PDA

View Full Version : backpack sprayer uses......

Expert Lawns
07-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I have a few customers that like when i spray their rock beds with roundup or some other type of weed killer, but it takes so long to do with that little nozzle that the roundup bottle has. Is it possible to dump that into a backpack sprayer and spray it? Is this legal? Has anyone done this?

LAWNGODFATHER
07-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Ready to use round up, is just that.

KenH
07-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Me, like alot of other guys I would assume buy the Super Concentrate, and mix it into a sprayer. Make sure you are liscensed of course.

Expert Lawns
07-12-2003, 10:19 PM
I know that it's legal to use roundup, everyone uses it. All i'm thinking is that it would be faster to purchase a few bottles of roundup, dump them into the sprayer and then cut my time in half. rather then having to bend over at every weed and spray it individually. I'm not licensed, so i'm thinking that this is ok. any thoughts?

kppurn
07-12-2003, 11:10 PM
You shouldn't be spraying it without a license whether or not it's from a ready to use bottle or a backpack sprayer.
If you are just doing it at home and not for hire you are fine.

Runner
07-13-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
I know that it's legal to use roundup, everyone uses it. All i'm thinking is that it would be faster to purchase a few bottles of roundup, dump them into the sprayer and then cut my time in half. rather then having to bend over at every weed and spray it individually. I'm not licensed, so i'm thinking that this is ok. any thoughts?
It is NOT legal for you to spray Round-up. Furthermore, (and I'm not getting down on you), with what you know about the product, (by your questions and posts), you probably SHOULDN'T be spraying it. There is so much more to know (than just "buying bottles of it and pouring it into a sprayer") that you should really consider doing some research and reading up on the uses, concentrates, types, and effects of pesticides. There are more MDA officials around our area than you know. You never know who they are, and you never know what they're driving, but they're out there to do a job - and believe me - THEY DO IT! All it takes is just once for them to catch you, and you will have to mow ALOT OF LAWNS to pay the fines for this. They have the right to take samples out of whatever tank, container, or bag you're working from, and in many cases like that, they do. These guys are so well trained though, that if you tell them you are spraying Roundup, they can just smell it and tell. All I'm saying is - be careful. These guys are sneaky and thorough about what they do, and they take their work VERY seriously.

Tharrell
07-16-2003, 08:01 AM
That's a silly question. Of course it can be done, but why do it? It'll cost you a lot more to do it that way even if you had a license. Get your license, it'll cost you more than you think if you get caught. It's quite irritating to know someone is doing this after I've gone through the process of being legal. Now you're going to have to post a picture of your license to be taken seriously, at least by me.

Scraper
07-16-2003, 12:57 PM
It's even more irritating that Expertlawn has been around for a year now and still doesn't understand licensing requirements. To think he calls himself an expert....:confused:

Tharrell
07-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Licensed applicators seem to be few and far between based on what I've noticed here and in the field. It's a piece of cake to get licensed in all but a couple of states. My advice to anyone not licensed, just do it. Maybe Sean could come up with a sub-group with info on each states requirements. We could help. I would rather answer a question from someone interested in getting legal.

MacLawnCo
07-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Tony, Jim (groundkeepers) has already done that. Id search for it, but i dont remember exactly how he spells his handle.

MacLawnCo
07-18-2003, 12:07 AM
tony, here it is...<a href="http://www.members.aol.com/groundkprs/pesticides/pestregs.html">Pesticide Regulation in USA</a>