PDA

View Full Version : sales tax??

1stclasslawns
09-28-2000, 09:00 PM
Do any of you charge sales tax?
One of my coworkers at the fire station does power washing we have the same accountant And he has been advised to charge sales tax while I havent, any thoughts, comments?

TLS
09-28-2000, 09:09 PM
I'm in PA and Lawn service is a taxable service. Have been collecting it since 1990. Pain in the but remiting the quarterlys, but oh well. However if I sod a NEW CONSTRUCTION lawn, not allowed to tax. The computer makes figuring out taxes a breeze now and only takes a few key swipes to add it all up every quarter.

bob
09-28-2000, 09:10 PM
Delaware has no sales tax! :)

beck
09-28-2000, 09:15 PM
I would definitely check with your accountant to make sure, but I was told if I did a job, requiring materials, for someone and submitted a bill to them that I should not
delineate between labor and materials that I should just give them the total price. That way I would not have to charge sales tax and save a few hassles.

TLS
09-28-2000, 09:22 PM
Depends on state. I don't pay tax on materials so I CAN charge the customer. Cant charge tax on tax. A service is a service whether it is a product performing that service or labor to apply that product.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
09-28-2000, 09:31 PM
Here in Maryland only goods are taxed. Services are tax free, with a few exceptions, none in lawn/landscaping field. Just tax the material when you resell to the consumer.

powerreel
09-29-2000, 11:35 AM
some states also have a city tax as well be careful they will get you!

Cutter1
09-29-2000, 02:47 PM
I have to chargesales tax in PA. Like they said, pain in the butt, but you have to. I pay quartelry, but after they see you are making a certain amount, you have to pay monthly. Uncle Sam is ruthless.

Bobby
09-29-2000, 06:56 PM
They tried it about ten years ago in Florida. What a nightmare. Only lasted about six months. Then they went back to no taxes on services. I think they decided to tax you good people from up north a little harder when you visit.

chrisbolte
10-01-2000, 03:07 PM
Live in Ohio and we are required to pay sales tax. Service vendors license. We have to fill out form monthly it is a pain in the butt.