PDA

View Full Version : OVERGROWN YARD CLEAN-UPS

FIREMAN
10-01-2000, 08:39 AM
I WAS REFERRED TO A CUSTOMER THAT WANTS THE REAR SECTION OF THEIR YARD CLEANED UP..OLD FALLEN TREES SMALL SAPLINGS THAT WILL NEVER BE ANYTHING BIGGER...LOTS OF POISON IVY....A QUICK LOOK TELLS ME THERE IS PROBABLY ABOUT 15-25 YARDS OF WASTE THE AREA IS ON A HILL AND IS NOT VERY EASILY ACCESSED. DO YOU GUYS PRICE THIS TYPE OF WORK BY THE SQUARE FOOT OR BY VOLUME OF MATERIAL REMOVED...OR BY MAN HOURS PLUS DISPOSAL?..ANY INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL..

lawrence stone
10-01-2000, 09:18 AM
If you can get a rental wood chipper back into the location so you can just leave the chips there would be the only way
I would bid the job.

Frankly jobs like this are best to pass up.

Don't expect to get any other work from folks who just don't care what the property looks like.

This is a one shot deal price accordingly and get 1/2 min.
and a signed contract.

eslawns
10-01-2000, 09:33 AM
I do a lot of this kind of work through a contract with our city. For brush or weed mowing, I charge by the square foot and whether it is a rough or finished cut. If I have to remove debris, I charge additionally by weight. If you take the material to a landfill, they should be able to give you a weight slip. I don't mind doing this kind of stuff, and since most guys don't want to, you can usually charge whatever you want. I don't recommend using a regular lawn mower to cut tall overgrowth. If you don't expect (or want) to do a lot of this kind of work, I'd pass on it. Also, it might be good to get your agreement in writing and collect up front.

Pauls Mowing
10-01-2000, 09:54 AM
This type of work is what we look for. There are few people in this. I charge $50.00 per hour straight through, for just myself. More help is more per hour. I mow with the DR field and brush mower, remove derbis if necessary, charging by the cubic yard and add in landfill dump charges. Any additional equipment I need to rent is added in. Customers are thrilled to see the place cleaned up, no one else will do this kind of work!!! Charge what you want. Good luck!!

KirbysLawn
10-01-2000, 10:38 AM
I agree with Stone on this one. I would also pass on it, to much regular work to do. If you have nothing else to do and want to work go ahead, just get yourself a very good price. I would also have a new set of blades figured in the price if you are mowing the unknown.

Ray

mykee
10-01-2000, 11:06 AM
Boy OH Boy
to think of all the grief I got on this site for Gutter Cleaning and cutting down one lousy tree!!!!!!!!!

Grasscape Inc
10-01-2000, 11:08 AM
I also agree with Stone on this.

bob
10-01-2000, 12:50 PM
I also agree with Stone. A lot of jobs like this are under bid. You usually don't realize this until your 3/4 done. If theres no access to the back yard just forget about it. You don't want to walk from the back yard to your trailer 200 times!

curlawngreen
10-01-2000, 04:57 PM
If you need the work:
a) Charge by the job, 20 cubic yds. $600
b) Charge by hour, $25-40 per hour
c) Sub it out to an hourly person for $7 an hour and you "help" and still charge $50 per hour.

Acute Cut
10-01-2000, 05:26 PM
I somewhat agree with curlawngreen on this one. If you aint one of the 1,000,000$$ lawn care companies then this is an easy money maker. Get in and out in no time. I would charge a 40$ PER MAN HOUR rate. 2 to 3 hours and you are done. Dont know much about poison ivy though so i might pass just because of that.

Good luck on your decision.
Acute Cut

FIREMAN
10-01-2000, 05:53 PM
THANX TO ALL FOR THE INPUT...LET ME CLARIFY ABOUT THE ACCESS, HERE IS THE DEAL..PICTURE THIS 75 FOOT DRIVEWAY TWO CARS WIDE TO REAR. WHEN I SAID ACCESS WAS A PROBLEM I MEANT FOR ANY KIND OF A MACHINE, THIS IS ALL ON A SLOPE TOO STEEP FOR ANY SAFE MACHINE ASSISTANCE. LOCAL YARD WASTE / MULCH SALES CO. WILL SEND OUT A THIRTY YARD DUMPSTER FOR $600, WILL NEED TWO BRUSHCUTTER TYPE TRIMMERS AND ONE CHAINSAW. MOST ALL OF THE OVERGROWTH IS SAPLINGS AND FALLEN TREES. I ESTIMATE THE AREA TO BE ABOUT 75 X 60 AND WILL PRICE FOR A THREE MAN CREW TAKING TWO DAYS AT 35.00 A MAN HOUR THIS WAY IF IT REALLY SUCKS I'LL BE OK AND IF NOT MAYBE I'LL CUT THE PRICE AT THE END AS THEY SAID THEY ALSO WANT AN ESTIMATE FOR A KEYSTONE WALL AND A PAVER WALKWAY. AND AS FAR AS THEM NOT TAKING CARE OF THE PROPERTY THEY JUST INHERITED THE HOME AND THE PREVIOUS OCCUPANT WAS AN ELDERLY WOMAN...SO EITHER THEY ARE FULL OF S*** OR THEY REALLY WANT TO CLEAN IT UP..SO HERE ARE THE TOTALS AS I FIGURE THEM..$600.00 FOR THE DISPOSAL AND 1680.00 FOR THE LABOR.WITH THE STIPULATION THAT IF FOR SOME REASON THE DISPOSAL DUMPSTER IS TOO SMALL THEY WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGES. ALSO THERE IS A LOCAL LABOR COMPANY THAT RENTS OUT FULLY INSURED LABORERS FOR 13.00 AN HOUR, I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THEM IN THE PAST, SO I'LL USE THEM FOR THIS ALSO.

stick9
10-01-2000, 06:08 PM
We charge by the man hour ..

STICk-ninE

eslawns
10-01-2000, 11:27 PM
$50/hr is not enough. You should get that from regular mowing. Try to get $80/hr for the tall stuff. Lots more work, and not every cutter wants to do it.

Paul's Mowing,

How do you like the DR? Which model did you get?

[Edited by eslawns on 10-02-2000 at 03:30 AM]

geogunn
10-02-2000, 08:17 AM
75 x 60 = 4500 square feet.

I've done jobs bigger than this by myself in less time than you are quoting. for the right money, I'll do 'em again (after the poison ivy frosts out).

steeper is even better. I am assuming it is downhill from overgrown area to the disposal site

if you gotta pull all that stuff up hill to dispose of it...just ignore this response!;)

GEO

lawrence stone
10-02-2000, 08:39 AM
Why can't you rent a chipper and leave the chips on the site?

Also a rental field mower is quicker that a brush cutter with a blade.

FIREMAN
10-02-2000, 10:01 PM
AS FAR AS THE FIELD MOWER IDEA THE SLOPE IS RATHER EXTREME AND AS FOR THE DISPOSAL .....THE AREA WHERE A DUMPSTER OR EVEN A CHIPPER FOR THAT MATTER WOULD BE, IS UPHILL FROM MOST OF THE WORK. AS FAR AS TIME ON THE JOB GOES..THERE ARE LOTS OF DOWNED TREES AND A GREAT MANY SAPLINGS...MOST OF THEM ARE SAY 2 INCH CALIPER LOTS OF VINES.POISON IVY AND OTHERS. THIS IS ACTUALLY NOT A FINISHED PART OF THE YARD, MORE LIKE THE BACK PORTION THAT THEY JUST WANT TO CLEAN UP.

geogunn
10-02-2000, 10:08 PM
good luck on this job.

ole GEO doesn't hardly ever pull stuff uphill!

the money would have to be awfully sweet for me to bite on this one.

GEO

Pauls Mowing
10-03-2000, 05:49 PM
ESLawns:

Love the DR.... Got the 15 HP Kaw. Great machine, plus 46" mower deck available, will work good for my application. Have mowed 1" thick brush with it, 6' tall. it works like they claim. I don't like the wheel drive clutch, have to hold it all the time. May revamp that. Have pics if like to see them.

Paul

Central Island Lawn
03-07-2009, 02:01 PM
That's a good one. I would tell the customer that you are going to charge this job hourly, give them a ballpark quote for labour and disposal like you have, but make certain that they understand that if there are any hickups, anything that makes the job take longer, tell them it's going to cost them this much more and why. It might be a good idea to get this all in writing with a signature, I can't say enough about covering your ass when it comes to collecting the money. There just might be a maple stump buried under there, getting that out by hand will be a fair bit tricky. No doubt you'll want to get paid for it.

NewLeaf
03-07-2009, 03:40 PM
$50-60hr ,5 hr minimum + disposal fee. get 1/2 down & a signed contract, did one of these last season & got screwed for $585.00 on a small reclamation of land about 1/2 acre. + there were no saplings or poison ivy. Customer never paid, & I could do nothing about it due to no signed contract. CYA

david shumaker
03-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I like cleanup jobs if they pay well. I usually give a flat price based on how long I think it will take. I price on the high side in case of any surprises. I don't really look for cleanups anymore because many of the people who need the work done can't afford to pay for it. They are usually looking for someone to work all day for minimum wage or food. There are exceptions, but it's not worth giving 20 estimates for 1 job.

Hauling alot of yard waste and trash in a trailer sucks too, so I figure in cost of a dumpster. I've got a Vermeer Brush Chipper, but some people want you to chip a huge pile for half the cost of running the chipper.

Make sure you look at everything long and hard before giving a flat price.

sunray
03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
60x75 would be an easy 2000 dollars for a day and a half of hard work by hand.
Weed eater, axes ,old hedge trimmer, good chain saw, rakes ,shovels ,tarps, work gloves and an old push mower.
Get the dumpster delivered walk up to the gate with a couple of guys and get after it, don't think about how big it is or how much there is just go at it like a machine.
one man chain sawing into pieces that can be carried one man chopping the small stuff at the roots with the axes and the other guy moving the waste out to the dumpster.
Have plenty of water on hand, some good sugary snacks , buy their lunch and keep telling them how good there doing those guys will work their butts off for you.
I do this all the time, it's good money and looks great when your finished,people are always smiling when we leave.
That dumpster seems high but then in Georgia it would only be 200 dollars, that covers everything.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
03-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Man they are some lazy LCO on here !!!!!!
It sounds to me if you can sit on your you know what you pass.
I love jobs like this the money is good and it separates the boys from the men !!

Runner
03-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Gee,...this thread is only 8 1/2 years old! Maybe it needs cleaned up again!:dizzy::laugh:

shovelracer
03-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Well said. No one wants to do these jobs, but then they complain that their mowing market is saturated with scabs. These are the best kind of jobs. Yes they are harder, but you can charge more and have less of a chance of getting priced out. I would rather pick up sticks for $80+/ per guy / hr than argue about $5 on a mowing job that is underpriced anyways.

evertonyardcare
03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
ah ah pass it on yep!

jwalker17
03-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree 100% with shovel racer. If you can hire 2 grunts at $12.00/hr and charge $80.00/hr each your laughing.

hummingbird3d
03-14-2009, 06:26 PM
LOTS OF POISON IVY....

Having this on you will set you back for awhile and make sure you "take care of mother nature" while on the job or you'll be itchin' EVERYWHERE!

It may not be worth doing

jsw2008
03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
I always seem to find a least one yellow jacket or hornet's nest when I do jobs like this. And I usually find it the hard way. But I agree with shovel racer on jobs like this, great money and I'll take them any day of the week.

jg244888
03-14-2009, 11:03 PM
talk about bringing a post back from the dead!!!!!!!!!!

jsw2008
03-14-2009, 11:20 PM
No joke. I didn't read back to see that it was from 2000. How did anybody even find it?

jwalker17
03-15-2009, 12:13 PM
lol no idea