PDA

View Full Version : Should I fertilize before sowing seed?

4 evergreen lawncare
07-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Is there any fertilizer/ soil conditioner I can put down to help the germination process?

ChickensDoo
07-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Are you seeding in July, or just trying to prepare the lawn for early fall seeding?

I would apply a high P fertilizer at the time of seeding, like
16-24-12, 10-20-10, or the like.

As far as soil conditioning, do a pH test. If it needs lime, apply it, if not, apply gypsum. Either way, you are applying calcium, which helps build strong cell walls in your seedling grass.

[I use a composted poultry manure product when seeding, it has an analysis of 4-3-2 (50% WIN) and contains 11% calcium. Works great.]

Mike Bradbury
07-13-2003, 12:36 PM
gypsum does nasty things to soil physiology. Don't use it.
We use triple 19 as starter fert, gets it mowable a couple of weeks sooner.

NCSULandscaper
07-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Ive had good luck using a regular 10-10-10 for new seeding. When i am aerating/overseeding i use 16-4-8 as a topdressing.

timturf
07-14-2003, 09:55 AM
curious as to what nasty things gypsum does to soil physiology?

Again, a complete soil test is needed, and follow recommendations! Look at base saturation give to see if in proper ratios!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!

GENERARALLY A LITTLE P AND K WHEN OVERSEEDING ARE HELPFUL EVEN IF SOIL TEST SHOWS ADEQUETE LEVELS! A little

lordohturf
07-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Fertilizer at the time of seeding will not get the seed to germinate sooner! Soil temperatures and moisture will get the germination
process started, however; having nutrient there waiting for the seedling turf will be a great benefit. A higher phosphorous and slightly elevated potassium will help! A 2-3-1 or 1-2-1 NPK ratio
would be good.

There are also some good supplemental products which will aid in seeding. Bolster has seaweed , humic acids and iron. a little goes a long way.

The main idea with seedling grass is to push roots 1st, then tops later.

Mike Bradbury
07-17-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by timturf
curious as to what nasty things gypsum does to soil physiology?

Again, a complete soil test is needed, and follow recommendations! Look at base saturation give to see if in proper ratios!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!

GENERARALLY A LITTLE P AND K WHEN OVERSEEDING ARE HELPFUL EVEN IF SOIL TEST SHOWS ADEQUETE LEVELS! A little

I think it has to do with the cationic exchange capacity, or ion transfer in general. The salt thing I think. Sorry, old info. I might be remembering advice about OUR clay soils around here. Calcium is not a problem.