PDA

View Full Version : dixon or gravely

indian
07-07-2003, 08:40 PM
It currently takes me 1-1.5 hrs. to mow my lawn with a 21" mower depending on mulching or bagging. I would like to cut this time down if possible. I have 40" side gates on my fence. I am looking at getting a homeowner ztr. Either the dixon 3304 or the gravely 1232. Any thoughts on these machines? Which is better built, provides a better mulch cut and bagged cut. Ease of operation, etc. Thanks for the help.

Piedmont Lawn
07-07-2003, 10:41 PM
indian

See if you can get a demo on both of them and see which one you like. I'm not much for a Dixon and the Gravely 1232 is new this year "unproven".

Have you looked at anything else like Deere or Husqvarna they make home owner Z's.

Look around and demo, demo, demo. Also you may want to drop in at www.gardenweb.com and check out the lawn mower forum there is a lot of info about home owner mowers. The can be very opinionated but you can read through most of it.

Later
Kelly

j_loppy
07-07-2003, 10:46 PM
If you are currently using a push mower and don't mind the exercise, I'd get a commercial walk behind that does not have a "stamped" deck. It will cost about the same as the ZTR you are looking at and will be much easier to maneuver through the gates on your property.

I do not own any Z mowers, but have two walk-behinds and one of them has a sulky for larger properties. Big mowers are nice, but it sounds like you'll spend more time turning around than mowing.

Of note... the homeowner model machines you are looking at would probably be okay, but if you plan on buying a mower that will last a lifetime buy a commercial machine. Look at the decks closely when you compare the two- you WILL see a difference.

PartsGuy
07-12-2003, 02:42 PM
We sell both the Dixon and the Ariens/Gravely line of product and I can tell you without any question that the 1232 Zoom is an incredible mowing machine! We have sold many of them this year and have had 0 problems. With any new and unproven mower you can expect some problems along the way, but not with the 1232. I have been amazed at the amount of hours put on these machines with no failures at all.
Make sure you look at the newer version with the new handles, oil drain, & easier seat pin. The first series we received were ok, but with the improvements made this mower is even better.
Go with the 1232 and you will not be unhappy!!!

Parts Guy
:sleeping:

65hoss
07-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Given the 2 choices I would look seriously at the Gravely. See if you can demo both on your lawn. That will tell you a lot. You will like one more than the other.

A ZTR is as manuverable or more manuverable than a w/b in the hands of an experienced operator. A small ztr with mulch kit on a home lawn is perfect for getting around beds, trees, buildings, etc.