PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Spray?

LoneStarLawn
10-03-2000, 12:33 AM
Is it neccessary to use pruning spray on trees that you prune...Pros..cons. I heard it wasn't but here in Texas oak trees should be sprayed aftering pruning. It has been over a month since the pruning has taken place as well. The reason I'm asking is because a customer is concerned about her oak that we pruned without the spray and wants us to spary it...

paul
10-03-2000, 12:45 AM
With proper pruning cuts you don't need spray, in fact you can do more harm than good with them, most will stop the tree from healing it's self. mother nature can fix her problems, the tree should start healing around the wound in the frist year.

BUSHMASTER
10-03-2000, 12:51 AM
i did the first year out ...you know wanted to do right ... but then i ran out and never brought any again ,and haven't had any problems plus most trees "bleed" and that starts its own scab.

MOW ED
10-03-2000, 08:28 AM
Up here in WI. we have a cutoff day for pruning the oaks because of oak wilt disease. I believe the disease is transmitted by bugs into wounds on the oaks. I think the cutoff day is April 1. I think they can start again after the first frost.
I have heard the same thing that Paul has stated above. I don't do many trees anymore. I just make money on what falls from them.

gusbuster
10-03-2000, 10:25 AM
Here in the San Francisco area, A diease yet to be properly identified is spreading like wild fire on any variety of oak tree. Many of the ways the ag department is saying the diease is spreading is: open cuts or wounds, cut wood, pollen, acorns. They don't know for sure or even what kind of(strain) a diease. One of the solutions is to spray Isotex, after any trimming. I guess there not even sure if it's a fungus or diease.
John

Stinger
10-03-2000, 10:33 AM
Lone Star, My arborist said try to seal any cuts 3" and up if possible. When thoroughly trimming and pruning large trees there is no way to spray every little thing. A healthy tree will form a knot over the wound and recover quickly. It just takes longer on larger cuts. With the Oak Wilt going around people have widely varing opinions on the latest greatest way to trim and prune trees. Hope you don't start a pissin' contest here!

powerreel
10-03-2000, 09:17 PM
Just don't ever CHOP THE HEAD OFF of a tree.