PDA

View Full Version : summer fert, LOW or NO N?

grassguy_
07-13-2003, 10:35 PM
I know many of you are in different parts of the country so obviously there are different requirements for turf needs with cool and warm season but how many of you go without a slow release N fert and use a low N 10-20 % count? Or do you still use a slow release N, and give greater than a .5 pound of N? There definitely are exceptions and some lawns will obviously have other requirements but the general lawn that is in a normal healthy condition, what are you using? interested in your thoughts and approaches.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Slow release N. About less than a .5# and 50%slow. Usually has 4%FE in it also.

timturf
07-14-2003, 10:00 AM
agree with lawngodfather, most n for cool season turf needed in fall, only tickle turf with n in summer if needed!

10-20% n at what rate per 1000?

apply .5 to .75 actual n per 1000 with minimum of 50% win!!!!!!!!!!

grassguy_
07-17-2003, 11:12 PM
TIMTURF
I'm only apllying at a 3-4lb rate per M with a 10-15% N fert. More of a spoon feeding until fall comes. However I think having a slightly higher phosphorus count and a lower N will insure that part of that N source is slow release without having a slow release N source via sulfur coat, poly coat, nitroform, IBDU, etc.

ParksGuy
07-20-2003, 09:55 PM
:)
If you guys are mulching and fert proper in the FALL and again in the SPRING you'll be okay to use a liquid non-"N" product like ROOTS 1-2-3
www.rootsinc.com
it won't stress your turf and your roots will get "hairy".....
:cool:

turfsolutions
07-22-2003, 09:29 PM
I disagree that you shouldn't apply N in the summer. I apply at at rate of .5-/75 # per thousand with 50% slow release (MESA) once in mid July, and that lasts me til September when aeration starts. This assures available N when there is rainfall, and will keep the lawn from stress caused by lack of N. Lack of irrigation is another matter.

Last year was according to many in the biz, the worst summer in many years for the northeast. The lawns where totally brown by August. Not a spec of green as no homes could water due to restrictions. I applied as described above in July just before it got real bad. For the first 6 weeks, that N just sat there waiting for rain. We could still see the blue slow release granules 6 weeks after the application. I thought the lawns were all cooked, and would need major renovation. I was wrong. As soon as the weather broke and we got some cooler wet weather, the lawns used that nitrogen immediately, and by mid September, just a few weeks later, the lawns greened right up. If that N wasn't there before the rain finally came, the recovery would have been delayed. So I say, as long as you are getting rain in July, make that application and leave a bill.

timturf
07-24-2003, 09:29 AM
for cool season turf, I generally believe 3 lbs n per 1000 is adequate to maintain turf if clipping return!!!!!!!

Given that, apply 2/3 available n in fall, 1/6 in late winter with pre emerge and 1/6 during june or july. Actual timing varies depending on type of fertilizer! ( Quick, % slow and what type of slow release) Slow release fert have differt means of release!!!!