PDA

View Full Version : Chip in windshield

Ocutter
09-29-2000, 07:48 AM
Sorry for the awkward post, but I wanted to get a quick reply. A rock got kicked up by the 18 wheeler in front of me the other day. Put a dime sized chip in my windshield. Are there any quick fix methods you guys use for this. Super glue or rubber cement perhaps? Thanks.

mowerman90
09-29-2000, 07:56 AM
Check with your insurance company. Here in Florida if you have a chip or crack in your windshield your insurance must replace it without charging a deductable. MAybe your state has a simular law.

powerreel
09-29-2000, 12:08 PM
you should have written down the info on the truck and called them

pottstim
09-29-2000, 06:50 PM
hmmm..being as it was kicked up by the semi and didn't fall off the truck, i can't see why they'd be liable for it.
Ocutter, if i were you, i'd check with the insurance company on that. The same exact thing happened to my folks and i while driving through Pennsylvania on I-81. It's been 8 or 9 years since this happened..but I think my folks paid a $100 deductable..and the insurance paid the rest. The total bill was over $400 I think. Besides, that chip will probably grow those dreaded "Spider Webs". Just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Best of Luck,
Tim

excel25
09-29-2000, 07:50 PM
Call a couple of used car lots and ask them if they have a windshield repair co. that fixes small chips. you would be supprised how many get fixed at car lots.

bob
09-29-2000, 09:49 PM
I've never tried it, but someone told me to use clear finger nail polish and fill the chip up with it.

KirbysLawn
09-29-2000, 09:53 PM
Pottstim would be correct, road debris kicked up from the road is a "road hazard" and the truck would not be responsible. Check the phone book for glass repair, several companies are around here that fix windshields.

Ocutter
09-29-2000, 09:57 PM
Thank you- I'll call around and see what turns up.

mdb landscaping
09-29-2000, 09:57 PM
i have to agree with mowerman90. here in CT we had our winshield replaced under insurance at no cost to us. if you dont fix the winshield it will likely crack some day when the temperature fluxuates a great deal. i dont know of any rubber cements or quick fixes but id check and see if your insurance covers it.