PDA

View Full Version : greasable spindles?

Vibe Ray
10-02-2000, 06:19 PM
Do they make Exmarks with greasable spindles or do they sell them seperately for you to put them on???

TLS
10-02-2000, 06:57 PM
Why would you want to grease a sealed bearing? Its sealed for a reason. Just think, 3 less fittings to grease every day. The spindles on my Dixie take 12-15 pumps/day! I had a 1988 JD 318 w/50" deck. Sold it to my Dad. Has over 1900 hrs and original non-greasable sealed spindles. Remember, this is a homeowner model tractor that saw 5 years as a commercial machine! Exmark says they are holding up just fine.

Cutter1
10-02-2000, 07:01 PM
I agree with dixie, they are designed that way for a reason!! Dixie.....12 to 25 pumps a day of grease?? That seems a bit much.

TLS
10-02-2000, 07:08 PM
I use a one handed grease gun (kind of like a walkbehind mower control) I grease until I hear it popping out the bottom. Been doing this for 1000+ hrs. Maybe I'm over doing it, but the grease goes in red and comes out the bottom bearing black/grey. Im using Pennziol 707L hi-temp wheel bearing lithium grease. Also the caster wheel spindles on ZTR's they say maybe every 50 hrs. I give them a pump every day and it comes out black from the breather hole? I guess I'm just over cautious, as grease and oil are cheap!

Cutter1
10-02-2000, 07:47 PM
I guess thats why we all have our own business!! :) Thats one thing I like about the greaseless spindles and castors on the Laser, less things to worry about in the morning or evening.

jaybee
10-02-2000, 08:17 PM
I still have my John Deere 318. I used it one year commercially and it has 700 hours on the spindles. I had someone put new bearings in, but they really didn't need it.

LeoS818
12-05-2000, 09:40 PM
I've replaced the spindle bearings on one of our xw2500 choppers. The bearings themselves are sealed. So it looks to me like greasing them is pointless. All it does is fill the cavity around the spindle shaft.

accuratelawn
12-06-2000, 01:17 AM
Cutter1,
I'm not sure what Exmark you have with casters that don't need grease.
My Lazer does not a a zerk, but you are to remove the screw and grease yearly.

Eric ELM
12-06-2000, 03:18 AM
From what I've heard, there is a small slot in the DC bearings that the grease gets into the bearing. You have to fill the spindle cavity up until grease comes out the top or bottom of the spindle so it forces grease into the bearing. I grease mine every 25 hours this way and have only replaced one set on one spindle that was a bit loose when I bought this Chopper new. After 3,000 hours it was a little more loose so I had that spindle set replaced, but it wasn't a worn out bearing. This is the only bearings I've replaced in 16 years of mowing. I've got around 8,000 hours total on 4 DC's, so this must work.

I think you set a record of being a member the longest before ever posting, but I'm glad you have started. :)

geogunn
12-06-2000, 08:46 AM
EVERY DAY...(that I mow, of course)I give the spindles a shot or two of grease. this usually results in an accumulation of bleed out grease after a while but it's not a problem.

it takes about a minute everyday to make sure that there wont be a lube related failure of a spindle bearing when I can least afford for my mower to go down. changing blades is a big deal compared to six pumps with a grease gun.

I also grease the front spindles and front axles every day.

my spindle bearings are still tight and have never been replaced. this after at least eight or nine years of service.:)

GEO

awm
12-06-2000, 09:35 AM
Eight years speaks for its self.
Little now or a lot later.

bob
12-07-2000, 01:37 PM
My Grasshopper owners manual say to grease the spindles every 40 hours. That seems too long. I grease them more often that that.