PDA

View Full Version : customer haggling????

MIDSOUTH
10-02-2000, 03:18 PM
it makes me so angry when i go into the upper class portion of town and the people try to haggle you down,but when you are in the middle to lower class part of town,people take your estimate and do not try to haggle you down,do any of you notice this.what is your minumun charge to drop the gate-mine is 35.00 no matter how small the yard is-i do have 3 or 4 25.00 yards and a couple of 30 dollar yards,but that is because i took them on when i first started and needed the work,i think i am going to keep these at these rates because they are good customers and most are side by side-so you kill two birds with one stone.is this a good idea or would you all bump them up to 35.00?

LazerZ101
10-02-2000, 03:35 PM
It appears to me that if your work speaks for itself, they shouldent mind the increase so much. Just make sure you do a killer job so they know they are getting what they pay for.

Scott

mdb landscaping
10-02-2000, 04:37 PM
i also have encountered the upscale lawns owners to haggle you down quite a bit. the lowest i go is 30.00, but im going to bump it up a little this spring. as for the old customers at 25.oo. i would keep them at this rate. i too have a few at 25 because i first started out with them. its worth it so they will pass your name along and as long as they enjoy the work, you will keep getting calls from people your customer referred to you.

mowerman90
10-02-2000, 05:13 PM
Money talks, B.S. walks,!!! What makes them feel they deserve any more of a break than the next guy. I run into this all the time. The middle to lower class neighborhood account always pays on or before the due date too. The upper crust types are always the ones that are late or just before the late payment date kicks in.

65hoss
10-02-2000, 05:48 PM
Be very careful about raising their prices. They will always be a good reference and can really help if you are trying to get a client that wants to know if you are reliable long term. The ones with you for 1 yr can't compare with the customers that can say your great for 5 yrs.

Charles
10-02-2000, 06:57 PM
I go up a little bit on ALL my customers every year. Most of them expect you to raise you prices to keep up with inflation. You have to use a good bit of salesmanship when you own a biz. The chicken way out is to keep the prices the same for long term customers. You are making less money each year when you do that. That is a fact jack. I try to make my mininum for new jobs higher each year also. hey a local store raised my beer prices on a case 3$ in one year. So I got to keep up :)

Getmow
10-02-2000, 07:18 PM
Like most of you I still have some of the 25 to 30 dollar yards. Their price is the same as it was 11 years ago!!! These are a select few that I KNOW iam am still making a little money on and it is good for the little old ladies. Unfortunately they are all slowing fading...no more pound cakes, coffee or other treats, worst of all no more of the great relationships or unrequested history lessons. They all are missed.

As for the uppercrust...They will either pay a fair price or they can take advantage of someone else. I am sorry to say that the "new" little old ladies have to pay a fair price too.

Lazer
10-02-2000, 10:19 PM
They didn't get to live in the elite neighborhoods by giving all their money away.

leeslawncare
10-03-2000, 05:44 PM
I know what you mean about the rich being cheap.whats bad is when the ol blue hair ladies on a fixed income don't mind paying for good work an the stock broker tries to squeeze every dime!!!I got a couple 25$'s but they are either long time clients family or friends w/small lawns .What kinda price do most of you guys go up every year???I'am gonna raisemost of mine this year,skipped last year. my contracts i go up 10% but what would be a good one for residentals?Looking for some opinions.

jaclawn
10-04-2000, 06:48 AM
Many, Many years ago, I quoted a woman $25. She told me that she could only go for $24.

Twotoros
10-04-2000, 07:34 PM
I had a guy ask me why they always try to gouge the people " up on the hill" . I told him my prices were the same down on the flats. That is the mentality of the beast . The rich get richer is how the saying goes.
Myself I went for the high bid on replumbing my house a few years back because I want good quality work done . The bids were 1500. , 1200. , and 600.
I knew no one could possibly do it for 6 bills.

scottb
10-04-2000, 09:09 PM
Not to cause a riff but Im sure most of us haggle when we spend our money be it on mowers, blowers, trucks, or services. Its just part of life,we dont like it but it does make a person feel good if he thinks he got a good deal.And if they complain about the prices you dont need them anyway.

MOW ED
10-05-2000, 07:05 AM
You are describing a unique trait of human nature scottb. It is true that we haggle a little over the price of a mower but you know what you are getting. You have a piece of equipment that you can touch, rub, jump on ect. You know that Dixie is worth xxx and it will make you xxxxx. You have some value for the price.

When people are haggling price on a lawn service, the old adage of you get what you pay for isn't always true so they are going to be tougher to get the cash out until you sell them on your service. The customer may have had poor service in the past. Some people are just cheap. The only solution to this is to recommend options other than you. Good Luck.

Bobby
10-05-2000, 07:43 AM
The moment a new prospect begins to play the game,after I have offered my price, I recommend they keep searching elsewhere. No backing down.
Most of the time, they will think they gotta have you if they sence your not another drone lawnman.(like all the rest).

Lawnworks
10-05-2000, 07:57 AM
I really hate haggling. I am going to try to stay away from it unless it is on a really big job. I have a doctor that always tries to get it for less. Like he does not have the money. They tricked me into it last time by saying, "Your a business man", and then trying to get a lower price. Next time, I am standing by my estimate and if they do not like it I will walk and let my competition deal w/ it.

gusbuster
10-05-2000, 08:44 AM
I've been blessed to be able to say this, this year. Take my price or walk. When somebody comes to me:
it's by referal
my work
my price
communication ability
I do awesome work at a fair price. Want cheaper service, go hire somebody else. I know the reasons why they are calling me.:D
John

Bobby
10-05-2000, 06:59 PM
Exactly ,Gusbuster!!!

Mark_Christopher
10-08-2000, 10:29 PM
No Haggling... No Nickel and Diming me.. end of story.

When I was starting out and someone said my price was kind of high, id come down (only because i needed the work) to pay the bills.

Now, most all of my work is by referrals or people that live in the neighborhood and see my work. When they approach me about giving them a maintenance estimate I already know I have them in the palm of my hand. I'll either do a on-site estimate when me and my employees are finished, or if it is a referral call Ill set up sometime during that week or weekend to meet with them. Iam always ON-TIME when meeting for the estimate. I proceed to go over their entire landscape with them, finding there likes and dislikes of their property and what we can do together to beautify it. If they proceed to haggle me about the price i give for service, I tell them "I have set prices, and this is what I charge everyone in the industry" IF they still proceed to haggle, I tell them "they should get different estimates" from other Landscape maintenance companys. END OF STORY.. thats it.. plain and simple... That way i stand firm on my price and i look like a true professional.
Here's a little something i told one of my Doctor clients. He proceeded to ask me to come down on pricing for a "ADDITIONAL SERVICES" quote i quoted him. I asked him "if i broke my arm and i had him as my doctor and he quoted me $600.00 bucks, could he do it for $500?" Funny thing is, he laughed and chuckled, I got the job "AT MY QUOTED PRICE" and he never haggled me again for my services. AND he still have me do additional services here and there.
If you allow yourself to haggle around with people, they will always try and haggle with your prices. So everyone, we're in this business for one reason... what is it? TO MAKE MONEY! and of course we love what we do. So.. don't haggle with people, its unprofessional.

my two cents...

MARK

[Edited by Mark_Christopher on 10-09-2000 at 02:33 AM]

Likestomow
10-08-2000, 11:55 PM
Haggling is GOOD if you can use it to your advantage.

When bidding a new job I always figure out the price I'd be satisfied with and then quote $5 - $10 higher, saying, "How does $___ sound?" That gives the prospective customer an opportunity to accept or reject right on the spot. If they say it sounds a bit high, then I COME DOWN to the amount I would be quite willing to work for in the first place. I'm happy with the new work and the customer feels like they have saved money. It can be a win-win tactic.

The side benefit is that more often than not the new customers have agreed to my (higher) price, saying it sounded good to them. I like to hear that! My minimum is $30 so really, every job pays.