PDA

View Full Version : moles

Dean Williams
09-30-2000, 05:55 PM
How do u get rid of ground moles,thats tearin up the lawn.

bob
09-30-2000, 06:01 PM
The moles are there for a reason. Food. Grubs earthworms. Get rid of their food source and they'll have to go somewhere else. A friend also told me to put "Juicy Fruit" gum down their holes. Moles eat it, but can't pass it through their systems. It blocks everything up.

GroundKprs
09-30-2000, 11:42 PM
See http://www.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/pdflinks/ADM-10.html

-Only way to know that you have controlled the mole is by trapping. Added benefit is ability to show client that you have accomplished something, even if one of his buddies comes back tomorrow.
-The trick to trapping moles is finding active tunnels. See second page of Purdue publication.
-To blame presence of moles on grubs is just a way to sell (possibly useless) grub control; moles can be there even when no grubs are present. Many animals, and even some human cultures, consider grubs a delicacy, when they are available. I've never tested that myself, thanks.:) Grub control to correct mole problem ranks with beetle bags for Jap beetles as biggest legends to boost sales.
-Sometimes tricky to set trap successfully in sand, but it can be done.
-There is a third type of trap "Out O'Sight Mole Trap", that is a scissor trap set underground. Have to use this one for deeper moles, and have resorted to it in some sandy situations.
-Recently introduced "Mole-Med" is a castor oil based product sprayed on lawns for mole control. Have seen reports of it being very effective, but it must be reapplied on a regular basis when moles are active near surface.

Sorry, but chewing gum story is just a story.

gr8 1
10-01-2000, 12:12 AM
GroundKps has got it right. We use traps now most of the time, but have used Mole-Med. It does need reapplied often,but gives you something to do in the rain since it has to be watered in. Don't get rid of eathworms they are nature's aerator.

morturf
10-01-2000, 11:36 PM
Getting rid of earthworms would have a very detrimental effect to the soil profile not to mention environmental concerns.

I love the Juicy Fruit thing. I really works for the store that sells the gum?!?!?!

Trapping is the only way. This year and each year for the past 30 we have trapped more than 700/year. The best trap is the victor spear trap. There have been some changes made to the trap in the last few years that make i not as effective. I have tried the others but none of them are a time efficient as the sprear trap.

After all these years of trapping that many moles in the same area of town you would think that a dent could be made in the population. NO, they are as bad as anytime in the past.

The grub thing is a falicy, almost all the lawns I care for have grub control and no grubs. They still have moles. The biggest factor I see is a relationship to it raining and how dry it is. The drier it gets the more moles I have in irrigated lawns. This is not an observation, it is fact. When we really need rain the mole problems are the most prevelent.

Catch as many as possible, they are a meanice to the lawn care industry and we are licensed by the United Nations of the world to kill all the moles. Sorry I just was thinking like Carl from Caddyshack for a minute and that was gophers. Gophers are another whole subject!!!!

Runner
10-04-2001, 02:52 AM
There is only ONE SURE WAY of actually ridding the moles. It is a chemical, a DEADLY chemical that is used called Phosphine, otherwise known as PH 3(exponent). This stuff is so deadly, it's beyond words. There are only few lawn and extermination companies that are certified and licensed to use this product. This is an inhalent, in pelletized form, that is activated by moisture. It will kill dogs, cats, and humans with no problem. This is NOTHING like the digestive type poisons that are available. This product is NOT available to public, and by NO means is sold, in any form, on the open market. There are special handling and storage instructions for this product that surpass ANY pesticide available. From what I understand, special licensing is needed to even aquire this product. To give an idea, this product comes in a sealed can, that must be stored in an AUXILARY container, and then stored in a cabinet that is designated for dry containment. There are two companies in my area, that provide this service that is entitled "mole control", that is guaranteed, and it is extremely costly. From what I understand, an app. runs about $125 for a small burrow treatment of mole damage, and around $225 for the season. I guess this is the price for real results. This is nothing like Tru Green does, as they will not even touch it. This can, which contains 100 tablets, sells for around 200 bucks. This re-enforces the cost of the apps. One pellet is placed every 30 or 40 feet of run. It would only take a few pellets to diminish a whole family of moles. Check around your area, and see if anyone else provides this service.

CCLS
03-07-2003, 08:09 PM
Does anyone have any website links of were you can purchase mole traps? Which traps do you guys use? How good do they work?

I have heard of smoke bombs or poison pellets to control the problem, can anyone comment on the success rate of these type of products?

1grnlwn
03-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Like said above the six spike is the best. Any farm store or gemplers has probably got them.

Mark

Russ
03-08-2003, 07:56 AM
http://www.themoleman.com/

Try this link

anderson lawn
03-10-2003, 09:57 PM
I know a fella who crushes glass into small pieces and dips in anti-freeze then places into burrow. Says mole crawls in it, cuts itself, then licks wounds with anti-freeze on them and bye-bye. Believe it or not??

Larry

1stclasslawns
03-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Runner I think you mean phosgene. and yes it is a deadly fumigent I have used it several years ago for terminix. I wont use it again.

Jim

IndyPropertyCare
03-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Oh Gezzz...you guys are starting to scare me :dizzy:

lordohturf
03-29-2003, 12:56 AM
New product called Kaput mole gel. Injected into tunnels.
www.scimetricsltd.com

Runner
03-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by naturalawn
Runner I think you mean phosgene. and yes it is a deadly fumigent I have used it several years ago for terminix. I wont use it again.Jim

No, it's phosphine, and I don't blame you for not using it. I'm ALSO finding there are alot more people using it, than what actually really know how. Some of these people have had alot of call backs, but only in certain cases. I'm voting on educated trapping as the best means. I'm just curious where a good source would be to find traps? Something that perhaps we could buy a bulk, say 20 or so of them.

irri-gator
03-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Not had much luck with anything other than trapping.

Best trap I have found uses two loops that go down into the tunnel then strangles the little buggers when they come back through.

Another tip that has worked wonders for me is to set the trap per the directions, then take a broom or shovel handle and jab a couple of small holes into the roof of the tunnel on each side of the trap. Moles don't like holes in their roofs so they tend to be drawn to the area of the trap a little quicker to repair the damage.

Using this method I usually catch them within 24 hours. In fact I pulled 4 of the critters out of one tunnel in one afternoon a few years back.....boy did we eat good that night!