PDA

View Full Version : going to tandems

wriken
07-31-2003, 09:30 PM
I have a 12' trailer that has one 3500# axle, I want to add another axle, but was wondering if I have to go with the tandem equalizer inbetween the old axle and new axle, or could I just buy a axle, springs and some spring hangers and mount it that way.

44toy
07-31-2003, 09:35 PM
I have a 12' 3500lb trailer i hauled my farm tractor on. It was hard to load more on it than it would carry, unless it was mulch. second thought if i wanted a trailer to haul 6000 lbs plus, it would need to built with heavier cobstuction than my 61/2x 12.

wriken
07-31-2003, 09:41 PM
I have plenty of trailers, 20' tandem and a 25' v-nose enclosed to haul my equipment around. I want to put a dump insert on this trailer and mount my vacumn in front of it , build a box for it and be able to empty it pretty easy. I thought dual axle would be better for this application, and cheaper to add a axle then to buy a new trailer.

44toy
07-31-2003, 10:10 PM
You will want to add equalizer for sure. I have pulled dual axle solid mounted trailers (similar to a trailer without eqalizer, but worse) crossing a small ditch would cause the wheels to leave the ground! this caused the tongue weight to increase when frt wheels left ground and rear of truck to come nearly off ground when rear wheels come off ground. trailer with spings and no equalizer should me much better but still not great.

also you will need to consider center of gravity when loaded. you may have to cut your existing axle off and move it. just adding a axle would move the center of gravity about 2 feet or so. when loaded this could make achieving the proper tongue weight very hard.

I've had and built several trailers over the years and come to one conclusion. If you start cutting and welding on a trailer and buying axles etc. it ends up about as cheap to buy what you need count it off your taxes and sell your old one for cash.

sorry for long response

wriken
07-31-2003, 10:38 PM
ya I'm thinking of moving the axle if I go with the equalizer set up, in which I think I will. thanks

wriken
08-04-2003, 07:01 PM
well got it done, bout $250.00 in to it. Now I have to pick up dump insert, build a box for it and mount the leaf vacumn. I have to mount new fenders also.