PDA

View Full Version : professional memberships

G&Plawn
07-14-2003, 01:18 AM
I posted a thread asking about Professional asociations and if there memberships are usefull or not on the new to the business board
same question any good leads on who to check out for info and memberships if they are worth it or not
thanks

walker-talker
07-14-2003, 09:00 AM
PLCAA- Professional Lawn Care Association of America
http://www.plcaa.org/about/default.asp

ALCA- Associated Landscape Contractors of America
http://www.alca.org/

PGMS- Professional Grounds Management Society
http://www.pgms.org/

All of these are well respected associations. I personally don't belong to any of these, but still considering PLCCA.

MATT

Rustic Goat
07-15-2003, 02:18 AM
Would you like credit card or account numbers too?
Believe the lack of response in all but generic type assoc. is due to want of privacy.

Bob Minney
07-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Check the PLCAA and ALCA for state chapters. Local chapters offer better networking opportunities for a small business.
As far as worth - a lot depends on what you do with it. Look at what they offer and decide if you see any value to yourself.

tiedeman
07-19-2003, 07:02 PM
PLCAA is the first that I would go with.

I am also a member of the Better Business Bureau...what a waste of money it was!!!

GLAN
07-19-2003, 08:44 PM
We are registered with

ALCA
NYSTA
NSLGA
SIMA
Cooperative Extension

Valley LC
07-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Is there a web site that shows all the associations that exist for your specific state?

Bob Minney
07-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Valley LC
Is there a web site that shows all the associations that exist for your specific state?

not by state but a good alphabetical list
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/turflinks/turforgs.html

e-mail plcaa, alca, etc. and ask for local chapters

Lombardi
07-26-2003, 12:13 PM
How many times have you been asked by potential clients about your professional memberships? Probably zero. I currently am not a member of any professional organization because of my experience in the corporate world prior to starting my own lawn/landscape business. In the corporate world I was a member of several organizations mainly due to peer pressure and being told to do so by supervisors. I quickly found out that most of the members who joined did so because of their own professional inadequacies and paranoia of being a failure. By joining they felt comfortable being with other people who shared the same problems.
If you think that joining an organization will make you more "worthy" of being selected to get more contracts, you are wrong. In this business your work ethic, professionalism, and a job well done will get you many more jobs than by having a lot of acronyms on your business cards.

GLAN
07-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Lombardi

what you say makes sense.

In this industry. At least the associations I belong to provide valuable information. They inform me of changes in the laws DOT, DEC and so on. Also these associations provide seminars where I can maintain my credits for pesticide recertification.

They also lobby in our State Capitol on our behalf.

So am I all for memberships? You bet 1,000%

LawnLad
07-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Lombardi - you're right, joining an association will not necessarily yield new business on it's own.

What joining trade associations does for "you" is keep you in the loop of what is going on it the industry. The networking opportunities are fantastic and alone worth your time and investment to get involved in a trade association.

Trade associations may give you some credibility. If a customer is comparing two bids and all things are equal but you are a member of a trade association, you might have the edge. But in real life when is this the case. We use the association logos on our brochures and flyers, but that's about it.

About 7 or 8 years ago I surveyed about 2500 residential customers via direct mail to find out about customer buying habits and what was important to them when selecting a new landscape contractor. I got about 180 to 200 back to my recollection. Professional affliation was ranked last in importance for selection criteria.

I'm in the process of doing a similar survey now for snow plowing targeted to commercial customers. I ask for selection criteria to be ranked in order of importance. Quality, size of company, price, etc. are in the top three so far. Professionalism (neat/clean appearence, professional trade affliation) ranks at the bottom as does professional certification.

My latest survey is new and I have fewer than 10 returned at this point, but the indication is similar on all of them.

Bottom line - join associations for the networking and educational opportunities.

Bob Minney
07-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by LawnLad
Lombardi - you're right, joining an association will not necessarily yield new business on it's own.

Bottom line - join associations for the networking and educational opportunities.

Exactly

Lombardi
07-27-2003, 12:30 PM
You are all correct. The networking is probably the greatest benefit. I just did not see a good ROI from joining when I was in my former occupation, but lawn/landscaping is completely different from what I used to do.

Lanelle
07-27-2003, 04:55 PM
I know I've said this here before, but again, you get benefits from association memberships if you participate and avail yourself of the services/information offered by the associations. Just sending in your dues won't 'do' much for you. But taking the certification tests, networking and learning about the latest regulations, techniques and product releases can improve your bottom line.