PDA

View Full Version : anti scalping tips???

Vibe Ray
10-02-2000, 01:11 PM
what are your tips on avoiding scalping lawns(with all kinds of mowers)??? Do floating decks really wipe out scalping or do u still have to be careful???

Cutter1
10-02-2000, 02:17 PM
I don't think floating decks wipe out scalping completely, but they do help. It depends on what you have the scalp wheels set and what height you are cutting on. Don't get me wrong, there is a big difference between floating and fixed decks!! I wouldn't drive through a yard thinking that its not going to scalp anyhting, because it does, it just depends on the terrain and how you handle it. Takes practice and knowing what your machine can and can not do, that is the best way to avoid scalping. Overall, the floating decks are a lot better than the fixed decks!!

MIDSOUTH
10-02-2000, 03:24 PM
i have a 61" turf tiger and when i go over rough place or there is a hole in the yard-i will take my foot and apply slight pressure on the deck lift pedal.the deck floats but they are so heavy you have to help them out sometimes,doing this i can mow a bumpy yard without scalping it the majority of the time.

LazerZ101
10-02-2000, 03:26 PM
Ditto what MIDSOUTH said...

jaybee
10-02-2000, 04:21 PM
Better to cut a little high the first time on the lawn. Learn where your bad spots might be.

John DiMartino
10-02-2000, 09:39 PM
If possible-keep a tire on the highest part of the hump that is scalp prone-most decks scalp the easiest in the center and the edges.With a tire on the hump it is more likely to get by without digging in.

bob
10-02-2000, 09:43 PM
This is something that I tell all my helpers; if theres a hill and a flat area, cut one or the other . You can't cut both of them at the same time. But most of them will still try to cut both!