PDA

View Full Version : Grass in rocks is a pain!

LawnMowerMan2003
07-14-2003, 01:52 PM
I have a customer who has a few beds with nothing but rocks. Well, rocks and grass that keeps growing up between them, which he has asked me to get rid of. I could pull all of the grass out by hand, but this would be alot of labor and it's just going to come back. I guess I need to know if there is a chemical I can spray on it to sterilize the ground underneath the rocks, or if I have to take all the rocks out and put some kind of material under the rocks?

BRL
07-14-2003, 02:37 PM
If you have a pesticide license you can use post emergent herbicides such as Round Up to kill the existing weeds, and you can use pre emergent herbicides such as Gallery to help prevent those weeds from germinating again. If you are not licensed, find a local contractor who is and subcontract the applications to them. You can search the Pesticide Forum to find plenty of info on these products.

stxkyboy
07-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Needing a license to spray roundup has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Just go ahead and spray it.

hortboy
07-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Use round up now mixed w/ a pre-emergent weed control. I personally use surflan for pre-emergence on rock bed and mulch beds work great. Another thing, tried a new product this year "Razor" an alternative to round up- works just as good and is cheaper by the 2 1/2 gal jug. Razor is put out by riverdale.

As far as being certified, do your self a favor and sub out the work if your not a certified applicator.

MESSAGE TO ALL: if your not a certified applicator - don't let me catch you in my neighborhood. I spend alot of money maintaining my pest cert every year and have no problem dropping a quarter on a Law breaker. The law's are in place for a reason, follow them and don't take money out of my pocket.

By the book landscaper.

kickin sum grass
07-17-2003, 11:21 PM
stxkyboy,
Hope youwere kidding. It may be a pain but it is the law.
Oh wait, I see you are from my area. That must have been your round up mistakes I fixed for a new customer I just picked up

Just kidding, hope you were too. If not rethink it, and may all be well for your business in this city.

azturfpro
07-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Ditto on what hortboy said . So far this year I have helped structural pest bust 26 unlicensed applicators in Arizona . You don't got numbers on your truck , I will take your photo and turn you in . One company made up of those from mexico not even legal to be in this country had a case of fumitoxin on their truck . This is a VERY dangerous product in untrained hands .

cantoo
07-18-2003, 12:31 AM
After the weeds die out from the round up have you ever tried using a propane torch to burn the dead grass out instead of pulling it out. I'm thinking of getting one of them to try out.

brucec32
07-18-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by stxkyboy
Needing a license to spray roundup has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Just go ahead and spray it.

Until, that is, the Agriculture dept. enforcement official hands you a summons and you spend $5,000 in costs and fines. But go ahead, roll those dice if you feel lucky.

AztlanLC
07-18-2003, 06:02 PM

Giving that kind of advice sure is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in this forum.

KirbysLawn
07-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by AztlanLC
Giving that kind of advice sure is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in this forum.

Ditto.

Just have the homeowner spray it with round-up. The thing I find interesting is someone who cares for lawn does not know about round-up...

intiMOWdator
07-18-2003, 06:32 PM
There is a product called Triox sold at garden centers by Othro it sterilizes the soil for a long time . The product states it will work for about a year. Tell your customer he has to put it out and that is totally legal for the homeowner to apply with out any license. It is great for cracks in driveways too, much better than that systemic Round up or Finally. It is sold by the quart or gallon just mix with water and pour over area to kill just about anything, and will not come back as fast as those systemics. Tell your customer that it will be very expensive for someone else to do it. He'll get the picture and find a way to do it. Oh by the way it very fast if you use a plastic flowering water jug to apply to the rocks you can put a gallon out in just about 3 min. It will kill the weeds in just a day or 2. So don't try, it is too risky getting caught applying these products yourself it is not work the risk of a hefty fine. Most of my customers have not had any problems doing it themselves if they know it will save them allot of money and everyone wins.

Hometown Lawn Care
07-19-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by azturfpro
Ditto on what hortboy said . So far this year I have helped structural pest bust 26 unlicensed applicators in Arizona . You don't got numbers on your truck , I will take your photo and turn you in . One company made up of those from mexico not even legal to be in this country had a case of fumitoxin on their truck . This is a VERY dangerous product in untrained hands .

NARC, ahahaha jk

hortboy
07-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Your calling me a NARC- I'm not suprised that people make ignorant statements like this. I just assure myself they are uneducated and will pay for there ignorance down the road.

let me tell you about NY and what I have to put up w/.
* My pest cert is almost $400.00 to renew-
* I have to deal w/ a 48 hours neighbor notification law now (written document to all adjoining properties).
* Annually account for all product use.
* I even have had competitors steel flags out of the yard, cut my company name off and reuse them.

And I'm supposed to sit back and watch a competitor spray round up, w/ no placards on his truck and not even using the proper PPE(proper protective equipment). Your sadly mistaken, all the newer/ harsher rules are because -----s like you break the law.

GLAN
07-19-2003, 03:45 PM
You GO!! Hortboy

I'm with ya all the way buddy.

A few years ago I turned in several. Don't see them in business anymore.

Cause, they need insurance? get licensed? costs money?

This year my eye is on a few ;)

Runner
07-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by intiMOWdator
There is a product called Triox sold at garden centers by Othro it sterilizes the soil for a long time . The product states it will work for about a year. Tell your customer he has to put it out and that is totally legal for the homeowner to apply with out any license. It is great for cracks in driveways too, much better than that systemic Round up or Finally. It is sold by the quart or gallon just mix with water and pour over area to kill just about anything, and will not come back as fast as those systemics. Tell your customer that it will be very expensive for someone else to do it. He'll get the picture and find a way to do it. Oh by the way it very fast if you use a plastic flowering water jug to apply to the rocks you can put a gallon out in just about 3 min.

The problem with Triox, is while it is great for driveway cracks and such, wasn't it mentioned that this was a bed with rocks in it? Are there any other plants in this bed? If so, I would STRONGLY diccourage the use of Triox. The problem here, is that unlike Roundup, which deactivates when it hits the soil, Triox doesn't. It has much more leaching characteristics, and will quickly and easily find it's way to these plants if there are any. EsPECially being put down at the rate that a "flower watering jug" would put down. As far as not coming back as fast as those "systemics", Triox is a systemic, too. Main line is, -BE CAREFUL what kind of advice you're giving out to customers, it COULD end up costing them or YOU a whole bunch of money! Leave it to those who are educated in the field, I would say.

philk17088
07-20-2003, 08:35 PM

Spoken like a true scrub!

intiMOWdator
07-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Runner
I agree with you when you say Be Careful on what you say and in fact I am. If you read Lawnmowerman 2003 post he states nothing but rocks! not rock bed with trees or shrub or steep rock bed but nothing but rocks and asks if there is something that sterilizes the soil and in fact Triox is just that product. It is a product that is otc and there is some responsibility on how the person should apply this product to the environment. That is why there are instruction on the product to explain how to apply and when not to. I never said Triox is not a systemic I said those systemics, Round up and Finally. Matter of Fact Triox Contains: .70\% Glyphosate and .08\% Imazapyr which Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Round up but Imazapyr is the key to Troix for long term results when applied appropriately. Round up has many draw backs as well and I agree if there are plants near by ,real sandy ,or steep slopes Triox should not be used.
The fact about a watering Jug to apply is what is recommended by the manufacturer and is a viable way to apply. So please don't assume!I have not stated anything that is incorrect and have had much training in this field for over 20 years and I am Careful on what I recommend.

Runner
07-21-2003, 12:48 AM
...and no one said you stated anything that was incorrect. As far as the recommendation, it was someone else that needed to recommend this to their customer. Obviously, if they're asking, they should be advised.

KerryB
07-31-2003, 11:31 AM

I dont think I have ever heard anyone on LS give such irresponsible, unethical or illegal advice before.
I just dont understand some peoples thinking. Oh wait he doesnt think does he?

bob
07-31-2003, 10:02 PM

Thats like saying, "I know how to drive a car, why do I need a license"?

J&R
07-31-2003, 10:16 PM
What gets me is joeblow homeowner can buy Round UP use it with no Lic. But as a LCO I can't use it without a Lic. Now that's the stupidest law.

GLAN
07-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Yup

Hi! I work for the government. How can I help you?

BRL
08-01-2003, 12:18 AM
"Now that's the stupidest law."

This is not necessarily completely true. A homeowner can potentially screw up & damage himself & his property, & a few neighbors and their properties. However, if we screw up, we could potentially damage other employees, 100 clients properties and their neighbors. So the risk is exponentially higher for us (and by us to the general public), and we should be more educated, and part of that is being licensed (a test of general knowledge, insurance requirements etc.). IMO

J&R
08-01-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by BRL
"Now that's the stupidest law."

This is not necessarily completely true. A homeowner can potentially screw up & damage himself & his property, & a few neighbors and their properties. However, if we screw up, we could potentially damage other employees, 100 clients properties and their neighbors. So the risk is exponentially higher for us (and by us to the general public), and we should be more educated, and part of that is being licensed (a test of general knowledge, insurance requirements etc.). IMO I agree with you in part. from your quote the only person i could hurt is one of my employees because 100s of home owners using Round UP could hurt themselfs there neighbors also.