PDA

View Full Version : Taking The Bait..........

ANDERSON
07-23-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm new at this as well. About two months ago I went out and purchased everything needed to get this going for me. I've been trying everything I think, flyers, word of mouth and knocking on doors. I don't want to kill the market rate, nor under cut competition. So what perks or bait has worked for you? I know its late in the season, but I would like to grab a few.

Sean Adams
07-24-2003, 08:54 AM
A good way to get started is with family and friends. Do a great job, and word of mouth will kick in. Also, try to work yourself into high profile areas where a lot of passerbys will see your work.

Being affordable does not necessarily mean lowballing. If you can cover your expense, overhead, etc... and make a decent profit, don't be afraid to name your price.

Flyers are a good inexpensive way to get going, as well as small local newspaper ads.

lugnut#6
07-24-2003, 11:44 AM
i know how ya feel anderson...im in the same boat...boy,my wife is getting upset about it.:rolleyes:

G&Plawn
07-24-2003, 05:20 PM
hey check out my bonus program and see whta you thik it may help if yo got any accounts that this may work with.

tiedeman
07-25-2003, 08:57 PM
offer referral bonuses to employees and referral discounts to current customers

Lombardi
07-26-2003, 11:36 AM
It is going to be very slow for you starting out this time of year. I started at the same time a few years ago and was getting discouraged. But, I hung on and now I actually turn down mowing jobs because I am too busy. If you are really serious about being successful, plan on using a lot of your savings, retirement, etc. to survive the first year or so. If you are professional and ethical, the jobs will then be rolling in on their own. Good luck.

DUSTYCEDAR
07-29-2003, 05:18 PM
try sponsoring a little league team or softball or any thing that you can get you're name on the shirts or a field sign, donate a service or a church bulletin use you're imagination and talk to everyone i am promoting my lawn fertilizing services by handing out free t-shirts to any one who will where it i also give free lawn care services to my local lawn mower repair shop and he is my best salesman i have a few clients that get me more work than my adds they get free applications. :D

Green in Idaho
07-30-2003, 11:30 AM
This late in the season I would redirect to the current need in your area.

For example in my area it is sprinkler maintenance, and adjustments. We just had a nice wind storm come through last week, clean-up would've been nice for roping some new accounts.

In another area it might be disease control or insect control.

Contact some other contractors that are big operators, maybe they are behind on work load and would be willing to spin off a few accounts to you, or sub them to you.

Contact your local lawn mower repair shop. Local shops were are 4-5 weeks out for service, that means a homeowner will have to have someone do their lawn for 4 weeks. Maybe offer the shop $10 for every referral. If the satisfied customer returns to p/u the mower and tell shop that you did great work, that shop will be a gold mine for you!