PDA

View Full Version : Warm season grassy & broad leaf weed control

TurfPro
07-14-2003, 07:58 AM
What chem have you found to provide good Post-EM grassy & broadleaf weed control in Bermuda/Centipede lawns?
The temps(highs) are in the 90's now,so I've had to steer away from the Trimec(as per label).
Thanks

lugnut#6
07-14-2003, 08:36 AM
im in zone 8. ive always been told to use atrazine for st augustine and centipede.not sure bout bermuda.i belive that
st augustine is susceptible to damge from 2,4-D.im not sure about centipede.

lugnut#6
07-14-2003, 10:05 AM
btw....ask RIC or TIMTURF or LGF.
they all seem to have extensive knowledge and education on the subject.

lordohturf
07-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Drive herbicide can be used with bermuda for control of grassy and many broadleaf weeds. It's recommended to apply iron or fertilizer to avoid yellowing that may happen with treatment.

As with anything, read the label closely!

greenman
07-15-2003, 12:28 AM
Atrazine can be used on Centipede and Bermuda. Bermuda may show a little sign of damage or stress, but dont worry, very hard to kill Bermuda. Image can also be used, but it is more selective on broadleaf weeds, and will not control Dallis grass.

SWD
07-15-2003, 07:32 AM
For Bermudagrass, I would use Momentum with a surfactant. MSMA works well on some annual grassy weeds like johnsongrass and crabgrass. However, do not use MSMA on Centipede or you will be replanting a yard. Sedges, like the nutgrasses, Manage works well.
A tactic I am trying this year is Dimension and Momentum as a pre/post combination.
For Centipede, stay away from the ester based formulations, Trimec/3-way/2,4-d compounds.

lugnut#6
07-15-2003, 09:04 AM
swd
yall gonna get anything from the storm?
says on the news yall need the rain.but then,i guess yall dont need all of it at once.:)

SWD
07-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Also try Drive.

Nope, no rain - Damn, I was looking for a rain out too!

TurfPro
07-16-2003, 08:03 AM
SWD & others,

Thanks for the replies. I've looked into Drive and also Plateau they seem to fit the bill. I'll be reseeding after the weeds are burnt,so i'll need to find the waiting period on these products also.