PDA

View Full Version : Rear end went out

LAWNGODFATHER
07-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Before I break into the rear end of one of my ram 2500 4x4's is there any trick to getting it out.

I am pretty sure the ring and pinion are shot.

Drive shaft spins makes a grinding noise, but truck wont move.

Next I can put it in park and can push the truck, it will move.

I put it in 4wd to move it.

Had it towed back urrrrghh.

greenman
07-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Take it to the dealership or mechanic! Write it off.

Grassmechanic
07-15-2003, 06:43 AM
LGF - Unless you've done this work before - take it to someone who has. Rear ends can be tricky to set up properly. There are issues with pinion bearing pre-load, shimming, etc.

Mike

LeoS818
07-15-2003, 07:09 AM
You might find one in a salvage yard. Just make sure you get the same gear raito.

wriken
07-15-2003, 07:36 AM
funny you brought this up, I just took my 2002 F-250 to the shop for its 35,000 mile check up. In that they rotate tires change oil etc, I told him that I pulled a trailer 80% of the time, why don't you change the rear-end fluid also, while its here, so they did, little pricey, bout 100.00, but I don't have the time to do it myself.

ProMo
07-15-2003, 07:51 AM
I thought the rear went out in my 150 last year and was going to put in 4:10 rear my neihbor was helping and couldn figure out the shims needed to line it up. It turned out to be failed wheel bearings so it went back together as it was. shouldnt be a problem if you are putting the same size back in im looking at 650 dollars to re gear mine 300 if i take it off the truck

LAWNGODFATHER
07-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Took it apart and my findings caused me to take it somewhere to redo the thing.

Pinion shot

Ring gear shot

Exiter ring shot

3 bearings shot

Carrier shot.

Trac lok shot

Guy gave me price of $1350 to clean it out and replace all this, so I took it to him. The 3 bad bearings is why the rear end went out.

For the good news, the axels and wheel bearings are still good.

landscaper3
07-16-2003, 10:15 PM
You might have saved some $$$$ buying a junk yard rear end BUT it also could have came back to bite you (always in the busiest time of the year!) (How hard was it hammered on????) I would have made the same choice you did! Is he a well known mechanic? Why I ask cause those rears will need to be shimed and had a problem years back of the guy not putting enough shims back in and wore out the pinion gear! But anyways GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!

LAWNGODFATHER
07-16-2003, 10:24 PM
I was recommended to him by 3 auto parts stores, he specializes in rear ends.

I took the pumpkin to him and he told me what gears were in it, what was bad right off the bat, what caused it, and he can start on it in the morning. He said he will slip me in cause it's a work truck.

All 3 parts store were going to send the pumpkin to him anyways.

The entire axle housing needs to be removed from the truck and flushed, I am good mechanic, but time and and what I was willing to do, I had surpassed by a long shot, so let someone do it right and it will be right the first time.

After I had to shim and dye the gears, that was enough for me, but once I had to clean the whole housing out, ouch, way passed my limitations.

I did try a few salvage yards and none had from a 3/4 ton.

greenman
07-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
he specializes in rear ends.

Sounds kinky to me.:eek: