PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on my estimate/SOS form!!

walker-talker
07-10-2003, 11:50 PM
I tried to include everything I have to offer, but the hardest part is adding the things you don't currently offer and plan on in the future. Office Max will make a 250 copies of 2 sheet, cabonless for around $45. Please note, under the area that states "Common Pesticides to be Applied" the information is not totally accurate, mispelled words and duplicated. I just put this in there to get a feel of what it will look like.

So, what do you think and how can I improve it???

MATT

rvsuper
07-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Matt that looks really good!

walker-talker
07-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the support Alex!!

One thing I was unsure of was that I included my fertilizer program on the form. Since this is my first year doing this, this is the first program I have put together. One thing I am afraid of is that is going to alter throughout the next few years and I am going to be stuck with this on my form and since I HAVE to order 250, that could last me a few years, unless things pick-up big time. I guess that is just the price I am going have to pay, unless I was to put some blank lines in there instead. I did a search of different programs that LCO's had to offer, but did not find much.

MATT

rvsuper
07-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Why is it in the pesticides to be used column that the .21% Dimension is there 3 times?

LawnLad
07-12-2003, 02:19 AM
Couple of questions/points to consider for what it's worth.

1) Are you quoting a firm price for the season? Or are you billing a la carte/fee for service? Tough to tell how you're structuring your pricing.

2) An estimate is a ball park, a bid is a firm price. You may want to have a bid which then estimates xx hours for a, b and c tasks. But the bid would be a firm number for either a specific item such as weekly service invoiced separately or a season long program with a lump sum price.

3) Just as you'll never be able to set up a truck to do all things that you want and to do all things well, it's tough to set up a catch all form that will do all things well. Consider separting your bid form into a couple of different forms.

4) If this is an "estimate" or quote form why do you need to list the pesticides with EPA numbers on it? I think you only need to list this when you actually apply the materials. So this information should be left ouf of the bid form.

5) Consider writing up a sheet or make a brochure that details your service. It's like "scope of work" portion of the contract. This way when you say "weekly maintenance visit" or somthing similar - it includes a,b,c. You'll be able to better describe what you do without being concerned about space on the page. With each bid or quote you would then give them this brochure/sheet with your list of definitions to explain the detail, leaving your quote form to cover specifics of the job (not the general detail) and the pricing.

6) How do you use the "Total" at the bottom of the page? Do you add up all the other services and then give a lump sum season long contract price? If so, you might just want to tell them what the final price is and what they'll get service wise but I would not list the individual pricing or quantity. You will invite a line item negotiation from the customer. If you go lump sum pricing you don't need to justify your line item pricing unless it's part of your sales pitch. But his has limitations.

7) How frequently do you perform these services? Is it necessary to answer this? If you do lump sum pricing how do you arrive at the final number. If no, then an indication in the "services" brochure or write up might indicate that aerating is scheduled for one to two times per year depending on site conditions. How about the thatching?

8) How do they accept your proposal? Where do they sign? Is this a verbal agreement? Do you have any terms and conditions?

walker-talker
07-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Alex, I have the dimension 5 times just to see how that will look. I will have the top 5 chemicals applied in this area so that all I have to do is check the box, rather than fill out the above portion (other than the sq ft area).

LawnLad, most estimates are given as bid and I do not require that they sign anywhere, just a verbal agreement. I like the idea of adding "terms of agreement". Since I starting applying chemicals, I have had more calls for one-time applications vs. full season contracts. I incorporated the estimate form and SOS form basically just to save me money and hassle of having two seperate forms made. I like the idea about the brochure and had thought of that already and will do that in the future. I agree that a "catch all" form would be difficult, especially in the early growth stages of a business.

Thanks for the input and keep them coming!!!

MATT