very weak. Is this normal?

I'll do the proud new dad thing and post some pics now!

Hamons
07-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Here she is

Grassmechanic
07-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Hamons

It has jet agitation -- but when it is not shutoff, the pressure is very weak. Is this normal?

If you are using the agitation while spraying, yes, the pressure will be weaker. There should be an adjustment on the pressure relief to compensate for it. You may have to mess with it until you have the pressure the way you want it. Change the oil and run the engine till it dies. The engine is a easy, cheap repair. You didn't tell us it was fiberglass. What a steal!

Mike

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
You didn't tell us it was fiberglass. What a steal!

Yup that's a $5000 set-up.

cemars
07-08-2003, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hamons
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic] Well I bought it! $1500.

Worse thing on it is that the 5.5 Honda is quite old. Runs strong enough -- but will be the first thing to go. Oil was very dirty so that worried me a little.

How old is quite old? I've got a 1991 Honda 5.5 with about 3000 hours on it and it runslike a champ. The first thing to go will be wear parts on the hypro, simple to repair though.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
I bet that engine even uncared for will still outlast the hoses.

BTW is that 3/8" hose on your reel?

Hamons
07-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Yes it is 3/8" hose. Good or bad?

I do not know how old the honda is.

To start the honda you have to wrap the pull string around the flywheel and pull it -- the rope is then loose in your hand.

I was truing it out some more and the Lesco gun locked up on me. It will only work on very low pressure. If the pressure goes up very high then the trigger squeezes in -- but no water comes out. You think it just needs a rebuild kit?

kickin sum grass
07-08-2003, 06:21 PM
it would be a good idea to rebuild the gun. I don't think they are much. We usually have a kit in stock to rebuild with when needed.

Get a pull start for that thing asap. In the mean time make sure you don't wrap the rope around your fingers when trying to start it. If the end catches in that flywheel once it fires, you make lose a couple of those fingers.

Ric
07-08-2003, 07:03 PM
3/8 hose good or bad??????

Good if you have to pull it all day long and applying up to 7 gallons per 1000 sq feet. It is lighter than a 1/2 hose.

Bad if you are doing pretreat for termites at 100 gallons per 1,000 sq feet.

As clean a unit as it looks LGF is right about price you can replace pump and motor and still be ahead. Electric Motor for hose reel is about $145.00 for a real good one. Therefore for a grand you can have all new parts. You Dun good boy.

Turf Medic
07-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Hamons
I was truing it out some more and the Lesco gun locked up on me. It will only work on very low pressure. If the pressure goes up very high then the trigger squeezes in -- but no water comes out. You think it just needs a rebuild kit?

How high of pressure are you trying to run?

Jason Rose
07-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Yep! rebuild kit. mine did the same thing this spring, worked fine on one lawn, went to the next fired it up and went to spray and the trigger was down and nothing was coming out, every time i released the pressure the handle would pop back into the off position. the rubber cone inside had broken off! little thing cost me 2 and a half hours! (trip to lesco) keep a couple on hand is the lesson here.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2003, 09:16 PM
$14 for rebuild kit.

About $26 for new recoil assm.

3/8 hose is ok, I still hate dragging it.

I keep a spare Chemlawn gun handy. $70

Hamons
07-09-2003, 11:41 PM
I bought the rebuild kit today for the gun -- worked like a charm -- no more problems.

Not super easy to take in and out of the trailer as you can expect. A couple 2 x 10's and some ingenuity worked just fine though.

CCLAWN
07-11-2003, 01:23 AM
heres my set up from sng out of ohio....if you do over 150k/day, this is way to go if spraying 2 gal mix

LAWNGODFATHER
07-11-2003, 04:10 AM
My eyes hurt just looking at the truck, it's so dang shinny.:eek:

CCLAWN
07-11-2003, 05:10 PM
LOL:D