PDA

View Full Version : trade up already?

Smitty58
07-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Ok heres the deal. I bought a 36" wb Emxark gear drive 4 months ago thinking I'd start a lawn service. Well it appears this could actually work. I've went from 0-6 accounts without even trying. The problem is now I'm thinking after reading all the posts I could be more effecient with a hydro 48". Should I upgrade already? I stopped at the Exmark dealer to check out a hydro ,and the TTHP 48" is awesome. I can trade up for another $2850 out the door. What do you think? So far my accounts are 7-15k yards ,but with a 48" hydro could I do more?

Rustic Goat
07-22-2003, 05:24 AM
You really don't have the volume yet to move to a bigger more costly machine do you?
Sounds like you just have the 'wants'.
Why not wait until you have a quantity of customers that makes a bigger machine a NECESSITY! In the mean time, shop around, do a lot of mower browsing, might even happen on a deal. Might even decide to go with some other machine.
Make your business pay its own way instead of digging itself a deeper investment hole.

Then again, if you've got deep pockets and money getting impatient waiting to be spent, go buy yourself a new toy.

goodbeus
07-22-2003, 06:25 AM
Kinda hard to get the 48" through a gate that only a 36" will fit through...keep the 36" and later on get a ztr, it will increase productivity more than a 48" wb anyway...and you'll prolly still need the 36"...

John Gamba
07-22-2003, 07:24 AM
WAIT!! Then Get A 48 Or 52 Lazer HP.

tiedeman
07-23-2003, 03:42 AM
I would personally wait..like stated above, sounds like you just have the wants, not the needs going on right now. After a while you will learn to control the wants, especially when you put together a cash flow and watch that

Smitty58
07-23-2003, 05:19 PM
OK, I know yau are all right. I'm going to wait. Since I only do this part time I guess it would make more sense to wait until I really need a bigger mower. However the TTHP is a sweet mower. I can see how I could cut a lot faster with a hydro. Oh well I guess the "wants" will have to remain just that.