msb1766
07-22-2003, 03:28 PM
How do I get rid of moles?

John Gamba
07-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Sweenys POISON PEANUTS, Kills Moles And Gophers

Catcher
07-24-2003, 08:04 AM
I tried every product on the shelf - nothing seemed to work.
The only reportable success was with a 'choker' trap.

redbull
07-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Sweenys POISON PEANUTS, Kills Moles And Gophers

i didn't think you could still buy these

John Gamba
07-24-2003, 03:48 PM
4.49 This Past Spring.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
07-26-2003, 09:31 PM
I think if you get rid of the grubs you will get rid of most of the moles.If they have nothing to eat they will venture else where.I could be wrong though???

hustler1
09-24-2003, 10:39 PM
I've tried the "smoke bombs", water flooding, the poison peanuts, the mole "poison gel" stuff and have been putting a 5000 sq ft bag of grub killer on a 1000 sq foot area every 5 weeks now since April....no luck....the little suckers are still making more tunnels. They are small...tunnels only about 1 3/4 inch diameter. Theres no way they're eating grubs. I have a spear type trap I've been using for a week that has gone off a couple times with no deaths though. I'm seriously considering using electricity...would it kill them? If not I'm just about to go with the Caddyshack method of using propane and a fuse....I've had it with these damn things.....I'm in Michigan about 15 Miles north of Detroit

GreenQuest Lawn
09-24-2003, 11:48 PM
If you are getting "hits" with your spear trap that is a good thing. Make sure the tunnels are very close to the surface as well, I always stick my finger down through the sod to see how deep the tunnel is. Next make sure you collapse the tunnel where you will place the trap. When you stick the trap in the ground make sure to run the spikes up and down a few times to ream out holes. this will make them snap down faster. Sometimes I have even had to push the spikes down to get them to go all the way.

I have had moles set off a spike trap 3-4 times before I got them. If the tunnels are over 2-3" down the spike traps may not work.

Look for a tunnel that seems to go somewhere, the ones that look like random tunneling are feeding tunnels and moles may or may not go back to them. If you see a long straight tunnel thats the one to go after. Also traps are cheap, buy a few more. Its Lot cheaper than all the money you spent on bait,poison,etc. If I get a tunnel that I am not SURE is a good one I will set 2-3 traps around to make sure I get the sucker.

Check out this site for help
http://www.themoleman.com/

Here is a good site to buy traps.
http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp

mower_medic
10-16-2003, 08:54 PM
All reports I'm hearing from the pro's is that Kaput mole bait gel is the thing that is working best for them. That's just what I've heard.

ffemt1271
10-21-2003, 03:04 PM
i saw a deal in this issue of TURF that injacts a certain amount of oxygen and propane into the tunned and has a spark mechanism on it and produces what they call a "controlled explosion" inside the tunnels

i'll post the name and site to it when i get home tomorrow

regularguy
10-27-2003, 09:44 PM
I have caught 15 moles this summer with the mole eliminator. www.themoletrap.com
I bought the traps from this place and they are real easy to set and dispose of the mole, an added benefit is that you get to see what you caught

Runner
10-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Wow. Now that looks like it would be rather effective. I have a few harpoon type traps, and they work ok. The main thing is knowing the behaviors of the moles, like when they move, and knowing what to look for, as in what runs to use. I'll tell you one thing, though. The newer harpoon (spike) type traps are nothing like the older ones, though. For instance the Victors; the newer ones are MUCH shorter than the older ones, barely putting the spikes down far enough to even have an effect.

Relly
11-01-2003, 12:46 PM
I like the spear traps as well. I have heard good things about Kaput from Scimetrics, but yet to try it myself.

As far as grubs....they do not feed mainly on grubs. A mole digs a tunnel and monitors it for insects. The insects that fall into the tunnels are those that move through the soil. Grubs are relatively staionary as they sit there and feed on the roots. If a grub digs a tunnel and comes across a grub, they'll certainly eat it. If a grub falls into the tunnel, they'll eat it. But generally speaking grubs do not move excessively through the soil profile like other insects and earthworms. Moles DO NOT equal grubs.

rkk95
11-04-2003, 09:13 PM
look at this site www.themoleman.com

Daveffemt
12-16-2003, 11:57 AM
The mole trap I use is a (Victor) the out o'sight mole trap.go to www.mole trapper.com I know kinda late info, I hope this helps.

broken leg
01-04-2004, 05:48 PM
You can trap, smoke, flood, and posin If you do not get rid of the food they will keep comeing back. No food no moles or voles. The same thing works for snakes.

Bryn
01-23-2004, 12:33 AM
I work in Pest Control/Wood Destroying, and am often asked about moles. Everything I have read, leads me to believe, very little other than trapping will work. Many manufacturers of mice and rat bait will tell us that they will have a mole bait coming out soon, but this never seems to happen. Remember that Pest Control works on a triangle. You have food water and habitat. Remove one of these requirements, and the problem should resolve.

I have had people tell me that killing the grubs help, that chewing gum works, gas in a tunnel, and many more. Also those wind mills are supposed to drive the mole nuts from vibration. While I'm thinking of it, gas down a fire ant mound does not work most of the time, it just stresses the colony which buds and produces more mounds in practice.

Be careful what you place in the ground, or on top for that matter when trying to remove these moles. Read all the labels to any over the counter chemicals you may use. Be careful if you use bait that you do not kill other non target animals.

Best Regards

Bryn

askarvelis
01-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Sometimes I have thought I had moles and they wind up being rats and mice. I never thought they would use a tunnel but they do. Try treating for that.

Tvov
01-26-2004, 07:45 PM
This thread has been around a bit!

I always tell customers that moles are an organic way to get rid of grubs and insects.;)

Coffeecraver
02-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Is it Moles or is it Voles

Moles = meat eaters x grubs

Voles = Vegative eaters x roots

Be sure to control the right one

Hawkeye5
02-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Traps are the most reliable. You just have to make sure you set them on primary runways. Primary runways are usually fairly straight, around the perimeter of a yard, along a man-made obstacle, or connect mounds. Harpoon, leg-hold and squeeze types all work. The wives-tale solutions like gum, moth balls, etc. really don't work. Bait might kill a few, but baits don't represent the mole's diet and may be harmful to non-target mammals. The electronic devices that are on the market are totally bogus. Killing grubs sounds like a solution, unfortunately any pesticide used to kill the grubs normally will not penetrate to the moles foraging depth. The pesticide has to penetrate the thatch and the soil. In addition, grubs make up only part of the mole diet. They also feed on worms and other invertebrates in the soil. Even if you could kill all the forage, the moles will not move far and may re-invade while looking for food or mates. Trap 'em, or borrow my English Springer. She loves to hunt moles!

Stewart
02-19-2004, 10:14 AM
My Springer could care less. Our Basset just digs holes and then gets yelled at for tearing up the yard!

Is there one type of trap that appears to work the best?
Or are they all about the same, just keep setting them????

Hawkeye5
02-19-2004, 01:27 PM
The Victor Out O Sight is a trap that is used by many mole trappers, care is needed when setting the trap however. The Victor spear or harpoon traps are generally used also, but they have recently changed the design and most seen to feel the older model was better.

GroundKprs
02-19-2004, 08:30 PM
To get real info on moles, go to ADM-10 in pdf (http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.pdf) or ADM-10 in html (http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.htm).

More info at Prevention & Control of Wildlife Damage (http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/). Moles treated here under "Other mammals." World of info on this website on all types of wildlife. This whole manual is in pdf.

Actual researchers guidelines are a lot more help than a bunch of personal ideas.