PDA

View Full Version : no equipment

kcameron
09-29-2000, 11:03 PM
Just finnished up w/ 2 bad days of work. Turns out that the bolt that holds my blade on sheared in half. The bad part is that the top half is still in the shaft of the deck. Don't know how that happened... But to make matters worse, it was at the end of the day Thurs. and I couldn't make it to the good dealer in another town that afternoon (where I was working), so I decided to take it to the dealer in my town this morning. Needless to say, I needed the mower today also for a couple of mop up jobs that have been put behind b/c of the rain. And to top it off, it doesn't look like the dealer will be through w/ it untill Mon. A rock and a hard place is what I call it. Luckily, I am blessed w/ great customers that understand my situation. What to ya'll do when your main piece of equip. goes "blades up"?

LoneStarLawn
09-29-2000, 11:13 PM
Always have a working backup...we have a backup for everything.

BUSHMASTER
09-29-2000, 11:15 PM
if my walker is down i'll break out with the 36 belt drive and velki,have not had it happened yet, good rule always have a back up even if its a older model they make money also.plus invest in a number of tools drill/screw extractors
and taps you could probbly have it done way before the shop
and save that hard earned money,I am really blessed with the machnical knowloge that i have its save a ton of money.
unless you have it to spend.you could allways rent one for a day if you have to

John DiMartino
09-29-2000, 11:15 PM
I always have a spare of some type,for everyhing i run,new included.I seem to have more trouble with my new equipment than my older (proven) equipment anyway.This keeps the stress low in times of broken parts.Did you ask the dealer for a demo?I know if i need one-ill get one from my DC dealer-they are good to me.

Eric ELM
09-29-2000, 11:19 PM
That is where having a backup mower comes in handy. I've never heard of a bolt breaking like that. It must not of been a hardened bolt to do that, but I guess anything is possible. I guess the only way to get the bolt out is drill it and use an easyout to back it out of the spindle. It would have been nice if you had an extra spindle to throw on there to get you by too.

To answer your original question, we have a 430 JD sitting around not doing anything during the summer that we can put the deck on and use if needed. It's the same size cut as my Choppers, but it has one of those darn old steering wheels, which I hate since getting ZTR's.

bob
09-29-2000, 11:28 PM
I had the same thing happen on one of my Grasshoppers. The bolt just broke, without hitting anything. It must of had a stress crack. I drilled it out and used a screw extractor. It took about 10 minutes. Try to fix it yourself. Any hardware store should be able to help you. Also, when I have a small part break, I usually buy an extra one.

cos
09-30-2000, 07:47 PM
I try to buy extra everything, like tires, blades, belts, etc., but you can't buy everything. If you take your machine consistantly to the same mechanic, they usually take care of you right away. They, like any business, have an A,B, and C customers. If you take your equipment there often enough usually they will fix it on the spot. I remember that my push mower wouldn't run and the mechanic pulled it apart and fixed it right there in front of me and looked up and said "your back in business". It might have been worth it for you to take it to the mechanic that you usually take it to, he might have done the same.

osc
09-30-2000, 08:22 PM
One of my selling points to my customers is that each truck has a spare parts kit and enough tools to fix just about anything on the mowers we run without taking them to the barn. That sounds great and wins them over every time, but 'long about May, we've run through all the spare parts and my guys find ways to break stuff that only a cutting torch and welder can begin to fix.
Bottom line is you must be able to turn a wrench to have this kind of a business. I usually have atleast one backup mower for the crew to run while I fix the broken one. Always keep your men moving, don't let them fix mowers lest ye start one of those how many people does it take to screw in a light bulb jokes.

Toddppm
09-30-2000, 09:57 PM
I think i would have been out of business by last year if i couldn't fix the majority of the things that go wrong. If i had to wait for each repair on all the different equipment we have we would never get anything done. I wish i had a mechanic like some of you guys, the last thing i took in was a trimmer that wouldn't stay running, they didn't get to it for 3 weeks, the only reason i let them look at it was supposed to be under warranty, by the time they looked at it they said nothings wrong, fricken idiots, i'm pretty sure it's the module, but haven't had time to fix it yet. I'll keep trying different places , it's worth paying a premium for somone to do the job right the first time , on time.