PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

iowastorm
09-29-2000, 09:10 PM
I'm currently bidding on a large apartment complex with 450 units situated on roughly 400 acres have been asked to bid on the snow removal and lawn care (mowing and trimming). Bidding the snow removal is a breeze, but have never bid mowing on a job this size. I realize that there are a vast amount of variables here, however, if anyone could steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. What I do know is that there is about 50 acres to be mowed with some minor hills. Also, there is one large hill about 100'x 50'long that has a very steep grade. As of now, I'm figuring about 32 man hours for mowing and another 8 hours for trimming. Our growing season here is usually 26 weekly mowings, so I'm estimating around $39K for the entire mowing side of the contract. I'm really not too sure if this amount is too high, but I definately don't want to lose our shorts by underbidding. Can anyone lend some advice?

Barkleymut
09-29-2000, 09:22 PM
A steep hill in Iowa?? Must be man-made. If you don't already have one and get this job get a ZTR. I will assume you already have one. I would charge around 1500.00 per cut. Then I would find ways to shave off time from each cut to make it more profitable. Spraying fence lines, spraying growth controls on difficult cutting areas. Buying better more productive equipment. Good Luck.

curlawngreen
09-29-2000, 10:35 PM
How many acres? Snow also?