PDA

View Full Version : High Lift or Gater Blades on Lazer Z's?

Eager Beaver
09-30-2000, 10:58 PM
To all you Lazer Z owners out there I was wondering what the ratio of gater blade users v/s stock high lift blades are and what your opinions are of each? Also has anyone tried using the double blade system that has been a topic of conversation on this forum before on the Lazer Z's and how did you install them? Were you happy with the results? Thanks in advance for any replys
Eager Beaver

Cutter1
09-30-2000, 11:43 PM
I have a laser and I have been using the double blades for about two months. They seem to work good and chop up pretty much everything in its way. I have gators on the bottom and high lifts on the top. I put them in a + formation and just removed the washer(you need the extra threads on the bolt) Put them in a + and tightened them with an air gun. They stay in the +, believe it or not!! YOu can go to Eric's site if you want a little more detail, or just type in double blades, because this topic has been talked about a lot!!

Runner
10-01-2000, 12:53 AM
Cutter1 says:

I have gators on the bottom and high lifts on the top. I put them in a + formation and just removed the washer(you need the extra threads on the bolt) Put them in a + and tightened them with an air gun. They stay in the +, believe it or not!!

This has to be about one of the most UNSAFEST practices I've ever heard of. If you're going to run double blades on a Lazer, DO NOT remove the washer- since this is so crucial in distributing presure on the blades and holding them in place. If the blade happens to move even just a litle on the bolt, the bolt and whole a s s embly could come loose and become DEADLY! To run doubles, you have to put a longer bolt in to hold the threads. It's a 5/8 X 1 1/2" 11 thread per inch is what you are looking for. And make sure it's ATLEAST a #8 hardened bolt. This also gives you 1/4" more thread up inside the spindle than the factory bolts have.

[Edited by Runner on 10-01-2000 at 04:05 AM]

Eric ELM
10-01-2000, 01:12 AM
If the Lazers have a 5/16" bolt, I wouldn't even put one blade on it. I'm hoping you meant 5/8" bolt, which is what most commercial mowers have on them.

Eager Beaver, I have used double blades for a long time and I've tried double Gators on grass and they didn't do to good, so I figure one set of Gators would be twice as bad. I only use them along with a Highlift blade for cutting grass. A Gator doesn't slow down the RPM's as much, so that is why I like them with using doubles. Double Gators on leaves works OK though.

jason2
10-01-2000, 02:37 AM
I've been running double blades on my Lazer Z all season. Tried different combos. Personally I like gators on top with Exmark mulching blads on bottom.

I use the original 5/8 bolts. Like runner said, make sure you use the washers. I haven't found it necessary for a longer bolt. You're only losing 3/8 of an inch using an additional blade. Just make sure you use a torque wrench and tighten them to what the manual says.

Charles
10-01-2000, 11:21 AM
I have found gators to be good only on leaves. Unless to use them with highlift blades. Gators just will not leave a smooth looking cut. Now the gator magnums may work. I haven't tried them. But adding lift to the gators will cut down on the rpms and cut down on the chopping effect.