PDA

View Full Version : Split UpTasks???

Vibe Ray
10-02-2000, 04:52 PM
Hey guys,
In my area there is a medium sized subdivision and there are about 10 lawn companies cutting there. Only one is big though and I mean big!!! He has about 200 residentials and has the contract to cut all the neutral grounds and all for the subdivision. The way he handles this is he has lots and lots of workers(not sure how many). But they don't cut one lawn at a time. They have crews dedicated to one task (blowing mowing trimming etc.)It seems to work excellently, but I hear a lot of complaints about their work (mainly cuz of the speed that they work at)Nothing bad though, just missed spots mainly. I've gotten 3 of his lawns cuz they were unhappy with him so far. Just recently I've met him and he seems to be a pretty nice guy and we get along nicely. I've even seen him speeding down the road on a 4 wheeler throughout the subdivision!!! He says to come and talk to him when I am sure that I am serious about cutting grass. Not sure what why though, he didn't say. I am 17 and am senior in high school with about 12 lawns to cut. I have been cuttin for 4 months now. but do any of u guys split up tasks like this? How does it all work out for you? Not that I'm considering doing it cuz I am a 1 man show and plan to keep it that way!

[Edited by Vibe Ray on 10-02-2000 at 07:56 PM]

Cutter1
10-02-2000, 06:28 PM
I know why, because he wants you as an employee!!!

Vibe Ray
10-02-2000, 06:33 PM
don't worry about that Cutter! It will never happen!i will always be a 1 man show....just something i've made my mind up on....well do u split up task like him at all Cutter. How do u handle it all???

Cutter1
10-02-2000, 06:52 PM
I don't understand what you mean?? He has one crew for cutting, one for blowing etc... Is that what you mean?

Vibe Ray
10-02-2000, 07:07 PM
yes Cutter

Chip
10-02-2000, 07:23 PM
Yes I have seen a guy try to do this. One crew cutting and then a second crew shows up later to do the trimming and cutting. The only problem I saw with this idea was a lack of quality control. This is why you are getting some of his work. The company that I watched was owned by a school teacher. He did the cutting with another guy, followed up by two other guys that did the trimming and blowing. I was wondering when the follow up crew would catch up. It usually takes my crew less time for the detail work than the cutting.

Cutter1
10-02-2000, 07:41 PM
I think that is a waste of time. I think one crew should cut, trim, blow. Give the other crew a list of there own. To send two guys to first drive there, trim, blow of walks, to me is a waste of time and money.

Rufur
10-02-2000, 08:49 PM
When I do the bolwing off pavement I usually check over the lawn to make sure I havent missed spots..I wouldnt want to be the guy finish blowing and discover a missed spot. on larger properties I split it up into portions...more eyes on the job

Vibe Ray
10-04-2000, 12:14 AM
I have even seen this guy driving a pickup around with a worker in the back with a trimmer and he drove around the perimeter of the neutral grounds as the worker trimmed the perimeter for the riding SCAG that came by about an hour later.

LoneStarLawn
10-04-2000, 12:21 AM
Lets say that he has 40 lawns in one day....Three crews, each with separate task (one crew cuts, other trims,other cleans up) Each will have to travel to each account so 40 * 3 = 120. Seems like losing money to me when they could split the accounts. One crew does 15 other does 15 last does 10...seems to save gas and mileage.....tell him when he is serious to come talk to you...lol

Vibe Ray
10-04-2000, 10:34 PM
LOL, Good one Lone Star!!!