PDA

View Full Version : what aerater do you all like

scottlawns
10-01-2000, 04:08 PM
what do you all think ....if you were going to spend around 2,000 what aerater would you buy,and do you know who sells classen in MN,i live near turfco....but i never see anyone use them,there price seems ok.

thankyou

Eric ELM
10-01-2000, 04:23 PM
Lesco aerators are Classen built in case you have one around you. I think they are built in Nebraska, so you might have a Classen dealer some place in Mn.

I just went to their website, but they don't have a dealer locator on it. They do have a toll free number and you can even talk to Larry Classen himself or email them for a dealer list in your area. http://www.classen-mfg.com/products.html

[Edited by Eric ELM on 10-01-2000 at 08:29 PM]

jaclawn
10-01-2000, 05:18 PM
If you can do it, go for the oull behind. I have some areas that I cannot get the pull behind in, and some hills. I own the Lesco pull behind, as well as a Ryan LA 4. The Ryan is only used for trimming, and hills.

I bought the Ryan first, then the Lesco. My thinking was that I could do everything with the Ryan, only it would take longer. It was correct. I could not do everything with the pull behind.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the pull behind, and rent a walk unit for a day and do those tight areas that the large one can't get. I would look for a nice used walk behind just for trimming.

The pull behind will be twice as productive, and you will not be tired.

Runner
10-01-2000, 06:49 PM
Depending on how much trimming you have, Home Depot sells a neat thing that has two tubes at the bottom of a T handle, and you push down and step on the crossbar. If you keep one foot on, you can "walk" with it and do your tight ares. I made my own, but the one they sell is priced right.

KirbysLawn
10-01-2000, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by scottlawns
what do you all think ....if you were going to spend around 2,000 what aerater would you buy

I would spend an extra $1000 and buy the Classen! My wife used my new Classen yesterday with very little difficulty. My payments are $135.00 for 24 months.

Ray

Eric ELM
10-01-2000, 07:16 PM
If you have something to tow it with, the 42" Classen is around $1250 and the 60" is around $1750.

scottlawns
10-01-2000, 07:32 PM
i will check out the classen...i really dont think i can get a pull behind cause i only have greatdane surfers.

thankyou for the advise

KirbysLawn
10-01-2000, 07:53 PM
Scott, you can use the pull behind with the Surfer. I guy in our local association has on with the Lesco pull behind. He says it works great, I haven't seen the results.

bob
10-01-2000, 08:18 PM
Scott, I just got a Lesco 42" tow behind(same as Eric's). Its the only way to go! I'll never be beaten up by a walk-behind aerator again! I use a Gator to tow it.

UrbanEarth
10-03-2000, 12:10 AM
If you can spend the extra $$$, I would go for the Ryan LA28. I bought one several years ago, and it is great. You can turn while aerating, it is way faster than an LA4 (which I have as well), and I have pulled plugs that have been 4" of solid thatch (the LA4 wouldn't even touch it). It does a great job, tons of cores. I usually get jobs from the neighbors when they see how good a job it does.

Drawbacks are it is pricey (but you should be able to charge more as well), and hills are a bit tricky sometimes.

Alan

ant
10-03-2000, 05:47 AM
alan: i am thinking about up grading, i have a toro lawn air
and a lesco 26 .realy like the split reel on the new classen but its $3000. what do you think a ryan la28 runs {$}.
lot of ware parts?

anthony

UrbanEarth
10-03-2000, 11:08 AM
The LA28 runs about $7500.00CAN (So about $100.00US LOL). If you abuse it, it can be a pain for parts. Because of how it works it is really bad if you decide to do something stupid like aerate a sidewalk! (I have seen the competitions machine after the fact!) They are well built overall, and I think they run a 7hp Kawasaki.
I really can't say enough about the machine. I spend more time loading and unloading than aerating, the machine is so fast! One of my competitors runs about 25 of them in the spring. Big bucks.

Alan

Poplen
10-03-2000, 11:12 AM
Kirby, can you give me the details on that Surfer tow behind? I'm in your neck of the woods and would like to hear more.

KirbysLawn
10-03-2000, 10:37 PM
Poplin, come to the next CGMA meeting next Tuesday at 7:30 and you can talk to Darrel. Give me a call for info: 634-7390

http://www.thecgma.com