PDA

View Full Version : Working for another LCO?

jnm4
07-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Would you work for another LCO? I have an opportunity to work for another LCO in my area for the remainder of this years season.

How would you approach this opportunity?
Shoud I mention I'm trying to establish a LCO next year?

I really want to learn the in's/out's of the business especially bidding on properties. Should I tell this gentleman my intent up front???

Thanks
Joey

mrbenfer
07-08-2003, 06:43 PM
I would love to have worked for a local LCO before i started. Nobody would hire me because i am 17. So I read this site for 3 months and it taught be everything i could ever have to know about mowing grass/billing/bidding ect.. All i needed was experience.

But since i started my own lco, this site has helped so much.

I would Finnish the year with this LCO and then start up advertising through winter and spring. Get a head start on the competition.

goodbeus
07-08-2003, 08:58 PM
DO IT!!!!!!!!You'll find out if this is really what you want to do before you start spending money...MANY people ask me for advice on starting their own business...I tell them,"Go work for a lco for 6 months." and explain why...most don't listen to my advice, they'll go spend a lot of money on equipment. Gets hot or winter arrives and they decide this isn't for them and they've lost money..

jnm4
07-09-2003, 02:14 AM
goodbeus-

you mentioned advice...what type of advice do/did you give these people? How would you respond if a person wants to work for you, but has intention to start his/her own LCO?

Finally, did you ever discuss how you bid on properties with new employees?

I appreciate your help.

Joey

goodbeus
07-09-2003, 07:36 AM
I don't teach them the business side of running the business, only the field side...how to edge,mow,trim,blow,trim hedges...after about 6 months, they have a good idea if this type of work is really for them...most decide it isn't...most people think, "Hey, it sure is a nice sunny breezy day. Temp is 78, think I'll start a lawn business." After working with me, they realize it's not as easy as they thought.:blob1: