PDA

View Full Version : Is a shapener necessary

LilRabbit
07-07-2003, 01:03 PM
I have been sharpening my blades for 5 years with an angle grinder, if I purchased a professional sharpener for around $800 would I wonder how I got along without it?

Rustic Goat
07-12-2003, 03:44 AM
Lots of opinions about this on this forum.
Personally, I use an angle grinder, don't see how spending $800. or more could really make that much difference, except in lowering my bank account.
Blade balancers are a different story, MagnaMatic is THE one to have.

mtdman
07-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
Personally, I use an angle grinder, don't see how spending $800. or more could really make that much difference, except in lowering my bank account.

Ditto.

:D

Magna-Matic
07-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Hello,

Please note our lawn care professional model of sharpener is $551.

What will a sharpener do for you:

1. Give you the SAME angle on your blade every time (consistantly)

2. Allow you to sharpen a blade in approx 60 seconds (saving you time)

3. Control your costs of blade maintenance.

See this cost analysis to see the costs of a sharpener over one season.

http://www.magna-matic.com/educate/cost_analy_9000.html

Thank you for your time,

brucec32
07-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Funny, I used a grinder for years and got by, but my blades weren't perfect. Then I got a blade sharpener and it's better but still no picnic to get them done.

What I have never done is balance blades, other than using common sense when sharpening and taking off roughly the same amount of metal. Yet for some reason I've never had vibration problems or had to replace a spindle, ever, in 12 years.

I bought a fairly new mower used recently and its blades were badly unbalanced. I sharpened them up and they were better. Why am I getting so lucky with blades?

A1 Grass
07-17-2003, 08:39 PM
$25.00 angle grinder and a little finesse.

Total time on each blade - about 5 minutes.

Cost over one season - about .25 per sharpening - I don't have to sharpen a hundred blades, just a few.

Consistent angle? - again, finesse required, but consistent enough. The grass has never said anything!

Balanced? - Shove a round screwdriver through the hole and see if it's balanced.

Not saying bad things about a professional model sharpner. Someone has to buy them. Personally, I'd put the $476.00 left over in my savings account.

DLS1
07-17-2003, 09:11 PM
I may be wrong, but I am with you guys about using a grinder and a nail.

Advertising is all about convincing you need their product. The more people buy it and talk about it then you got to contend with constant advertisement and also peer pressure (I got it so it must be good so why don't you buy it so you can be cool like me).

I am amazed at people who buy expensive t-shirts,basketball shoes,etc with a company name or logo on it but you could buy the same product without the logo for a lot cheaper.

A company gets free advertisement and charge you extra to advertise for them when you buy their product. There sure are a lot of insecure people that need those logos on their clothes to feel like they are with the popular people.

Hawkeye5
07-18-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm a gear-head and would love to use a blade grinder for my mulching blades, but the cost difference for a blade grinder vs. an angle grinder is maybe $750. I can't justify the additional expense and will continue to use a angle grinder.