PDA

View Full Version : WHAT is the worst ACCIDENT you have had? Tell tell!!!

Lawn Lizards
07-07-2003, 07:00 PM
About 1 1/2 years ago, I was backing my Exmark 48" w/b off the trailor. Cranked it up, put in my earphones and ....... well, I couldn't really hear anything (that's my excuse), but wasn't paying attention. I held the left brake to do a 180 and head towards the driveway to start. As I was turning, a lawn spraying truck was flying down the street!!! WHAM!!!!

My wheel support slammed into the metal ladder on the side of the truck and whipped me back around facing the trailor!! hahahaha well, I wasn't laughing at the time. My wheel support (10 gauge pipe) was completely ripped off. That was the only damage ($70). Didn't even hurt the truck. I was ok, just got thrown off the sulky onto my feet.

I was all shook up after it, but now I laugh about it and it's a really FUNNY story to tell at a bar. I GOT IN AN ACCIDENT WITH A TRUCK; ON MY LAWNMOWER!

I want to hear some of your stories. C'mon!

polecat63
07-08-2003, 07:18 AM
Crossing an intersection and a woman in an Accura hit me broad side doing about 55mph. Through my truck about 15 ft, but luckily I wasn't pulling a trailer. Tore my rotator cuff though, $28,000 surgery and four month off!!

Live4Mowin'
07-10-2003, 12:21 AM
Ive never had a really bad accident compared to any of the ones Ive heard of but Id have to say my worst was breaking a guys landscape lighting with my weedwacker.

Meier
07-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Worst so far: I hit a gas meter with my Ferris 32" Hydro and it was really spewing out natural gas. Had to call the gas company out to repair it immediately.

Cost to me: $0.00.

I'm really interested in seeing this thread. So many folks carrying $1m insurance policies in addition to workman's comp. From what I've heard talking to others and from reading on LawnSite, there just isn't much reason for that amount of coverage.

I've spoken personally with 4 or 5 others in the industry. One guy had been in business for 20 years and had zero damages. One employee broke an ankle once during that 20 year span, but that's different insurance all together (workman's comp). The other guys I spoke with all had zero damages too.

I'm definitely interested in hearing horror stories.

Later,
DFW, TX

dforbes
07-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Forman cut his hand shapening blades. Thumb didn't work anymore. Had to take a tenden from his index finger and attach to his thumb. Lost 6 months work 3 surgerys but finally he has the use of his thumb. Did not follow policy of wearing gloves when sharpening blades. One time he got in a hurry and didn't follow saftey procedures and it almost cost him the use of his thumb. No one breaks sagty rules around him anymore. Its a shame it takes something like this to make people realize how important saftey is.

turfman33
10-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Had some catch the blade on the trim mower. Whip out and take a chip off my shin bone. Nice compound fracture. Turns out that I think it was these tube things that the guy had put next to the plants to feed the roots. It had some nice chops in it when I managed to get off the cruches and go take a look anyway.

Steve

Angelo
10-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Meier the way my insurance agent explained it to me was the million dollar policy is more for if you hit someone with a flying object and they get really injured or atleast sue you for a lot, but your right I have broken windows, one of my guys hit a car with the mower, dings on side of cars and the total for all those damages were less than $3,000.

tiedeman
10-01-2003, 11:29 PM
the worst thing for the business happened to one of my employees, almost cut off his arm with a chainsaw

Ryan Lightning
10-02-2003, 12:41 AM
When I had a partner, I ran a Walker, and used it on very small lawn next to the sidewalk. the grass was wet , I lost control, and got my fingers stuck between the 2 levers at the same time. and ended up backing the Walker into the rear fender of his new truck. He never did have that fixed. LOL

grass_cuttin_fool
10-02-2003, 07:12 AM
I mow a large cemetary and i quess one morning i wasnt really awake yet, and I hit a small hole or something and my walk behind caught a head stone and about threw me over the handle bars, had a nice bruise across my belly for 3 weeks, didnt hurt the stone or mower at all

Grassmechanic
10-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Didn't happen to me, but a buddy I was with was towing an air compressor behind a dump truck. He forgot to latch the pintle hitch. Compressor came off, snapped both safety chains, compressor crossed two lanes of traffic without hitting a car, and slammed into the front of a baitshop. Glass and bricks everywhere, but no customers injured, thank God.

LiquidLand
10-06-2003, 11:54 AM
First day on the job, Oct. 5, 1988...on a sit down sulky, behind a Gravely 36", went through a side gate into a sideyard, with 6' clearance between pool screen on the left, and fence on the right. A beautiful bougainvillea covered the fence, and proceeded to grab my right arm. I let go of the right handle, held on to the left, and before I knew it, was through the screen and desperately trying to keep the mower out of the pool! To no avail...took five of us to get it out. I got a different job...

ProMo
10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
I was on a roof of an apartment complex trimming palm trees when the bottom of my shoe came apart I fell 15 ft into some shrubs left a perfent circle were my head hit ended up breaking a wrist was at work the next day using a wb with 1 hand. That guy sold his biz to another guy and I was a passenger in the truck when the driver pulled right out in front of a car going about 60. My door was tied shut with rope from an earlier incident were the girl driving backed up by a tree with the door open, I was thrown out of the truck and was laying on the ground watching the trailer slide toward me I somehow jumped out of the way, I went to a doctor later that day and gave the owner a bill for 150 dollars he said he wouldnt pay it so I sued him thats how I got started

gramps
10-10-2003, 11:01 AM
I was spraying weeds. Wellcustomer calledto say the weeds were growing like crazy. I checked my weed killer. You guessed it water in my GASOLINE.:angry: Kids stole my gas and filled it with water. My mower didn't run too good. either.

DFW Area Landscaper
10-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Why would water in your gasoline have anything at all to do with the results you achieved by spraying weeds?

Don't tell me you intended to spray the weeds with gasoline? Because that's almost what it sounds like.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

gramps
10-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Sorry for confusing you with my writing style. Thats what I meant. Been using it for years. I carry it in my rusty pick up. Great stuff. Watch the smoking when applying.:blob2: :blob2: :angry: :angry:

gramps
10-10-2003, 02:29 PM
:D

Logan's Landscaping
10-12-2003, 11:42 PM
When i first started my business i was cutting right on a main road when the new anchor of a local tv station was passing by and a rock flew out and shattered her windshield .she told me that if i did not handle it she was going to talk about me on the news. i made a quick call to a glass company and had her windsheild fixed in 4 hours . needless to say she mentioned me on the news as a great lawn company and i have cut her grass at the station and her home ever since.