PDA

View Full Version : Grubs, Fairy rings & dollar spots???

Bunton Guy
07-13-2003, 06:46 PM
What do you guys use to spray for brown patch, fairy rings, dollar spots & grubs? How is the best way to tell the difference between grubs & brown patch. I only have one yard that has major problems. There are a few brown rings (4-6) And about a dozen large patches of brown dead grass. Havent yet been able to tell the difference between brown patch, grubs & fertilizer burn. The only thing I can think of to see what caused it was the yard had been fertilized about a week before heavy rain storms....then several weeks following were full of rain and humid nights. The fertilizer was a Lesco iron 5-10-31 I think.:confused:

rvsuper
07-13-2003, 10:49 PM
I use Penstar Flo Turf Fungicide by Anderson's.

j.kelley
07-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Bunton Guy, Brown Patch can be diagnosed by the individual stems of grass. Do you have a disease chart or anything like that? That would be the first thing I would get before you spray or put down anything for grubs. Diagnose the problem before you try to fix it. Believe me, I have learned the hard way. You can diagnose grubs by just digging up a small patch around the outside of the rings. But I would definitely get a chart or book before you do anything. Try your local fertilizer dealer, they should have a chart, if not they should be able to get one for you.

Bunton Guy
07-15-2003, 07:05 PM
THanks Kelley.

lars
07-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Some symptoms of brown patch include possibly a circular patch with dead or thinned turf in the middle, sometimes creating a depression or sunken area up to several feet in diameter (obviously). Mycelium may be present in the early morning and purple smoke rings on the outer edge of the circle may be present as well. The best conditions for brown patch is a day temp above 85 and a night temp above 68 with periods of leaf wetness exceeding 10 hours. If this is on tall fescue the leaves will have light brown spots with dark brown borders. Brown patch seems quite possible as you just upped the nitogen level. Control can obtained with Daconil Ultrex, Heritage, Chipco 26GT, ProStar, Fore, Banner Maxx, and Bayleton among others. ProStar (flutolanil) is very effective, and of course a product like Fore is a good curative control.

Grubs can be easy to identify, as you can pull back the sod layer and look for them. Healthy turf can tolerate anywhere from 4 to 20 grubs per square foot, depending on the species. Identify the species if you can and go from there.

Bunton Guy
07-16-2003, 07:04 PM
WOW ! Thanks Lars...im writing th is stuff down for future reference.

j.kelley
07-18-2003, 03:23 PM
Bunton guys, I needed help this year also with brown patch. I was glad my local Lesco rep was there to help me. I know what you are going through. Wish you well.

Bunton Guy
07-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Ill be spraying Compass today.