PDA

View Full Version : who owns dumptrucks

mikeshere89
07-30-2003, 11:22 PM
hoping for some feedback,

I just bought an older 83 6.2l diesel 4*4 dually one ton dump, i paid 3500.00 with only 58,000 miles on it. it also has the attachment for a blade on the front which i can buy from them for 500 (its a v blade) anyways ive been looking for a dump for sometime now and i think i got a pretty good deal. i was just curious what some of you guys use and how much money you actually make off of your dump, i was getting tired of shoveling dirt,mulch,concrete,limbs,etc etc etc out of my pickup all the time. and also if i had a choice i would have gotten a gas the 6.2litre has no power, wish it had fords drivetrain in it.

phillylawnking1
07-31-2003, 12:13 AM
I have a couple dumps ,and I couldn't operate without them. The extra 500 is nothing compared to the money you will make with the plow.

mikeshere89
07-31-2003, 12:35 AM
i plan on buying the plow, althou this is my first year in business and going very well i have never plowed before. any tricks to it and what kind of prices do u charge for plowing.

little green guy
07-31-2003, 12:46 AM
I have a 89' F450 rack body dump that we use everyday and I couldn't do without it. I also have 2 pickups but for any landscape work they' re good to throw tools in the back of and get guys to the job but that's about it. I had days this spring where we moved 45 yards of mulch a day with my dump. For cutting grass pickups are ok but any landscape work you have to have a dump. I also have a plow and sander on the dump and a plow on one of my pickups.

Check out plowsite.com if you wanna know about plowing

Scag48
07-31-2003, 01:06 AM
I beg to differ about those 6.2 litres having no power. I have an '82 GMC half ton 6.2 that will tow 7,000 easily. It won't go extremely fast uphill, as it's a diesel, but it will tow just about anything. Things will get strange going down a hills, but any truck will get pushed towing 7K, but most trailers with that kind of capacity will have elec. brakes, so it's not a huge problem. Just take it easy. On a plus side, they are good trucks. Watch the trannies, they will go out on you. I had the original one rebuilt just under 2 years ago and it blew up on me 130 miles from home about 3 weeks ago. Good luck with the dump! I wish I had one!

GLAN
08-01-2003, 09:59 AM
There is no way I could do what I do with dump trucks

Tvov
08-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by mikeshere89
hoping for some feedback,

I just bought an older 83 6.2l diesel 4*4 dually one ton dump,

A dually that is only holds "one ton"? That seems kind of light to me.

You'll love the dump truck, and after awhile you won't believe that you used to work without one.

Mike Bradbury
08-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Tvov

You'll love the dump truck, and after awhile you won't believe that you used to work without one.

sarcasm? One ton TRUCK. Load rating on my 90 is 5,000lbs.

Tvov
08-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Mike Bradbury

No sarcasm. Now I'm really confused. Your truck weighs one ton empty? My F-350 weighs 6,000lbs empty. Maybe we are talking about different things?? :confused:

Mike Bradbury
08-01-2003, 11:35 PM

Swampbeast
08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
I have four F-550 dumps that I use in my Landscaping company (seperate from my lawn mowing company) as well as two Sterling Dump trucks, big ones, dual axle with a 16 foot box I believe.

Dumps are wonderful when its time to deliver dirt and mulch etc.

:cool:

Mike Bradbury
08-04-2003, 06:32 PM
No sarcasm. Now I'm really confused. Your truck weighs one ton empty? My F-350 weighs 6,000lbs empty. Maybe we are talking about different things?? :confused:

LOAD, not truck weight.
F150- 1/2 Ton truck - load capacity 1,000lbs (1/2 ton)
F250- 3/4 Ton truck - load capacity 1500lbs (3/4 ton)
F350- 1 Ton truck - load capacity 2000lbs (1 ton)

Those are roughly, some 1/2 tons only have 7-800lb capacity, depends on the components, springs, tires, axles, brakes, etc

Take a 1 Ton CHASSIS and put heavy duty brakes, axles, dual wheels, etc and THEN you can carry 5,000lbs with a 1 ton truck.

hosejockey2002
08-06-2003, 12:57 AM
These days the 1/2,3/4, 1 ton ratings are meaningless. "1 tons" are AKA F350, c30, C/K3500, Ram 3500, etc. Some of these can carry 5,000 lbs., others with single rear wheels carry much less. Fords new F150, which is commonly called a 1/2 ton, has an available payload of up to 2,900 pounds. I use to have an F250 that could carry 3,300. Bottom line-- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) minus actual vehicle weight (not what the mfgr. says it weighs) equals payload. For a "1 ton" it could probably be anywhere from 2,000 to 6,000 pounds.

T. Matthews
08-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just bought a 1970 chevy c-50 dump. 24000GVW . It has 35230 original miles. The only thing I have had to do to it is basic 30 years of maintenance. Fluids, filters belts and hoses, plugs and wires. It is an awsome truck. I post pics when I get them back. I use it for mulch loam, stone deliveries this fall we will build a box on it and haul leaves.

Mike Bradbury
08-20-2003, 07:56 PM
How well do those old trucks (bigger ones) drive compared to newer ones?
I'm totally disenchanted with the new 40k pickups and all their expensive problems. I've a super clean 86 C10 and a 90 K30 that are both nice to drive and easy to fix.
I'm aware that most guys have new trucks because of the tax rightoff, but I'm thinking of spending my money on other equipment and staying with older (simpler) and easily fixed trucks.
You can make a really nice old truck if you put 10k into it, a drop in the bucket compared to buying new. New suspension and steering components, bushings, etc can make an old truck pretty darn nice. Put some nice bucket seats and a console from a newer truck (have 2000 Suburban leather buckets w/full power and heat in my 86 :) Steering wheel from most any GM vehicle. New dash pad and door panels, etc etc
GM sells brand new factory crate motors that bolt right in. New GM 350 for $1299 delivered to your dock of choice.
Anyway, just wondered if those big trucks were the same way as far as driving pretty nice if fixed up/refreshed. I too (here in farm country) see lots of nice sounding old trucks with very few miles listed frequently in local trader mags.

Gravel Rat
08-22-2003, 01:28 PM
For me I would like to have a larger truck something like a 4900 International 5 ton but the places I go I need 4wheeldrive because the access roads rough. The places I go a 5 ton truck would have some troubles fitting sometimes theres just enough room for me to turn around in a 1 ton with a 12' deck.

I also need a truck with a lower profile so I can handload the truck most 5 ton trucks the deck is too high to lift anything onto the truck by hand.

A F-550 4x4 would be the perfect sized truck for me but who can justify 50 grand if I was gonna spend that much I would go to a tandem.

Right now my F-Superduty is fine but it is 2wd and I have troubles getting out of new construction sites its a real pain so I'am going back to a F-350 4x4.

I do need a dump truck again I hauled 6200lbs of crusher dust to my neighbours and had to shovel it off because I don't have a dump truck anymore. My back sure felt it the next day I did have a guy help me goonspoon it off it took us a hour to get the 6200lbs of material shoveled off.

If I do go to a 1 ton 4x4 I'am hoping it will handle 5000lbs may be 6000 the odd time, my old 1980 F-350 could handle 6000lbs it was heavy but it could do it I have had 7000 on it.

In my area I don't have to travel very far usually 1/2 hour drive max with the loaded truck in a rural area and not a stop light anywhere.

As for fixing old trucks up thats not even a possibility you end up spending way more money dumping money into a dead horse once a truck here is worn out its shot. Take my truck for instance its got 306,000kms (191,000 miles) on the odo and its going to need a rebuilt 5spd, rear end,brakes,spring bushings etc the list goes on and on. By the time you repair all that stuff you could have bought a newer truck that you don't have to worry about.

We also have a problem here its called Rust anything older than late 90s will have rust problems usually the frame or the cab is rusted out.

Anyhow I'am still searching for a truck I may have to buy a cab and chassis and build my own dumping flatdeck.