PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining/targeting new customers

LazerZ101
10-02-2000, 03:33 PM
Being a "neubie" sort of...to this work, how do you all propose I hit new areas? What kind of speach should I prepare? How can I explain the benefits of our services? This probally has been brought upmany times, but I could sure use the work. I want to get to the point I have to turn away work. Any suggestions?

Scott Harris
H&H LawnCare

MIDSOUTH
10-02-2000, 04:25 PM
i started in january of 2000,did some advertising in the local newspaper-not in the classified ads but sent out half page green flyers,about 15,000,got about 20 yards off of that,then i got many from referrals and just giving out bussiness cards,in fact i've been mowing yards and people stop by and hand me an address to give an estimate on,i have 60+ accounts now and most of them are year round,but i live in louisiana and it does not get much of a winter,we did have a drought this year but most of my accounts keep their sprinklers running.so i stay pretty busy,i picked up 7 year rounders in the past 3 weeks,which i kinda found odd this time of year.i guess my point is advertising will get you started,then proffesional,reliable service will get you the majority of your yards.

LoneStarLawn
10-02-2000, 05:04 PM
MIDSOUTH hit it on the nose. First start of with a flyer. Had out in ares you are willing to cut and seems to be a profitable area. Expect 15% return calls and from that expect 90% to except your estimate. Advertising in the paper and yellow pages will help also. During the season referals and people you have seen your work will come calling. Remember to do everything professional because your image will take you to the next level. Good Luck!!

LazerZ101
10-02-2000, 07:48 PM
Just out of curiousity, what was the cost of printing out all thoes fliers, and what about your cost to insert them into the local newspaper? That seems like a great idea I'll consider in the spring. Is that the time to do this? Or should I start my mass advertisements much earlier, like in March? How can I get work this winter? I know you all have a winter plan, but what do you all suggest?

eslawns
10-02-2000, 08:16 PM
I think March may be too late. We start mowing in March. You will still get calls, but it seems like there are two times when calls are heavy; right before the mowing starts and about 3 weeks after. It may be different where you are. If you wait too long, most of the people looking for a landscaper will have found one.

landscaper3
10-02-2000, 09:43 PM
LazerZ101 we have door hangers made up by http://www.nebs.com there very affective a 1000count is like $100 order more get better price, have them send you a catalouge.

LoneStarLawn
10-02-2000, 09:57 PM
Produce a flyer on your computer and take a copy to copy center...we get ours done for arounf $24 per 1000 copies...black and white

MIDSOUTH
10-02-2000, 10:14 PM
the cost for 15000 flyers was 360.00 ,that was half sheet flyers printed on both sides and that included them being placed in the newspaper-pretty cheap advertisment.

MIDSOUTH
10-02-2000, 10:26 PM
i forgot to tell you that i sent them out march 1st.i would suggest sending them out a little earlier like eslawns suggested.