PDA

View Full Version : Extended bed vs. trailer

Vibe Ray
10-02-2000, 05:46 PM
I was wondering if an extended bed could substitute for a trailer...what do u guys think? What about fitting a 60" Emarks Lazer with all the equipment needed for a one man show???

little green guy
10-02-2000, 05:53 PM
You can't put a lazer in the back of a truck. Trailers are so much easier to work off of because you can get racks and stuff and be more organized. i would never try to put a rider in the back of a truck unless your talking a flatbed or something then MAYBE it would work but I still wouldn't do it. A 60" won't even fit in a pick up. Trailers are definitly the best way to go. Get like a 12' open trailer for 1400.00, put some racks on and your set.

Lazer
10-02-2000, 06:03 PM
Of course you can!

You should see the set-up that SILVA builds- it's so sweet!
11ft. flatbed with a 3ft. hyrdraulic beavertail and then a standard ramp.

Advantages:
Smaller package
Better fuel milage
Park anywere
No registation, insurance on trailer
No trailer maintenance, tires, etc.
Wider deck (8' vs. 6')

Disadvantages:
Dedicates your truck for that use.
Quite expensive to custom upfit.

geogunn
10-02-2000, 06:07 PM
LGG said:

[QUOTE]

"Get like a 12' open trailer for 1400.00, put some racks on and your set."

heck! go buy a NEW tandem, 16 foot for $750!

GEO

Vibe Ray
10-02-2000, 06:09 PM
hey Lazer whats a 3 foot hydrauilc beaver tail??? and who's SILVA??? And also would u need dual rear wheels to support the extra weight??

Cutter1
10-02-2000, 06:17 PM
$750 for a 16 ft??? WHere is this at??? I don't think you would need a dual axle for that and if you think you do, the extra money it would cost to get a dual axle you can get a trailer!!! I would not attempt to run a laser up and dowm ramps all day long, trust me something will happen!! Look for a small used trailer somewhere, it will save a lot of aggravation.

little green guy
10-02-2000, 06:43 PM
Geogunn- where are you going to get a 16' for 750.00 I've never seen one that cheep. I would get a 16' but you don't need one. I have a 12' tandem trailer and i can fit 3 walkbehinds on it. i'm going to get a 20' enclosed next summer though.

Lazer- I've seen those trucks and they are sweet but I didn't think he was talking about that. The bad thing about them is there a dedicated mower truck. I can't see spending the money on a mowing truck. A mason dump or grain body is so much more versitile, especially if you do landscaping and other stuff besides cutting. You just slap a trailer behind it and your set. Unless all you do is mow i think those trucks are worthless, they are nice though, if thats what you need. I would never get one though cause I do more landscape install and stuff than mowing so it would be dumb. I think trailers are better, the disavantages of those trucks seem to out wiegh the advantages.

AB Lawn Care
10-02-2000, 08:14 PM
That is a very tuff question!You can very easly have just a truck.....no problem!There are loads of trucks out there with long frames.But to get a truck you will have to buy a dually.Up here in canada there are f-350's that have been customized with longer frames,they use a 19 foot box!Just rip the box off and put a flat bed on it.That could probably hold aboy 3 lasers!!!!I have been thinking of picking one up!They are pretty cheap.They where all used by a patato chip company,so they would mostly have highway milage.The only problem would be that you would have to beef up the suspension to hold that extra weight.But that is not a real challenge.I personally think it would be better to have a large truck with a flat bed.Cheaper on gas,alot more easy to park,less manitnce costs.It would mostliklely be cheaper to run a trailer in the short run,but when I get the funds I will be seriously thinking about a large flatbed setup.

Getmow
10-02-2000, 08:33 PM
I will try to email eric a picture of myb lawn truck. It is a 12' flat bed with a 4' beavertail and ramp mounted on a Ford 350 diesel. During the cutting season it is 10x better than a truck and trailer combo, at least when you deal with employees. It is;
1) more fuel efficient
2) easy to drive
3) easy to back up
4) fits in my shop with no trailer hook up time.

The disadvantages are ;
1) no room to haul debri
2) no side gate for quick unloading of that seldom used walkbehind

Bobby
10-02-2000, 09:07 PM
Hey Lazer, could you show us a pic of this rig?
I saw a Toyota one ton dually in Atlanta. Custom bed with box up front,flatbed with 18in sides and a dove tail with a spring assist ramp. He said it fit in his garage.
I would love to not have to drag a trailor.
Plenty of room for enough equiptment to keep two guys busy.
Saw an Isuzu NPR down here that had a side dump up front. Equiptment behind the dump.

MJB
10-02-2000, 09:41 PM
The trucks are nice if all you do is mulch the grass. What happens in the spring and fall when you bag some lawns and do cleanups?? Take another truck to the job to haul off the clippins?? thats not very cost efficient.
I have a truck and a 16 ft open trailer, I carry my tools
trimmers, blowers, blades, and my Walker, and 60" Exmark,
and a 21" JD.

geogunn
10-02-2000, 11:36 PM
LGG--yep I can put you on a brand new tandem, 16 foot, dual axle for $750. doubt me? my e-address is in my profile.

and by the way, three WB's on a 12 footer? that's crowded if it can be done. and if you can do that, whyinthehell do you say you don't need a 16 foot traler and in the next sentence you explain your plan to buy a 20 foot enclosed? it just doesn't work out to my thinking.

and for your information, the way the factory makes these things, 12 foot, 16 foot...same price! WHY? the steel comes in 16 foot lengths. if they cut off 4 feet, no refund.

cutter1--same as LGG. $750 for trailer as described above. add brakes, add $100 bucks. same deal. all day long.

GEO

Cutter1
10-03-2000, 12:12 AM
Alright geo...YOu don't have to get pissy. Where are you at, I need another trailer for next year?? I need brakes on it.

little green guy
10-03-2000, 12:23 AM
Sorry My thoughts where kinda mixed up

Geogunn- heres the deal, when i siad i would get a 16 foot trailer that was meant as If i where going to get another open trailer thats what i would do bedcause I would rather have more room but it's not nessasary. I can fit 1- 48", 1-36" walkbehind and a 52" walkbehind side by side on my trailer. The reason i am going to get a 20' enclosed next year is because I am planning on buyin a new rider to so I will need a bigger trailer.

750.00 is a realy good deal for a 16 footer though. where are you located? Can you get enclosed trailer cheaper too. i may have to think about the 16'er. thanks

BUSHMASTER
10-03-2000, 12:38 AM
thiers a coulple of folks up here that run 1 tons flat bed with a slant back and a ramp has a lock box over the cab,racks on the inside and one guy fit a walker ,a 60" exmark and a 21",works for him,,,but if you have to carry materials like straw for a bedding job you have to leave somthing behind...or deal with a trailer and diconnecting it all day....guess it depends on weather or not all you do is cut grass?

geogunn
10-03-2000, 11:51 AM
cutter1--no pissy here! and by the way, you don't have to get defensive either.

as I said, e-mail address is in my profile.:)

I really do wish that all members that contribute would fill out their profile.

LGG--thanks for the clarification. I use a 12 foot trailer and three 48's on that thing would be tough.

GEO

little green guy
10-03-2000, 10:46 PM
Goegunn- you just gotta know how to scweeze thyem on there right. I put them all side by side so they all fit, I put them so the deck of one mower is next to the drive wheel of the next mower. I alternate them. It's all good but i can't wiat to get a nice big 20'er and the new rider.

cantoo
10-03-2000, 10:58 PM
geogun, can you give us some name and #'s on that trailer. I'm getting set to build one and the parts are more than $1500 Can. We will be driving thru on the way home from Florida in Jan. maybe I could pick one up then. I don't need it until Spring. I know a dealer that picks up horse trailers from Tenn, somewhere and sells them here, I might give him a call too.

REX HANKINS
10-04-2000, 12:11 AM
We run a Isuzu NPR with a 16ft. platform, with an additional 4ft. beavertail. We have a 4x8 box with 4ft. sides across the front for hauling clippings. There is a door on the curb side for unloading. The back panel of this box is removable for more floor space if needed. This truck is so much easier to get around town in.

stslawncare
10-04-2000, 12:11 AM
cantoo,
u are making ur own trailer right? from what i have heard its easy, but $1500 for parts seems way high, if i remember correctly u can get a good good used one for $1000, and can purchase new for not to much more. in the northern catalog they have EXCELLENT plans for trailers and even two books. take a look at there parts prices, also have a few other names if u want them.

cantoo
10-04-2000, 12:55 AM
That's $1500 Canadian about $20 US just kidding. I have built lots of trailers before and I tend to overbuild them and put lots of extras on them. I am not sure yet if I will buy a used one and redo it or just start from scratch. I want to have side ramps on both sides, stake pockets for different types of sides, trimmer racks and tool holders. I will use this trailer for lots of different types of jobs including sleds in the winter. It has to hold a 72" Ransomes, a 48" Walker and a Toro wbh plus all the other small toys.

cutting edge
10-05-2000, 11:02 AM
I had to reply on the price of the 16' tandem ($750 good deal). I purchased a new 7 X 16 tandem GVWR 7000# with treated lumber and gate for $890 plus tax.

geogunn
10-05-2000, 04:20 PM
CE--did you get brakes for that price?

also...I'm not sure about the tailgate on the $750 job..

GEO

dylan
10-05-2000, 06:03 PM
Saw some guys in a city near mine using a flat bed on their truck. Looked kind of like a Chip/Bread truck with no box. The bed was real high off the ground (5.5')and I watched them load the wb's. They were almost going straight up.
They had 3 54" hydro wb's on the truck. It had a side ramp and a rear one. It was pulling a 16" trailer with a 5' john deere tractor and a 3' JD belt wb. These were hooked together to give an eight foot cut.

cutting edge
10-05-2000, 08:58 PM
I think they told me that brakes would be $150 per axle extra.

turfquip
10-05-2000, 10:54 PM
//...flaming envelope award to turfquip

jaclawn
10-06-2000, 09:09 AM
Anyone ever consider an old rollback tow truck? Loading and unloading would be a snap, just make sure everything is tied down.
/
/
/
I don't think that the tilt angle would be steep enough for it to be used as a dump truck though. If one could be modified to dupm steep enough, a bin on the front, with mowers on back would be the ultimate setup.

turfman99
10-07-2000, 01:30 PM
Getmow seems to come close to hitting it here.

I used to use the same type of setup to haul Toro equipment for demonstrations.

The larger truck type setups do not calculate out real well against pickup trailer combinations, unless you keep them for at least 10 years.

You could always get a debris trailer and then jackkinfe truck to unload. Not very pratical in neighborhoods.