PDA

View Full Version : Knowing our place in the food chain...

KirbysLawn
09-28-2000, 10:30 PM
Today I had my second biggest sales day ever scheduled, feeling really good. :) When starting this am was at my friends shop, he was on his Nextel with Lesco, placing an order for 2 more pallets of seed and fertilizer to be delivered to his shop, made a total of 7+ pallets so far. BTW, when we got back it was delivered and stocked in his shop, very impressive service!

Later, while on an aeravation job I was talking to a local landscaper who had crews placing Sod in several lawns. He said today was his biggest day in 15 years, he had placed Sod in 15 lawns!

Just let me know what potential there is and how small I am. :)

Ray

paul
09-28-2000, 10:39 PM
Biggest sod day (for the labor) was 7000 sq. yds in one day. Crew size was 4 men.

Most profitable day was installing a stone wall for office complex park, two men, 6 tons stone 25K cost ($560)

Biggest sod week 25K sq. yds. all small rolls (would have done more but caused water shortage in subdivision, no water pressure vilage shut us down from installing more).

KirbysLawn
09-28-2000, 11:00 PM
Paul, $560.00 profit for the day?

Lazer
09-28-2000, 11:25 PM
Doggoneitall!

I worked all day- 8:30-6:30 (minus lunch) fertilizing and weed control and didn't even complete ONE property.

Keith
09-29-2000, 12:19 AM
I went in the local Lesco about a month ago to pick up a few bags of 24-5-11. They had just taken an order for $60,000 worth of Dursban from one of the big companies.

[Edited by Keith on 09-29-2000 at 03:21 AM]

paul
09-29-2000, 01:41 AM
NO cost of material on job $560.

jaclawn
09-29-2000, 07:29 AM
Later, while on an aeravation job I was talking to a local landscaper who had crews placing Sod in several
lawns. He said today was his biggest day in 15 years, he had placed Sod in 15 lawns!

A person with the "right" overhead just might put more in his pocket at the end of the day than that guy. The bigger you are, the more it costs you to do business.

If one said that they fert/wc on 35 properties in a day, would you all be impressed? I am more impresses with what Lazer did.

People really need to get over the "more is better thinking"

lawrence stone
09-29-2000, 09:12 AM
Kirby wrote:

>Just let me know what potential there is

None.

All those big guys are bidding the same big jobs in what ever area they work in and profit margins are slim to none.

Most of them will net personally a bit more than a good solo contractor and will have 100X the headaches and will
end up dead of a stroke or heart attack.

There is too much of a labor storage now to work big jobs at small margins when small jobs at big margins are easily available.

KirbysLawn
09-29-2000, 09:28 AM
Jaclawn, I understand "Profitability, not quantity", any problem with doing both, having a good profit margin and doing quanity? Yesterday I did quanity and cleared $1300 in profit.

Stone, I'm sure this guy is making a profit and knows how to run a profitable business. There is no labor shortage here so that's not a problem. The way you talk everyone should stay solo and never expand.

Ray

jaclawn
09-29-2000, 12:19 PM
Kriby- My point being, that guy that did 15 times the quantity that you did may have only put $1400 in his pocket at the end of the day. His sales may have been more, but his overhead has to be higher to support it. He sas to pay all those employees, all those trucks, pay for warehouse space for all those trucks, pay a secretary to handle all that paperwork...