PDA

View Full Version : Problem solved d

pace lawn care
10-01-2000, 06:11 PM
Well, for now anyway. I stated earlier that my Husvarnar threw grass and trash out in front so bad, even into my face. Took a piece of brush that goes on an overhead door, atached it to the front of the deck and hardly any grass comes out now. Man is my wife proud. Brush doesn't affect the cut because it is so soft. Very effective.

BRL
10-02-2000, 10:43 AM
A mower deck that is throwing clippings out front has a negative pitch. This means the front of the deck is set higher than the rear of the deck. The decks are designed to have maximum efficiency (good vacuum, proper dispersal of clippings, etc.) when there is a slight positive pitch, meaning the front of the deck is slightly lower than the rear. You can usually adjust mower decks with the front casters & in the rear where it mounts to frame of mower to get proper pitch. (Not sure how floating deck would work because I don't have any)

Richard Martin
10-02-2000, 08:37 PM
BRL wrote:

{A mower deck that is throwing clippings out front has a negative pitch. This means the front of the deck is set higher than the rear of the deck. The decks are designed to have maximum efficiency (good vacuum, proper dispersal of clippings, etc.) when there is a slight positive pitch, meaning the front of the deck is slightly lower than the rear. }

This is not always the case. Both of my mowers, an Exmark 36 and a GRAVEly 50, throw debris out the front of the deck. Both of these mowers have positive pitch. The problem with the GRAVELY is although most of the deck is 5" deep GRAVEly raises the front of the deck so it is only 3 and 3/4 inches deep so the grass will not be bent over as much before getting cut. The Exmark only throws debris when the grass gets thin and is probably normal for any deck.

John DiMartino
10-02-2000, 09:58 PM
My Dixie chopper has a positive pitch of 3/8 as measured at blade tips,it still throws grass out the front like no tomorrow.I think it is a front disharge mower sometimes,especially in a headwind,it can get bad.I am fabricating a baffle out of a mudflap to help with it,I used an old T-shirt for a while,but it didnt hold up well

pace lawn care
10-02-2000, 10:25 PM
John

Might want to give the brush a try, it works very well. Not sure how long it's going to hold up. Been 3 weeks and no wear so far.