PDA

View Full Version : round-up sprayer

glenjr10
07-11-2003, 03:03 PM
I am studying to take my pesticide license test, and am trying to plan my business. I have searched for spray rigs, and Most that I find are to large for my current needs.

I was wondering what everyone used to spray round-up? Do you clean your tank out after each use, or leave the round-up in, (it would be the only spray used).

Reason that I am doing this, is because i mow a few yards with gravel parking lots, and the clean look of a gravel parking lot looks a lot better than straggling grass lines IMO.

Any help would do.

Thanks in advance.

rob1325
07-12-2003, 12:27 AM
I use a backpack sprayer. I use it for weed spray in beds, curbs, etc. I put in large letters on it Round-UP, So everyone knows thats what that tank is for only. I have many back pack sprayers with labels on them to tell everyone there specified use.(I find it just easier than having to cleaning it out throughly when useing different pesticides). I do have a 300 gallon sprayer but never used round-up in it. Just clean tank out 3 or 4 times and it should be fine.

kickin sum grass
07-12-2003, 12:43 AM
back pack for small jobs, 25 gal electric pump w 100' hose for larger jobs.

glenjr10
07-12-2003, 12:56 AM
rob,
do you leave the excess roundup in the sprayer.

kickin,
what size hose do you use, and what type pump are you using.

I know it will depend on my location, but approximately what do you charge per 1000, and about how much liquid will you use in that 1000 sq ft.

Thanks for your input

lugnut#6
07-12-2003, 12:01 PM
what do yall use to clean you sprayer and tank between different
chemicals?

Grassmechanic
07-12-2003, 01:08 PM
I use a hand held or backpack sprayer for small areas. For larger areas (like parking lots), I use a hose end sprayer in place of my chemlawn gun. That way, no roundup is ever in my tank.

Mike

ChicagoLawn
07-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Please explain more about the hose end sprayer................... very interesting!

It's got to beat mixing back pack sprayers for large stone areas to be treated with round up.

Thanks,

ChicagoLawn

Grassmechanic
07-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Sure, basically I'm using my 200 gallon spray tank as a water source. I fill it with water only. I then remove the chemlawn gun and screw a hose end sprayer in it's place. I then fill the hose end reservoir with the roundup and spray away. This way I don't have to worry about roundup residue in my tank.

Mike

ChicagoLawn
07-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the quick response!

I understand the mechanics of the hose end sprayer you describe, but I'm having a hard time picturing what type you are using?

Can you post a picture or a link to a web site so I can view?

Are using dry or liquid Round-Up concentrate?

Which works best?

Appreciate your expertise!

ChicagoLawn

Grassmechanic
07-14-2003, 08:51 AM
ChicagoLawn, I'm sorry I don't have a camera. I use an Ortho Dial 'n Spray hose end sprayer. I use liquid Roundup (actually Honcho). I've never used dry R-up, so I can't answer your question as to which works the best. The method is quite simple, if you've used a hose end sprayer before. The only thing different is that the hose I'm using is 300' long and driven by my spray rig pump. HTH.

Mike

walker-talker
07-14-2003, 10:34 AM
ChicagoLawn, here is pic of a cheap one. This one made by Gimour. The thin black thing on top is the dial. On the reverse side on the bottle is a chart of what the dial should be on to get the correct mix. I use a product called Kills All. It's made by Hi Yield and IMO works much faster and more effective than Round-Up....it's less expensive also.

Grassmechanic, using this for spraying a non-selective herbicide is a great tip!

MATT

ChicagoLawn
07-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks Grassmechanic & Walker Talker,

I assumed that was the type of hose end sprayer you were speaking of. I don't know why I never thought of using that for large non-selective applications.

Thanks for the $2,000!!!!! (money saved for gaining value with current spray tank set up - do not need a seperate 50 gallon +/- spray tank, to ensure no contamination)

Appreciate your expertise!

ChicagoLawn

Trav
07-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Is it hard to calibrate those types of hose end sprayers? Are they pretty accurate with the onces per gallon? thanks

bam
07-14-2003, 10:13 PM
use 2 gallon handheld sprayers or 4 gallon backpack sprayers. for larger areas have 25 gal. spot sprayer tanks that have a 12volt pump to keep constant 60psi. can go on an atv or truck. and have a 300 gal. spray tank with 200-300ft of hose for large area needs.

we use quikpro dry for small apps and liquid glyphosphate for large tank mixes. if your using chemicals frequently, in season, its not going to hurt your sprayer, however towards the end of the season i would spray out your tank and clean it.

there is lesco sol and tank out, etc. "soaps" in a sense to help clean tanks and neutralize chemicals. Usually to clean properly you would triple rinse your tank and spray out the remnants in the manner the original chemical was labeled for.

right now several considerations: insects, nutsedge, leftover clover from poor turf apps, and the regular weeds. so i'm carrying 4 sprayers on my truck - one with confront to control clover, one with manage to control nutsedge, one to mix insectides whether its orthene, mpede, etc and one for Quikpro.

also you may want to get info on soil sterilants. in the correct environment, possibly your stone drives, it will prevent growth of plant material for up to a year. chemicals such as pramitol and sahara. however, in the wrong area they drift and cause more damage than good.

Grassmechanic
07-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Trav
Is it hard to calibrate those types of hose end sprayers? Are they pretty accurate with the onces per gallon? thanks

Actually, they are pretty accurate. But, as with most anything you do spraying with, it will wear over time. Calibration is easy. Just add the chemical, turn the dial to the rate/gallon that you want to apply, and spray away.

ChicagoLawn and Walker-talker, I'm glad to be of assistance. Good luck to both of you.

Mike

greensummer
07-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the great tip!;)

lawndreamer
07-15-2003, 06:44 PM
I work for a co. and I spray with a 300 gal tank.
We spray gravel areas in utility substations and power plants all summer long.

I'm going to start spraying myself and am interested in something to neutralize or rinse my tank with.

I'll be spraying Accord which is an industrial Round-up for the gravel areas then doing lawn apps with same tank. I realy wonder if this is a good Idea and how well these chemicals that are for rinsing, and neutralizing work? I don't have the option of using different tanks unless I want to get an additional truck which I don't.

Does anyone have experience with this method or does some of you stay away for fear of killing lawns?

Grassmechanic
07-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Lawndreamer - try my method above. You won't have to worry about Roundup residues and there is no added expense to buy other cleaners for your tank. Plus you'll save yourself the time to properly clean your tank.

Mike

lawndreamer
07-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Won't work, because the utility companies decide the chemicals used. Accord, Diuron, oust, traillite, mist-trol are the chemicals that will be applied to the bareground areas.

In order to use your method I would have to spray same area atleast 5 times and then it wouldn't be worth it.

Grassmechanic
07-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Why didn't you say you were mixing other chems? You only stated a R-up clone. Buy a new tank for doing these kinds of apps. You'll be further ahead.

Mike