PDA

View Full Version : Payment Envelopes

mtdman
07-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Here's a problem that came up just recently. I send out monthly statements and I always included a small payment envelope with the statement, self addressed, for the check. I have had a few problems in the past, mostly once or twice a year, with payments not reaching me or showing up months late, etc. In June, I had 10 envelopes that were either eaten or lost in the mail. After speaking with the Post Office, they told me that some new sorter machine of theirs likes to eat smaller envelopes and to go to bigger ones.

Problem was, the smallest bigger envelope I could find wouldn't fit in my statement envelope. So, I passed out a bundle of 6 of the larger envelopes, self addressed, for customers to use for the remainder of the season. I'd like to find an envelope that would fit inside the statement, but so far no luck. They are the same size, more or less, and I don't want to fold the payment envelope.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

:D

ffemt1271
07-10-2003, 01:24 AM
since it costs a small fortune to mail something nowadays, tell the p.o. to fix thier machine!!!

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
07-10-2003, 08:11 AM
im in the same general area as you mtdmaster and havent had any troubles with my return envelopes. must just be the A2 post office. Thank God

wriken
07-10-2003, 08:30 AM
I include a # 6 3/4 envelope in my # 10 envelope, which I have'nt had a problem as of yet. But when I was thinking of adding a return envelope, seem like I had heard of a envelope a little bit smaller then a # 10 which should work fine. Check with staples etc.

Bob Minney
07-10-2003, 09:07 AM
A #9 will just fit in a #10. Customer wont have to fold check either. Your print shop should be able to do them or if you do your own go to a paper supplier that caters to printers.

MasterForm
07-10-2003, 05:01 PM
1.) Mail out your statements with #10 (window) envelopes.
A single large window is cheapest, but you can get double windows or have them printed.

2.) Include a #9 window for the return.
Then, configure your software to print your address where the window is on the tear-off portion of your invoice.

That will be the least costly and yet very professional way of doing it. Most all billing software today is easily customizable to accomodate this.

mtdman
07-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by MasterForm
1.) Mail out your statements with #10 (window) envelopes.
A single large window is cheapest, but you can get double windows or have them printed.

2.) Include a #9 window for the return.
Then, configure your software to print your address where the window is on the tear-off portion of your invoice.

That will be the least costly and yet very professional way of doing it. Most all billing software today is easily customizable to accomodate this.

I send the statements in #10 window envelopes with the address printed by my QuickBooks program. For some reason all I can find is #10 or #6(?) solid security envelopes for returns/payments. I passed out the #10s in bundles of 6 to all my customers, which should hold 'em through the season.

Ram, all the A2 mail goes to Detroit for sorting. No sorting machines at the local post office, supposedly. :dizzy:

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-10-2003, 11:06 PM
My bills go out in a #10 window envelope with enclosed self addressed stamped return #10 envelope which I fold into thirds. No problems whatsoever. We've been doing this at the office for 10 years and no problems there either.

Rustic Goat
07-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Sounds like postal clerk b.s.
Maybe that location had 'a' problem with 'a' machine that wasn't set up correctly.
Just fold another #10 and put inside.

KenH
07-11-2003, 08:33 AM
I had a customer receive a bill 3 years late. He called me to question the work on the bill, and when he looked further, noticed the date was for 2000!!

LawnLad
07-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Go to the main post office branch in your area and they will make for you at NO cost a page layout for a #9 envelope (or whatever size you use) for you to take to your printer and have them printed. Print in quantities of 500 if you like. We buy in quantities of 2500 (a case) since it's cheaper and I know we'll use them. I use them when I send out contracts too.

A pre printed #9 envelope with the all the bar coding set up to USPS specs will get to you the quickest with the least number of lost pieces. In the past 8 yrs I don't think I've had a lost piece yet, only one or two that have been slightly damaged and show up in the plastic bag.

After I get the "slick" from the USPS I would take it to the printer and for a little custumization have your logo added to the upper left corner of the envelope.

Mail the #9 with your bill in the #10 window envelope. It's not that expensive and it makes it easy to sort your mail to when you've got a stack of it.