PDA

View Full Version : Pet owners and their lawns

gilbert
07-17-2003, 01:53 AM
I've just moved into a new home and would like to know if anyone can tell me how to get dog "urine burns" out of my lawn and/or prevent future damage. :dizzy:

Green Pastures
07-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Soil test.

Follow the advice from the results of the test.

Over seed in fall.

BigDave
07-18-2003, 08:41 AM
I've just moved into a new home and would like to know if anyone can tell me how to get dog "urine burns" out of my lawn and/or prevent future damage.

I did some looking into this a while ago. The most logical advice I found on how to prevent is to carry a water spray bottle with you. After your dog urinates, spray the area with water, which should dilute the urine, minimizing the burn.

But alas, I've never went ahead and did this -- too lazy I'm afraid.

Green Pastures
07-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Handful of lime on the urine spot then water it in.

turnipgreen
07-18-2003, 02:33 PM
I have two dogs that mainly live outside. Urine hasn't bothered my grass at all as long as I keep it healthy. However, my grass is dormant in the winter, and their traffic really wears it down. I have Zoysia, and the areas that took the hardest hit have just fully recovered from the winter wear.

grassguy_
07-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Best option I've told homeowners is too keep the area watered well and especially when enviromental stress is worse (etc heat, drought, etc). Pets tend to frequent the same areas or if they're on a run line, keep those areas watered well when they aren't having to use them. also keep mower height in these areas up, a stronger root system will promote a stronger recovery.