PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Cabover or 3500?

ztrguy
07-08-2003, 12:57 PM
All this talk about how everyone loves their Isuzu Cabover w/ either the flatbed w/ dove tail or with the box van style. I was wondering if anyone has a Chevy or Dodge 3500 with a dovetail or a van box for the bed? I would rather get a 3500 than a Isuzu. I could put the original bed back on after every season so I can enjoy the truck more. What do you guys think?

LAWNGODFATHER
07-08-2003, 05:43 PM
And how do you think you are going to move the 2000# dove tail bed or 3000# cube box?

Once you put these beds on, they stay on, they are welded to the frame for support in several places.

The weight of these bed are also the reason they are not put on 12,000 and under gvw trucks anymore.....

They are put on the small cabovers for the 14mpg they get and the tight turning radius.

BTW you're not putting this on a single rear wheel truck, and the duellies that have beds are still to light.

ztrguy
07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
With all my equipment I have laying around here. We buy and sell heavy equipment.

MacLawnCo
07-08-2003, 10:57 PM
If you are thinking of putting a landscaper bed on a 3500 duallie that you buy with a 8' bed on, it wont fit. There was one here that was on a 3500 HD, but it turned horibly and just didnt look as sharp as the NPRs running around here. The 3500 HD had a really looong rear frame on it, much longer than an 8' bed would give you. If you want a GM, get a Chevy/GMC W3/4500...its basicly the same as an NPR as far as i know.

o-so-n-so
07-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Why not just buy the truck, leave the bed like it is, and buy a nice enclosed trailer. Then you can enjoy your truck everyday. Changing beds would be a pain...............What if?.... You just got you standard bed put back on and someone called about doing a clean up. You looked at job, give a good price and got the work. DAAAANNNNNNNNG...got to change that bed. You might lay awake at night thinking about changing truck beds and thats OK. Just not on my list of most fun things to do...........

David Haggerty
07-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Personally I prefer the cabover.
I used to deliver lease trucks for Bush leasing in the winter.
They were UD (Nissan)
They sat higher, and were more comfortable than a pickup.
If I were leaving for California today I'd choose the cabover over a pickup. Of course we paid our own fuel costs.

I own a Dodge Cummins dualie. When It croaks I'm getting a cabover. It'll pull my 5th wheel camper south every winter. It'll be better than a pickup. Saw quite a few like that in Florida last winter.

Besides I like the idea of getting more truck for less money.

Dave

SWD
07-09-2003, 07:25 AM
I have a f350 dually,and like it quite a bit. However, I have been looking for a cab over with the landscape bed and possibly the dump bin like the old grass master trucks.
What ever happened to grass masters - they go out of business?
Any thoughts on the 4-dr cabovers, manufacturers, engines, etc?

MSYardman
07-09-2003, 01:42 PM
How much does it add to the price to put on a crew cab on an Isuzu cabover? Or, any other brand?

Seems we need room for four occassionally.

williamslawn
07-10-2003, 08:38 PM
What is the life expectancy of a cab over? How many worry free miles can you expect to get? I am looking at a used Diesel with a 16' enclosed box. Auto, A/C Very clean but High miles 1998 model.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-10-2003, 09:17 PM
230,000, then they recommend you have the head done as preventive maint.

Lawn Tek
07-10-2003, 09:28 PM
B T W they make a cabover w/ landscape body for hauling mowers etc. that also dumps

MacLawnCo
07-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Lawn Tek, do you know the manufacturer or have a link to that body?

williamslawn
07-10-2003, 10:07 PM
What is the approx. cost for the head work?

Gravel Rat
07-11-2003, 01:11 AM
The problems with the COEs is they are slow on the road your not dealing with big power those Isuzu engines put out 140hp if you do alot of highway travel and mountain climbing you will be struggling. They do carry a good load but so does a F-450 or a F-550 I have put 9000lbs on a F-550 with no problems at all.

The COE trucks have rust problems the cabs on these trucks rot off if you live in the rust belt like I do any of those truck older than 5 years old got a case of cancer.

The COE trucks are good if you never leave pavement if you do any off roading of any kind they get stuck easy being front heavy. I don't mean hard core off roading I'am talking about navigating a construction site or climbing a steep dirt driveway.

If you go with a 1 ton truck Ford Chev or ugh Dodge you need a truck with a 161" wheelbase range to run a 12 foot bed a 8 foot deck is almost useless for hauling anything. To get a wheelbase this long you will be looking at Ford or Chevies because Dodge didn't make very many cab and chassis trucks they are not in that market.

With our DOT rules here where I live any truck that has a gvw greater than 12,000lbs you get socked with DOT rules and regs which makes owning a 12,000lb plus gvw a bit harder. Right now I own a 89 F-Superduty and I don't have it registered for its full 14,500 gvw to avoid some of the DOT ----.

I'am going back to a F-350 4x4 and register it for 12,000lb gvw and I avoid all the DOT crappola and I legally can carry 5000lbs but the truck can carry 6000lbs pretty easy. I need the extra traction of 4 wheeldrive but the solid front axle (dana 60) can carry more weight better than the twin I beam in the 2wd.

Lawn Tek
07-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Mac Lawn Land King truck body sold by Middle Ga Freightliner
800 - 899 -8696

Victor
09-20-2003, 10:54 AM
If you buy a 99, or newer Isuzu, you won't have any of the power problems that the older models have. My 99 has 175 hp. It climbs hills and goes down the highway with ease. When I drove it back from Memphis (to Columbus where I live), I averaged 77mph. Sometimes I was a little over 80. As far as climbing hills, it does just fine at that too. The 99's also don't have the transmission problems that the older trucks have. Isuzu replaced the old, problem ridden trannies, with Aison (not to be confused with Allison) trannies. They are much sturdier. I'd be glad to Email pictures of my truck to anyone that is considering one of these trucks. I think you'd really like what you saw. I'll never go back to a truck, and trailer.

P.S. How do you post pics on here?

Victor

bigdaddyspags
09-29-2003, 10:49 PM
can you get a 4X4 version of a cab-over truck?

JML
09-30-2003, 01:19 PM
I think from now on, thats all I will buy for our cutting crews are cabovers.. I am sick and tired of our trailers, trailer tires,brakes, lights, etc.... A couple guys in our area started using them and really love them.. Seems cheaper than full ton truck as well..

morturf
10-01-2003, 03:54 AM
Mitsubishi makes a 4x4 cabover.