PDA

View Full Version : TUBULAR STEEL vs ANGLE IRON

SUGAR_CUT_MARK
07-21-2003, 07:42 PM
i'm looking to purchase a 12ftx6ft open utility/landscape trailer. i have heard that the tubular steel is not good because moisture gets trapped inside the tubes and causes it to rust quicker. but on the upside i hear the tubular steel is stronger.
i hear the angle iron is not as strong and also is less expensive.

can i get some feed back from u guys that have owned either/or both? Pros/Cons?? and also do any of u know of any good open trailer brands? (i live in michigan) i found one on ebay by taylor trailers that looks pretty good and the price is pretty good, but the only drawback is they're in missouri.

KDJ
07-21-2003, 08:01 PM
I prefer tubular steel. As far as rust goes I don't care. I can buy a 6.5 x 16' trailer for 1200.00 and get five years out of it. That come to six and a half cents a day. At that cost I can and do throw them away.

pottstim
07-21-2003, 11:03 PM
I bought my 6.6x10 about 5 weeks ago, and it has the welded tubular steel frame. It was made by a local trailer manufacturer. The trailer seemed better built than all the others I had looked at in the same price class and size. It cost me $750. Before I bought this one, I used a borrowed trailer that belongs to a friend of mine. Its frame was the traditional angle-iron type, and it really flexed a lot. My new trailer has very little flex to it and seems much more stable going down the road. I can see how water can get trapped inside the tube frames, but it really doesn't worry me. The trailer builder sprayed lots of paint up in there, so I really can't see any bare metal. I plan on keeping a good watch on it being as it sits outside. Good luck to you.

Tharrell
07-22-2003, 07:53 AM
There's nothing wrong with an angle iron trailer IF it's supported right AND it has a channel tongue. 5" channel frame and tongue, angle iron supports. Go to www.teshandsons.com for some examples. They do make tube trailers also, but their use of 5" channel makes for a very stable platform.