PDA

View Full Version : New Referrals from existing customers

MOW ED
09-30-2000, 08:09 AM
I have a lady that I mow for that has actually really helped me put more cash in my pocket by referring me to others she knows.
Her lawn really is the nicest lawn that I do as far as looks go. She has referred me for vacation mows, fertilizing and also weekly mows. She doesn't seem to want anything in return. Of course I thanked her after every referral but I am not sure if I should do more. I was thinking of a gift certificate to a restaurant or a fruit basket as she just talked me up to 2 more people on her block resulting in a new fert job and a new weekly mowing and fert account worth about a grand.

Do you folks give anything for very good referrals? Let me know.

mowerman90
09-30-2000, 08:18 AM
I get real creative and print up coupons that I call "Mow Money" in different denominations. I give these out as my way of saying thanks to referring customers. The coupons may be used for any service I provide or simply used as money to help pay the customers monthly statements. Often times these coupons have been the incentive for the customer to have me provide an added service that I don't normally provide them, adding to my profit.

bob
09-30-2000, 06:34 PM
Send her something nice at Christmas.

cos
09-30-2000, 06:56 PM
My sister used to get from her boss, tickets to a movie of her choice. They are very cheap, and very thoughtful.

stick9
09-30-2000, 07:15 PM
Hey MOW Ed,

I believe that the thank you which you already provided was enough. It doesn't sound like she wants anything else.

SticK-NinE

jrblawncare
09-30-2000, 07:39 PM
I like BOB's idea,something at X-mass ...Poinsetta?Also like the Mow Money idea.Ed, I need more clients that!

The Lawn Genie
09-30-2000, 10:29 PM
I do something kinda like the mow money deal... I send all of my new customers a letter telling them about my "refferal incentive program." For every new customer they send me, I send them a coupon for $20 off their next service. It has worked pretty well.

It seems like the coupon would be worth more to people with lower income, but I've noticed that it's all of the really rich folks who just love the coupons. That's fine with me!

BUSHMASTER
09-30-2000, 10:37 PM
I send out christmas cards to all cutomers that a have on file where thier once a year bush jibs or weekly service and regular customers get referal cards that i print on ms publisher and they hand it to their friends or what ever if their friends sing a year contract or a respective amount of work i'll deduct $25. off their bill for each new account
works real well.

KirbysLawn
10-01-2000, 12:41 AM
I have a customer who is the first to pay each month and has refered me to several people. This spring I was there installing 20 or so bales of pineneedles, when I finished he asked how much, I told him nothing. Cost me $80 plus time, but the relationship we have is better than ever.

eslawns
10-01-2000, 09:53 AM
When someone gives a referral, if they're a client already, I give them a credit on their bill for $25, as soon as the new client pays their first bill. Non-clients? Depends. Have given gift certificates to Outback and other places.

Premo Services
10-01-2000, 11:32 AM
I picked up a new cust. (my 2ndyear in bus.),they were so happy with the service she told me she was a real estate agent and wanted bus. cards to pass out, she told me also that when she sold houses she would staple cards on info to new owners. I took on 5 new cust. the same year. At xmas time I sent her a 35.00 box of harry & david fruit,she has moved but still calls me & asks for more cards. I will do this for 3 cust. this year for new cust, refferrals. This is a small price to pay for refferrals that become new customers, plus it makes them so happy, which in turn puts "mo money" in my pocket.

Mowman
10-03-2000, 07:54 AM
Ed, I always give them one free cut for every referal they send me. They seem to appreciate it and I figure one free cut is worth it. Look at what you will make off that job, I would trade $20.00 for $600.00 any day of the week.
Mowman

The Lawn Genie
10-03-2000, 12:56 PM
Mowman:

That works fine on a small yard, but when your dealing wih a bigger property, it can really cost you to give away a free sertvice. That's why I stick to the $20 coupon.