PDA

View Full Version : accepting (credit card or paypal) now or in Future?

Team Gopher
08-01-2003, 02:04 AM
Are you accepting credit cards or paypal payments now? Do you plan on it in the future? Any thoughts pro or con on the poll choices?
Let's have a look into the current trend.

GLAN
08-01-2003, 10:25 AM
We accept Visa / MasterCard / Discover.

Processed with the unit in office. By spring we should have it available on website along with PayPal or just PayPal.

ElephantNest
08-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Check out this site:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

A1 Grass
08-01-2003, 08:26 PM
DO NOT mess with PAYPAL - they are worthless!

mtdman
08-01-2003, 09:44 PM
I get paid just fine via check right now. Why would I pay a percentage to a card company to accept money when I get it fine anyway?

:confused:

GLAN
08-01-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm convinced. No PayPal........:)

tiedeman
08-02-2003, 05:46 AM
we accept visa & mastercard and also accept paypal. But we are going to get rid of it because of the high charges when we use it. It's totally nutz!

Mueller Landscape Inc
08-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info on PayPal.

Bob Minney
08-02-2003, 03:25 PM
We accept credit cards, good rate through our bank, works well for us.
I would add pay-pal to my business anytime if there was a call for it. Good thing about it is no monthly minimum. My wife uses pay-pal for the online part of her business, 2.5% and .35 per transaction. Good rate for what they offer. When I did the set up it was very easy. No problems to this point.

MCGRAIL LAWN
08-02-2003, 04:38 PM
We are considering a mobil unit for snow removal hers the link

http://www.paynetsystems.com/Equipmentsoftware/Nurit2085.htm

$329.00

It stores upto 100 Transactions. You take it out into the feild swipe the cards print receipts. When you get back to the office you plug it into the phone line a conect to the server uploading the charges.

We think it would be a good idea for the snow removal. Charge on the spot.

Any ideas or comments on this please help

Team Gopher
08-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your repsonses so far.
Bob had posted "uses pay-pal for the online part of her business, 2.5% and .35 per transaction. Good rate for what they offer. When I did the set up it was very easy. No problems to this point."
Sounds like a good review of paypal.
If anyone has used it and found they didn't like it for one reason or another, can you please expand on why you didn't like it?

MCGRAIL LAWN
08-02-2003, 04:47 PM
I used Paypal when I sold stuff on E-Bay

I did not like it that mutch

Was not that confusing to me but the customers info was alsays wrong. So either the customers are stupid or confused.

I thibk they were do confused with me form to fill in.

Just my opinion

mtdman
08-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by mtdmaster
I get paid just fine via check right now. Why would I pay a percentage to a card company to accept money when I get it fine anyway?

:confused:

I still don't understand why I would do credit cards. What are the pros of doing credit cards?

Mueller Landscape Inc
08-02-2003, 10:35 PM
You get paid within 2 days after sending out bills.

GLAN
08-02-2003, 10:40 PM
You can have customers set up for monthly payment on credit card. No checks you do that transaction when billing. Money in your account in 2 days. EASY.

Offers an another method of payment.

People fall behind. Put the past due on a card, some do.

I had a couple clients that were always running past due. Year after year. Told them about the credit card, suggest they use one they get some kind of rewards. They did, now month after month they are never late.

2.5% or 2.7% is not all that much. For me it's better to keep a customer than always find new ones cause of payment problems.

If it was me. I would never accept a check. Go to the bank every day or a couple times a week? Forget it, my time is more valuable.........:p

LOL as it is now I go once a week :cool:

mtdman
08-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Well, I have very little problems with getting paid now as it is. I am pretty happy with the way my customers pay me, I send out statements once a month. I usually make a few trips to the bank per month to make deposits, that's it. I guess if I were bigger I might have more problems with payments, but for where I am at now, I cannot justify giving ANY percentage to a cc company for a system. That's my situation, though.

CamLand
08-04-2003, 08:13 AM
on this subject,i had commercial account for 8 years,never a problem owner was very pleased with the service.i lost it this year because a,company came in charges same as myself,but they take credit cards. i talked to the owner he said it was the convience of paying credit..

MCGRAIL LAWN
08-04-2003, 12:14 PM
CAMLAND

Get some credit card system and get your job back

WeatherMan
08-04-2003, 11:43 PM
I take paypal payments, and several of my customers love it, and others put up with it so they can charge services to the VISA to earn Payback points

Advanced Lawncare
08-04-2003, 11:52 PM
I do not do either at this time. If I had clients that wanted it I would probably do credit cards, or EFTs (though banks), but doubt that I would do paypal or similar type of vendors.

Torch
08-10-2003, 12:35 PM
PayPal could be bad but for someone with a small amount of customers who want to pay this way it might work. I would probably clean out the funds regularly in case they (PayPal) locked it for whatever reason. A regular merchant account seems to be the safest bet.

Tim Canavan
08-15-2003, 11:20 AM
I just got my credit card machine in. I got it mostly for the landscape jobs. This way I can offer and alternative way to pay and most likely my competition cannot. I have had many people put off jobs they wanted done or try and find someone cheaper just because I didn't offer credit cards. I am definitely convinced I will get more landscape jobs because of it.
I will also offer current maintenance customers a way to pay up front and give them a percentage off. This will generate more cash flow.
I think it will also help to collect those slow payers.

The surrounding areas where I work in has been built on credit, much like the areas where you are. In this day and age of high tech everything and banking online, etc. why not give the customer another option?:D

Team Gopher
08-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Hi Tim,

"This way I can offer and alternative way to pay and most likely my competition cannot. "

Excellent point !!!

JR Lawns
08-18-2003, 04:01 PM
I offer paypal and my customers love it! I have a page setup with all my services, they click on the one they wamt to pay for and that is it, easy as pie...

I require pre-payment for my services, or payment when I do the lawn service... I do not start anything till I have their money.. With paypal it allows the cutmer to pay at their leasuire prior to me coming out, and then there is no need for them to be there when I get there.

No going to the bank, no sending out invoices, no bounced checks.. 90% of my customers prefer this method to tradtional froms of payment.. As do I.

www.jrlawns.com/payment.htm

And that pay pal sucks site.. I take that, and all other sites like that with a grain of Salt... Any company out there that does the volume of pay-apl is gonna piss someone off... I mean just look at any company that size and there will be someone that has set up a site to bash them...

AOL, Microsoft, Pay-pal, IBM, EDS the list goes on...

studentlawn
08-20-2003, 10:54 PM
btw, what percentage do the credit card companies take for using their services?

Team Gopher
08-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi Studentlawn,

Here is an interesting article (http://www.smartfrogs.com/ccwars.html)explaining that topic in more detail.