PDA

View Full Version : Outside Introspection

MOW ED
09-28-2000, 06:13 PM
Wow I guess that I had too much time to think while on the mower today but I have to say that I had a real good feeling today.
Without sounding sappy or foolish, I was thinking about how nice it is to be doing this type of work. Every year we can work outside and make peoples lawns look great. We can help it out a little by fertilizing but even if we don't it grows anyway. Then we get to make money by cutting it.

Every year the leaves change and fall and give us the opportunity to be outside and pick them up.

Winter comes and gives some the opportunity to either rest or to plow snow. It will fall without us doing anything to help it out.

Spring time is a great time of new growth and once again the opportunity to be outside and making money.

I really feel lucky that I can do this. Yes there are days when stuff breaks and customers cry but in the end its all worth it because no matter what I do there is always the opportunity to be outside making money and enjoying nature.
Good Luck.

OBRYANMAINT
09-28-2000, 06:33 PM
woa!!

but i completely agree

script
09-28-2000, 09:00 PM
Mow Ed, I couldn't have said it better.

People thought I was crazy to leave an office job to do lawn care, and it has its bad days like ANY OTHER job. But on those good days,,, they just don't know what they're missing.

Scraper
09-28-2000, 09:47 PM
Right on Mow Ed.

And Script..I hear the same thing too at the office and I'm going for it next year!!! 6 years of P/T has shown me the light! :)

RMc Lawn
09-28-2000, 10:19 PM
COuld not agree more. Left 13 yrs of factory maint. and everyone told me it would not work. Now the ones that said I was crazy are asking for jobs. life is good!

Runner
09-28-2000, 11:26 PM
MOW ED, There is a word we use around these parts for what you described. It's the word Blessed. :)

Banzaitoy
09-28-2000, 11:38 PM
During the day I sit in Cubicle hell designing Nuclear Gloveboxes, sometimes when we look out the windows we see the mowing contractor out there. This guy runs a FLEET of 8 John Deere Tractors pulling 6' Bushhogs, 12 John Deere front mount mowers and a grew of 12-15 trimmers. I would love to score that contract. The site is there only contract and they are working 5 days a week to keep up.

BUSHMASTER
09-28-2000, 11:56 PM
I'am with you brother.

TGCummings
09-29-2000, 12:13 AM
Ed,

I just had a week and a half of 'bad days' in the mowing game, followed by one good day (today) that made it all worthwhile.

My brother works for a truss company, and worked his way from grunt to sawyer to yard foreman to designer in a cushy office in the last couple years. He has never been more miserable than he is right now in his office job.

My wife just got a promotion to head of the shipping department where she works. Every day now is a bad day.

Yeah, we got headaches, whiny customers, equipment delays, and even cash flow problems to deal with, but we've got our own schedules, the great outdoors, and no limits to our potential growth (beyond our imaginations).

And tomorrow is another day... :)

-TGC

yardsmith
09-29-2000, 12:51 AM
The Lord is good; maybe that's why most folks call Him the Good Lord. I have much to thankful for this year. If you haven't made $$ this year, then you need to be horsewhipped & strung up by the toenails!:)

scottb
09-29-2000, 09:11 AM
Those are the reasons I am trying to get back in the business. 10yrs ago I had about 10 yards made enough money to pay for all my equipment. And then had to quit because my day job was requiring 12 to 16 hour work days.
Now I own a small Chicken farm with a Perdue contract,so have a second income. Hopefully within 5 years I will be full time lawn care no more Japanese Company. Being outside is the great,making someones lawn the envy of every neighbor is also great, and to think people will pay you to do somthing you enjoy,man that is blessed.
Sorry if I rambled but had to add my 11cents.

lawrence stone
09-29-2000, 09:35 AM
Hook up Kirby and his local price fixing buddies. Scott maybe they will give you work that they have passed up.

Lots of work out there but all is at not a high margin.

cantoo
09-30-2000, 11:38 PM
I babysit 60 guys every working day. A couple of more toys and I will be ready to go fulltime in the Spring. The trouble is the closer it gets the further away it seems, the days are dragging by. We have everything we need to do the work we just want a few toys to make it easier on us. Leaf loader, truck with dump box, overseeder, alos keeping my eye open for a Steiner for 3 point hitch type equipment.