PDA

View Full Version : Do You Drink Beer on the Jobsite?

dhicks
10-02-2000, 09:08 PM
Have you ever drunk a beer on the jobsite? I know itís unprofessional, reprehensible, and just a no-no while on duty. I do not drink beer in the autumn nor the winter and not too much in the spring. However, once the temperature hits about 85 degrees or more, and Iím working my tail-off, water and Gator juice just donít kick my thirst while a single beer does the trick every time.

Matter of fact, some of my yuppie customers (while sitting in the pool) will run a can of beer out to me on the mower and throw a burger or dog on a paper plate. While Iím not interested in eating when itís hot, the beer seems to be the pick-me-up that I need.

I would assume the yuppies are being sociable or they figure the derelict on the $8000.00 mower needs a drink. Whatever the case this has to stop.

slingshot
10-02-2000, 09:17 PM
i only drink beer on the way to jobs or in rout to the next house thank god for cup holders in trucks

leeslawncare
10-02-2000, 09:25 PM
I'll A_MEN to that !!!!love those 5-gal. water coolers best thing for holding a 6 pack!!!LOL

bob
10-02-2000, 09:38 PM
The tool box on my Grasshopper doubles as a cooler! ;)

John DiMartino
10-02-2000, 09:43 PM
I drink in my own yard only-if the stripes get a bit squirly-no big deal,go get another six pack-theyll straighten out.Now if i could figure out a way to drive the DC and hold my beer at the same time-ill be all set.Ive got s nice cupholder from Overton's,its for boats and works well for the Coors light can on the DC.

Keith
10-02-2000, 09:45 PM
No. Florida heat and humidity don't mix well with alcholic beverages. I used to drink a beer if a customer brought one out, but it doesn't look to professional. :)

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
10-02-2000, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately, alcohol has a tendency to dehydrate more than it helps. Also, I would find it VERY unprofessional to drink while on the job.

Turf Kutter
10-02-2000, 09:55 PM
Pour it in a nestea or arizona ice tea bottle then it will look like you are drinking tea.:DOr always a plastic that is not see through.:):D

65hoss
10-02-2000, 09:56 PM
It might be a slap in the customers face to decline the nice thought. :)

geogunn
10-02-2000, 10:03 PM
dang, what a question!

(hickup!)

uhh...what was the question?

GEO

stick9
10-02-2000, 10:33 PM
If a customer gives us a beer .. we will usually save it until the end of the day (kinda weird, but the customers usually ONLY give us a beer at the end of the day) ... then we'll drink it when we get back to the shop .. or just have it with dinner.

STICK-nine

BUSHMASTER
10-02-2000, 11:24 PM
I don,t drink when at a customers or during or before i drive ,my customers have asked and i am sorry in my younger days you couldn't feed me enough silver bullets but i smilpy say that i have to drive but i'll take a glass of tea,i have a family,own my own company, and have to many things that could screw up with a dui...i would have to hire someone to drive me around...it just not worth it to me to pop a top and take that big risk when i'll be safly home and could drink all i want i about 15 mins.toro guy
i have no problem with what you said but....my 8 year old had me explain wath that "B" word was..........free country but that was a little graphic..........well we now have a new tool i told him it pulled plugs out of the ground for
onion bulbs,....

landscaper3
10-02-2000, 11:27 PM
Perfect reply Bushmaster!!!!!!!!1

pottstim
10-03-2000, 03:26 AM
I only drink beer while at home or at a Friend's house..or where ever i may be..maybe at a restaurant. Usually it's or or 2..but no more than that. But I NEVER drink while i am driving..just plain irresponsible. Plus, there is an law here in Tennessee against open containers of alcohol in a vehicle. You get caught with it..and you're busted big time!
I couldn't agree more..there's nothing like an ice cold beer on a warm summer day!

Tim

jrblawncare
10-03-2000, 05:40 AM
BEER at the end of the ONLY..never at a job site or on the road.I enjoy a couple of cold ones when my work day is done.I miss my Genny beer from Rochster,can't get it here.

cos
10-03-2000, 11:44 AM
Wait till the end of the day to drown all your sorrows of the hard worked day.

Just imagine walking up to a potential client with alcohol on your breath.

GrassMaster
10-03-2000, 12:57 PM
Hello:

There is too much at risk to gamble yo life, business & yo familys livelyhood away & Risk it on a Nice Ice Cold Beer while working.

Remember what can happen will happen, sooner or later, all you got to do, is just give it time. I could be wrong, but in this kind of business we have a lot of stuff happen to us, LOL that just don't happen to other folks out there!

I loves Beer very much, but my job takes priority, Why? My job buys me them thar Beers. If ya lower your standards in front of your customers once, you might have to do it again. No not all customers are like that, just like everybody else they have to be treated on a individual basis?

What we did was say that it was company policy that no beer drank while on the job, but Thanks so much for Ice Cold Beer & then take it straight to the good ole 5 Gal. Igloo water cooler so it can be on ice till ya get off!

Now wasn't that a short post & on topic? LOL

leeslawncare
10-03-2000, 04:49 PM
All jokes aside ,I wouldn't want to see some one mowing my lawn with a beer on the hood of his truck.That would look un profesional so,if you got to do it i think the best way would be to keep it in your truck an between jobs ! but rember the police will stop a working man as easy as anyone else.

Charles
10-03-2000, 06:46 PM
One or 2 beers don't have much effect on me. Except if it is early in the day I would get sleepy. I just never have drink on the job. It be hard for me to stop at 1 or 2 beers. I been offered it been offered it by one or 2 customers. i get it and just pour it out when they not looking(sorry i know thats a sin lol). Hard enough to do this job without being sleepy

turfman99
10-03-2000, 08:06 PM
1. Consumption of alcohol beverages on the job is unprofessional and your just asking to get your legal ass handed to you on that.

2. Alcohol dehydrates you faster than sweating.

3. If your drinking on the job, you have a problem.

4. If you drink to the point of intoxication more than once or twice a year, you have a problem.

5. Most peoples mouths start running even after a couple of beers. Wrong thing to do around clients. I do business with clients, not socialize with them.

Surely, this thread is in jest ???

Toroguy
10-03-2000, 08:21 PM
My post was removed, for those of you who read it, it was in fun, a joke, a hyperbole. I would never go to a jobsite under the influence of any substance. Nor would I consume liquor and drive.

CommercialCuts
10-04-2000, 12:51 PM
Well put buschmaster and turfman, think of the liability these guys are putting themselves in, and everyone else on the road, carring all this equipment, which makes good projectiles and will kill someone. I quit drinking in 1994 and just recently started having a beer now and then, but never while im working nor the hired help, if i smell it or see it their gone!! Dont want to sound like a prood but there is a time and a place for everything NOT AT WORK.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-05-2000, 11:43 AM
I am 19 years old and not legally old enough to cunsome alcohol, not to say i havent before. But when i think about it i relize its pretty dumb. Right now i have a succecfull bussiness that draws in more money than most people twice my age. I am planning on makking this my lifetime carear so why would i want to even take the chance of throwing away my whole life just because i wanted to get drunk. Im sure once i am of age i will sit back everyonce in a while and have a beer while a watch a game or something but its just not worth it. I watched one of my bestfriends and the heartaches she had when her dad was killed by a drunk driver when he was coming home from work to be with his family, And that was enough to convince be never to drink and drive....EVER

jaclawn
10-06-2000, 07:36 AM
I have one a few times per week with lunch. Sometimes in the afternoon, I will have another. A&W ROOT beer that is. That is what this thread was about???

Kevin
10-06-2000, 09:28 AM
Just say no! Now if they offer a fine wine I don't feel that is too unprofessional looking, holding a wine glass whie mowing!

lawrence stone
10-06-2000, 09:49 AM
I enjoy a nice Chianti with fava beans!!!

scottb
10-06-2000, 09:53 AM
Pardon me sir but do you have any Grey Poupon.

Ssouth
10-09-2000, 09:21 PM
Great question. I'd like to think that everyone in the service industry is sober(Ha Ha). I love to drink beer and I do get intoxicated more than twice a year but I have never had a drink and gone to work. Besides being un-professionable it's a liability to your bussiness. Just think about running over the neighbors prize dog and when you go to tell them they smell liquor on your breath. Talk about deep S**t.. Enjoy yourself, know your limits, and never drink on the job.

It's you a** your saving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaclawn
10-09-2000, 09:50 PM
The HVAC guy was at a customers house today. He had two cases on the front seat of his van.

greenngrow
10-10-2000, 09:25 PM
I have read all the threads. I have to agree with the majority. Drinking is very unprofessional. I like to drink a cold beer on a hot day just as much as other guy. I make it a number one rule no drinking on the job.

After the days work is done then you can have a few beers, but too many can lead to BIG problems.